Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this mess today at the rear-most intake plenum. The white sound deadening material seems to be from on top of the glove box. I have no idea how old this is, but was wondering if anyone has an answer on how to block off passage to the inside most likely via the cabin air filter.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2020 WK2 - previous Jeeps:XJ, WK
322 Posts
They are persistent but a rodent should not be able to get access to the cabin air filter. That area is sealed off when the hood is closed. I have noticed also that there’s a flap door that rotates down to close off the filter. I’m not sure but I think the climate control has to be turned right off for that door to close.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Everytime i changed the air filter on my old Jeep Patriot there was a mouse nest in there.
They somehow got into my old Dodge Neon cabin and made them selves a mouse hotel, same with my old Ford Ranger which was stored in my pole barn before i sold it.

Pull the cabin air filter to verify if thats where their entry.
Peppermint oil, sonic devices, snap traps and 5 gal. mouse traps have all worked well in my experience.

I can't prove this but since i've been using Turtle Wax ODOR-X i've had zero problems with mice.
In addition to spraying it in the cabin every time i park my vehicles for the night i also give a squirt where the tires meet the floor.

I also have a feral cat hanging around my property. When i remember i lay a pile of cheap cat food near my garage which also helps.
Never actually seen the cat, but the food is always gone with its tell tale footprints in the snow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I was looking at this issue I saw that the flapper door was open and I could see the cabin filter. A few minutes later I saw the flapper closing on it's own, motor off. Weird.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My cabin filter flap/door has been open every time I've looked, I think it's the default position unless you turn on re-circulate mode

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
That's very likely. I know I was surprised when it was closed one day and I couldn't see the air filter. I played around with it got it to open and close but now I forget what the trick was. It's minus 25 degrees here tonight and the jeep has a layer of snow on it, so I won't be trying to figure it out tonight.

·
Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
705 Posts
Hate mice! Few years ago, I accidentally left a bag of dog food in the garage one weekend and look where the mice stashed it. That was half of 40lb bag. I just hate them!

Wood Cuisine Auto part Dish Natural foods

·
Registered
283 Posts
Aiyer
That's hilarious. Sorry, but it is funny, sorry.

Reactions: Tj13 and Aiyer

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Wow...that mouse was very busy!! I had one get into the headliner of my WK. It peed in the dome light. I discovered it when I tried to turn the light on and it dribbled down my arm. So, you can imagine how I feel about mice.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I'm a long time member of the 'hate mice' club.
They got into my tool drawers in my pole barn and made a mess, infiltrated my Patriot, Ranger an Neon.
Further they can carry diseases so i always wear latex gloves and a respirator when cleaning mouse nests and discarding their carcasses from traps.

The worse is if one dies in a vehicle.
Had definite indications of a mouse that somehow got inside my Neon so i set a snap trap on the floor board and forgot about it.
Its was hell to pay to get rid of the stink.....lesson learned, check the traps every day.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean Moparado. I was very worried that the mouse had died and I would soon smell it. Fortunately for the mouse and me it must have gotten out. The urine smell was bad enough. Even though I think I got rid of the stink, we still imagined it was there. That encouraged me that it was time to trade up to what I drive now.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean Moparado. I was very worried that the mouse had died and I would soon smell it. Fortunately for the mouse and me it must have gotten out. The urine smell was bad enough. Even though I think I got rid of the stink, we still imagined it was there. That encouraged me that it was time to trade up to what I drive now.
Do what i did and set a snap trap in the cabin.....but don't do what i did and forget about it.
Check the trap every day to give peace of mind that its gone.
Mice have excellent sniffers which can smell peanut butter, tootsie rolls or cheeze a mile away.

When i first moved into my property some 22 years ago, i heard scurrying up above the garage ceiling whenever i opened the door.
Long story short, i ended up trapping 23+ of them blastards in my garage in a matter of a couple weeks.

Another thing if parked in a garage or pole barn using sonic devices.
In my experience multiple sonic devices need to inserted in every available electrical outlet.
Again in my experience just one doesn't get the job.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Yes, but first find out how they’re getting in, and block it!

·
Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
705 Posts
I have mice poison things around the garage and I place them in places my dog or daughter can't find them. I have seen bite marks on them, but never found the body. I also think that they can squeeze themselves in any tiny hole to enter the garage.

@moparado Do those sonic things actually work? I read online that they hate the smell of fabric softener dryer sheets, so I use them now. I also drive my car in winter every couple of weeks so they do not think the car is their new home! LOL

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I hate mice poison things around the garage and I place them in places my dog or daughter can't find them. I have seen bite marks on them, but never found the body. I also think that they can squeeze themselves in any tiny hole to enter the garage.

@moparado Do those sonic things actually work? I read online that they hate the smell of fabric softener dryer sheets, so I use them now. I also drive my car in winter every couple of weeks so they do not think the car is their new home! LOL
Sonic devices do work but it i think it depends on the space they're protecting.
For example, a few years ago i placed 3 sonic devices in my large 2-1/2 car garage along with 3 snap traps.
Since then i have never trapped a mouse in the garage.

On the other hand with my large 50'x70' pole barn i use about 6 sonic devices along with about 6 snap traps spread around the barn where i occasionally still find mice in the traps.
I park my F150 in the barn and as i said earlier i spray the Odor-X in the cabin and where the rubber meets the road.
So far no indications of any mice in the truck.

One other thing i do is place a few those car odor freshener pods under each vehicle and leave them. I place them so i can drive right over them when i park for the night.
Those things last for months and i also think they deter mice from snooping around under vehicles.

Far as poisons i won't use them primarily because of pets and kids.
Also I occasionaly find a snake slithering around in the barn which is a natural mouse exterminator so i let them be and don't want to jeopardize killing them with mouse poison or eating a poisoned mouse.
And like you said, if a mouse dies in an inaccessible area it'll take a couple weeks for the stink to finally go away.

Reactions: Aiyer

·
Registered
8 Posts
in addition to sonic devices, you can also use irish spring bar soap around the fender well area. Also look into a product called rid a rat ( amazon ) it emits a strobe of light that those pesty varmits dont like.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
in addition to sonic devices, you can also use irish spring bar soap around the fender well area. Also look into a product called rid a rat ( amazon ) it emits a strobe of light that those pesty varmits dont like.
Yeah far as i can tell mice like to make their nests in dark areas so the strobe light would probably work in the engine bay and other areas.
I think you're right also about the fender well where it meets the door areas. Thats how i think they were getting into my old Neon but can't prove it.
Dam mice and they multiply like flies if not eradicated soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
JGC Limited CRD
43 Posts
Found this mess today at the rear-most intake plenum. The white sound deadening material seems to be from on top of the glove box. I have no idea how old this is, but was wondering if anyone has an answer on how to block off passage to the inside most likely via the cabin air filter. View attachment 239696
Found this mess today at the rear-most intake plenum. The white sound deadening material seems to be from on top of the glove box. I have no idea how old this is, but was wondering if anyone has an answer on how to block off passage to the inside most likely via the cabin air filter. View attachment 239696
Had this happen a couple years ago on my 2014 WK2 Diesel, mouse used the exhaust insulation from the EGR system, glad it didn’t mess with any of the wires. Installed electronic pest repellent on top of air filter box, wired to battery, never had a problem agIan.
1998 Suburban, about the same time, mouse built nest in main engine air filter housing, that was a mess, no power running rough, took a while to find, used same cure for that.

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori. Torque- 367 Nm/271 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm
225 Posts
Never had a mouse problem, but in a factory where I worked we had a massive rat problem
They built their nests in insulated corrugated walls and we could hear them scratching all over the place, which was freaking creepy on night shifts
Fork lift drivers would run the buggers over or attack them with spades. One managed to batter one, so he dissected it and put it all over a manager's car
For the next few weeks, dead rats were found everywhere...on cars in the car park, in the toilets, in the offices, in people's lockers...oh our dear Fork Lift drivers had some awesome humour...

*if you really want to play a good practical joke on someone, then put a dead fish somewhere in their car- best place is on their exhaust manifold, tucked out of sight- it'll take them a while to figire it out 😉

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
19 Posts
Came across this thread and had to reply, with a question. I was looking at several of the mouse blocker devices, all of which say they have to be connected, or wired to the battery. With the battery under the seat it’s not ideal with the short wire. Does anyone have advice on connecting one of those devices with the strobe light and sound that’s supposed to keep those mice out? I gets lots of mice running the garage and looking to protect my limited from wires getting chewed up.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts