Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best use for CarPlay is blocked by Apple. You can't run apps as Waze or Google maps through it. It's idiotic and the main reason I won't buy it.

I'm happy to share that I've got a smart box to have this well solved. Everything functions as it should. All of my apps are there and Youtube, Spotify, Waze, Gaia all work great. Others have said that there was some lag, but I haven't really noticed it. I think you would have to be extremely picky to pick up on it. The sound quality is the same to me on Youtube and Spotify as in wired mode. The music plays the way it should and I have only had one instance where it stuttered/buffered. Compared to the number of times my wired connection has just lost connection for no reason, I'll take it.

And I really enjoy watching Youtube when I was in the parking lot and outdoors.
Here’s the one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a cool product, I'd love to see a photo of how it's mounted in your Jeep! My 2018 with CarPlay does have Waze and Google Maps functionality but not all native phone features as this seems to, great price also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a cool product, I'd love to see a photo of how it's mounted in your Jeep! My 2018 with CarPlay does have Waze and Google Maps functionality but not all native phone features as this seems to, great price also.
It's quite small, compact, and unobtrusive and super easy to set up. Just plug it into the USB port inside your center armrest.
After initial connection Smart Box connects automatically and flawlessly as long as your iPhone is in the car and then the car is started.

·
Registered
'14 Laredo, '14 Overland, '18 Overland
50 Posts
The only downside I see to this (and similar devices) is that if you use it for wireless connection of Nav (Waze, Maps) for a long trip, your phone battery will run down quickly......so you will have to plug it in anyway. However, if the makers had put a wireless charger into it, you could lay your phone on top. This would be particularly handy in a Jeep GC as the "dongle" has to be plugged into the usb port in the console storage under the radio. You could just place your phone on top of the unit and your good to go. Just sayin'.

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
The best use for CarPlay is blocked by Apple. You can't run apps as Waze or Google maps through it. It's idiotic and the main reason I won't buy it.
That was true long ago, but Google Maps and Waze have been operable on Apple CarPlay for a long time now. I only use Google Maps when traveling and it's worked great for as long as I've had CarPlay available in a vehicle. (years) Perhaps you have a very old version of iOS??

·
Registered
262 Posts
I run Waze in Carplay on my 2019 with no issues. I thought all 2018's had Carplay. There's no buying, it comes pre-loaded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts