Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2012 jeep grand Cherokee and was wondering if mopar made an upgradeable subwoofer to put in the jeep? I like the sub now but would like a little more beat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Limited 4x4
1,057 Posts
Not that I know of, and not that would be worth it it they did. The downfall is the plastic, flimsy enclosure. You can probably enhance performance by beefing up the OE enclosure, and add an aftermarket sub. It really needs a decent amp to shine as well. The alpine system is pathetic. There, I said it (again).

·
Premium Member
2018 JGC Limited
548 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2012 jeep grand Cherokee and was wondering if mopar made an upgradeable subwoofer to put in the jeep? I like the sub now but would like a little more beat.

Thanks.

JL makes a stealth box that has the same footprint as the OEM sub. Pair that with an amp and it makes for a nice upgrade others have said. I keep going back and forth in my head about starting an audio upgrade, if I did that would be part of it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just stiffen the factory box using bed liner in a can or rubberized undercoating. I've seen it done multiple times on other vehicles. Save your money on an overpriced JL stealth box. Plenty of good 8's will fit just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Just stiffen the factory box using bed liner in a can or rubberized undercoating. I've seen it done multiple times on other vehicles. Save your money on an overpriced JL stealth box. Plenty of good 8's will fit just fine.
Greetings,

Yes, you can go that route and stiffen the oem sub box. The are a number of fantastic 8 inch sub woofers out their.

Just a few problems I can see. For the good woofers from Alpine and JL Audio as an example, the box is not tuned right. The DSP from factory amp does a tremendous injustice in the frequency setup. The power is lacking and still lacking. The cheaper 8 inch drivers will sound the same as you had before.

It is cheaper for me to go with the overpriced JL Audio Stealth box, then going with a custom enclosure. Aa a matter in fact, I was planning dual thin 8 inch sub one for each side. The cost was not worth it. It is too bad that I missed out on the Boston Acoustics top of line sub.

This just my opinion.

Best for now.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
As long as you seal it good, and pick a sub that performs well in the cu/ft space it will sound decent and save a ton of money. Plenty of 8"s out there that will sound just fine in that enclosure when sealed properly. If you need a little extra power buy a decent/cheap Class D amp.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but, do you spray the outside of the plastic enclosure then reinstall?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just make darn sure you stiffen and seal the box good. Use bed liner or something similar. Coat the outsde and inside. Mine is like a brick and heavy. Use a dual 2ohm sub as well.

·
Premium Member
SRT
500 Posts
I learned a valuable lesson of looking at a certain speakers, amps, etc and then going with the next model up but only pushing the budget out a tiny bit. In the end you don't say to yourself "if only..." so soon after buying.

Also, as far as subwoofers go, a lot of car audio guys are simply into car audio and will be quite helpful regardless of how much you spent with them. They love to talk and tell you what brand and model does what and how it performs.

I'm sure the volume of the stock enclosure is somewhere on this site, but you can work out the volume is to take big bubbles or popcorn for packing, fill up the enclosure as much as you can then transfer the bubbles/popcorn to a square cardboard box and then measure the volume of the box (h x w x d). Then go to different quality subwoofer models and see which one meets your volume requirements.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts