Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Grandokee Overland
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it to my favorite exhaust-system shop, Mighty Muf'ler in Phoenix, to see what I might do to add a little character to the sound. From the outside, it's a very quiet car. From the inside, it's so quiet I can hardly tell the engine is running.

The owner thought that replacing the center muffler would be complicated (= expensive); he suggested we start by removing the rear muffler. (He thought it was so large, it wasn't just an antiresonator.)

Off it came, and I test-drove it. Sounded great as near as I could tell, so on went a replacement pipe and the same oval tip I've bought many of over the years.

It now sounds GREAT--the exhaust noise inside the car is just loud enough to be heard, and outside, too, it sounds wonderful.

Interestingly, this system won't let me use outside-hosted images, nor can I upload images to this site. See
Exhaust Photos by jeffreybehr | Photobucket
...for pics.

$94! I'm VERY happy.

Oh yes--it does NOT drone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi jeffrey, great find. Would it be possible to take and upload a video so we can see what it sounds like?

·
Registered
'15 Grandokee Overland
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any sound clip yet?

Although I really don't believe you can get a good V8 type rumble out of these v6's. But I'm hoping so.
No; sorry. I'll try to get my son to do that.

It definitely sounds like a V6 and NOT a V8.

In the summer of '03 I bought a new '04 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I LOVED that 'car'; it was the finest vehicle I had ever owned, and with 1st-rear ratio of almost 5:1, a 2-speed t-case, a very versatile variable-ride-height air suspension, and an off-pavement package, it was HIGHLY effective off-pavement.

But it was quiet, sounding not at all like a high-performance 450HP V8. On each exhaust bank, it had a turbo and 2 cats. Both exhaust pipes dumped into a HUGE stainless-steel muffler behind the rear axle. So off to Mighty Muf'ler the Cayenne went, where, as a first attempt and to see and hear what the result would be, we removed the muffler and replaced it with a pair of straight pipes. (I have to get going very soon; will post pics this afternoon.) The result was the sounds of a high-performance V8 that made just enough noise to sound FABULOUS. My Cayenne was the envy of MANY Cayenne owners I ran into at the Porsche dealership and at Porsche Club meetings.

I just wish my JGC sounded like that, but it's a V6 and not a V8.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
1,011 Posts
I'll bump this and post a video in 24 hours. Love the sound now, just slightly louder with a burp burp but hardly and drone on the highway. Cost me 25 for a black tip and 10 for pipe.

·
Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
2000 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/Select-trac
9,250 Posts
No; sorry. I'll try to get my son to do that.

It definitely sounds like a V6 and NOT a V8.

In the summer of '03 I bought a new '04 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I LOVED that 'car'; it was the finest vehicle I had ever owned, and with 1st-rear ratio of almost 5:1, a 2-speed t-case, a very versatile variable-ride-height air suspension, and an off-pavement package, it was HIGHLY effective off-pavement.

But it was quiet, sounding not at all like a high-performance 450HP V8. On each exhaust bank, it had a turbo and 2 cats. Both exhaust pipes dumped into a HUGE stainless-steel muffler behind the rear axle. So off to Mighty Muf'ler the Cayenne went, where, as a first attempt and to see and hear what the result would be, we removed the muffler and replaced it with a pair of straight pipes. (I have to get going very soon; will post pics this afternoon.) The result was the sounds of a high-performance V8 that made just enough noise to sound FABULOUS. My Cayenne was the envy of MANY Cayenne owners I ran into at the Porsche dealership and at Porsche Club meetings.

I just wish my JGC sounded like that, but it's a V6 and not a V8.
what that? need a v8 like rumble from a six
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn_27pKBOOU

just joking, but this is my 3.7 WK...please post one of your 3.6, ive heard the 3.6 charger/challenger but the 3.6 Grand will sound different

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.