Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GCO
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed drips on my driveway where I park, under the drivers side below the bumper. I finally had time tonight to pull the lower front panels off and attempt to diagnose.

At first it looked like a coolant hose to the power steering system. There was dirty oil on the lowest part of the lowest hose. There is a plastic guide for the collant lines just above this area and I figured the hose might have rubbed through and developed a pinhole leak. My power steering reservoir is a little low but not below the min line.

But then I noticed that the lower part of the condenser is riddled with small dents. The lower panel has an opening that gives a straight shot facing forward. And the lower left corner, above the wet hose, is wet with oil. There is also a small amount of wetness on the passenger side. Mabe stone or gravel hits on just the right spots caused pinhole leaks. My AC blows cold, for now.

I've never had an AC system leak through a condenser before. The systems that I've filed in the past have been pre-oiled, so I've just let in refrigerant.

Am I looking in the right area for an oil leak? Anyone else experienced this? Some of you off-road gravel slingers must have.

I cleaned the whole area with detergent, detail brushes and water and left the panels off so I can keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2012 GCO
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turns out that the condenser and the transmission cooler use the same core, so it was tranny fluid that was leaking. Since the trans cooler portion is on the top, it wasn't a leak caused by a rock hitting the core but the core, over time, lost seal with the side tank. A small leak dripped down into the condenser section.

Two ways to access the condenser, and the better way is to remove the front bumper cover. In spite of this guys odd hand gestures, this is the best explanation on how to do this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fg-GaTuUj8&t

1 - 3 of 3 Posts