Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GC High Altitude
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello community,

Long story short, a deer hit me and caused the drivers side curtain airbag to deploy which I hear requires complete vehicle seat belt replacement. Been waiting for seat belts for over 3 months and all I hear is national back order. I am losing my mind over this and can't comprehend why there's such a shortage of seat belts even with Covid-19. Jeep says they're sorry and wish they could help so pretty sure this will be the last Jeep anything I own.

Does anyone know anyone that can help me, the level of frustration is high-high!!

Thank you in advance,

·
Registered
2018 GC High Altitude
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the quote from the body shop:
Parts $9873.80
Labor $4747.50
Towing $0.00
Other $1824.74
Total estimate
$16446.04

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6
76 Posts
that is absolutely absurd. none of this is under warranty?

·
Registered
323 Posts
All belts? Or just driver side? Does it have something that makes all belts tighten when the airbag deploys or something? Never heard of that before. Hope it works out soon, sounds frustrating.

·
Registered
2018 GC High Altitude
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All belts? Or just driver side? Does it have something that makes all belts tighten when the airbag deploys or something? Never heard of that before. Hope it works out soon, sounds frustrating.
My understanding is that after an airbag deployment sensors tell the seat belts to lock (which is a one time use system) and then they're unusable after. My frustration meter is pegged!

·
Registered
179 Posts
My understanding is that after an airbag deployment sensors tell the seat belts to lock (which is a one time use system) and then they're unusable after. My frustration meter is pegged!
Try Seat Belt Repair Service & Airbag Reset | Safety Restore - Safety ( I am not affiliated in any way, FWIW)

We sometimes buy Copart vehicles for fun and for other offroad builds. They have been great for us. I even seem to remember them rebuilding seatbelts out of a Trackhawk a couple years ago for an extremely popular YouTube channel. Worth a shot. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Seat belts only work 1 time. I think there are pre tensioners on the belts too. The pre tension ers tighten the belts some once the airbag system initiates.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello community,

Long story short, a deer hit me and caused the drivers side curtain airbag to deploy which I hear requires complete vehicle seat belt replacement. Been waiting for seat belts for over 3 months and all I hear is national back order. I am losing my mind over this and can't comprehend why there's such a shortage of seat belts even with Covid-19. Jeep says they're sorry and wish they could help so pretty sure this will be the last Jeep anything I own.

Does anyone know anyone that can help me, the level of frustration is high-high!!

Thank you in advance,
This is not unique to Jeep vehicles. Friend has a GMC pickup, and truck was in the shop over 6 months waiting for parts. After the bodywork was completed, the holdup was electrical parts. He was justifiably upset that he had to pay the car payment and insurance all that time, and exhausted the rental car allowance. This is all related to the "supply chain" issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello community,

Thank you in advance,
The insurance should cover it i hope good luck

·
Registered
2018 GC High Altitude
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the reply's everyone, my spoiled butt just needs to sit tight and hope I get lucky soon. My apologies if my post came across like I'm alone in my situation during these times, it's just that we're talking seat belts here..

Luckily, I was in a position where I could buy a 2nd car until the GC's released from seat belt jail! :p Had I known it was going to take this long I would've started car shopping a few weeks sooner and saved some money on the rental. Sure do hope those of us out there in limbo over supply chain issues get some relief soon.
Try Seat Belt Repair Service & Airbag Reset | Safety Restore - Safety ( I am not affiliated in any way, FWIW)

We sometimes buy Copart vehicles for fun and for other offroad builds. They have been great for us. I even seem to remember them rebuilding seatbelts out of a Trackhawk a couple years ago for an extremely popular YouTube channel. Worth a shot. Good luck!
Definitely going to look into this, thank you for the link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the process of finishing a 2019 High Altitude I bought at an insurance auction. I ordered both Rt & Lt front seat belts, in black. One side was in a local PDC, the other my parts guy said he was to call Mopar. He said he would let me know what's going on.

·
Registered
2018 GC High Altitude
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of finishing a 2019 High Altitude I bought at an insurance auction. I ordered both Rt & Lt front seat belts, in black. One side was in a local PDC, the other my parts guy said he was to call Mopar. He said he would let me know what's going on.
Just got off the phone with the body shop and the drivers belt is still on national BO. They're calling the ins. co. to see if restoring the original belt is allowed.. Wish me luck please!

Update Shop called and said Insurance co. approves but I have to do it on my own dime and then will be reimbursed.

Thanks a lot to @Thunderspud for the link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My belts will be in by Feb 2nd, I'm being told. One thing to keep in mind, when you get the belts rebuilt. The charge for the tensioner is not repaired. So I would still want the new belts. They will lock p in an accident, but will not pull tighter, when the charge is deployed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My belts will be in by Feb 2nd, I'm being told. One thing to keep in mind, when you get the belts rebuilt. The charge for the tensioner is not repaired. So I would still want the new belts. They will lock p in an accident, but will not pull tighter, when the charge is deployed.
Are you sure this is the case with the repair service linked above? I don't know enough about it to be confident one way or the other, but the descriptions of the repairs on the site sure seem to include the very thing you're referring to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you sure this is the case with the repair service linked above? I don't know enough about it to be confident one way or the other, but the descriptions of the repairs on the site sure seem to include the very thing you're referring to.
I was told that the charge was not repairable. I had mine rebuilt, and they do not retract properly. I sent them back and they still are not right. And I don't want to have a buckle slammed in a door and damage anything. The seatbelts for our vehicles are pretty reasonably pried compared to some vehicles. I used myairbags.com. I had my module cleared by them and had no issues. But the retractors aren't right.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely gonna reach out to them next week and see what I information I can wrangle from them.
FWIW, I have had zero issues with the rebuilt ones we had done in regards to the retractor mechanism, which seems to be what you are describing above. As far as the pretensioners goes, I guess you can't really test that until you need it.....so not sure what to do with that info. Just seems odd they mention repairing that exact thing, if they aren't actually able to do it.

·
Registered
2018 GC High Altitude
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The pretensioner service has to be added to the cart in addition to the seat belt repair. I'll make sure to order that if needed which I'm pretty sure it will be.

Thanks for the information

1 - 19 of 19 Posts