Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JGC Summit
456 Posts
Bumping this in case anyone else wants to see it. If I can convince my wife not to kill me for ripping apart our brand new Jeep, I'm going to get that damn CD player out! I hate that both Jeeps I was considering buying had them. A friend might be doing the same thing on his.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced mine, ordered it online from U. S. Still with postage and dollar less than half the price the Australian jeep dealer wanted for one

Best thing I've done, that CD player drove me nuts everytime I lifted the lid

·
Registered
Jeep Summit
291 Posts
Thanks for the walk through! Just finished swapping the CD player for the console on my 2014 4wd summit. Much better!

On the 4wd, the terrain selector is held in by 4 metal clips that latch. You cannot just pry the selector out willy-nilly per the manual or you will bend the clips and it will rattle, so you need to compress each clip located about an inch in from each corner. Better to just skip removing the terrain selector and just remove the shifter and shifter trim and get it out of your way. You have plenty of wire to reach under the panel and disconnect the terrain selector.

I heard the shifter can throw a code if removed so I was concerned about that. I removed it and left the battery applied so I could move my seats but did not start the engine. I disconnected the battery before re-installing the shifter and didn't get any codes thrown after that.

Also, watch out for the short plasticalignment pins on the console lid, it is easy to break one off if you try to wrestle it before lifting it up. (Two pins next to the group of three screws.
I want to do mine this weekend but I'm a little hesitant. All those plastic clips and pins..:confused:

I thought I read someplace how to remove the shifter knob but I can't find it in this thread. I'd rather not remove the selector knob as well.

How do I remove it Xion?

How long should it take to start to finish?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Jeep Summit
291 Posts
Try WK2jeeps.com. The site has PDF that shows how to remove the entire interior basically.
Thanks dcorn, yeah they have a wealth of info there. A little bit on the vague side. But still better then going in blind. Think I might stop and pick up the trim stick that they mention for removing trim pieces C-4755. Seems to be a universal little tool when you need to remove something from the interior.

Thanks

·
Registered
Grand CherokeeLaredo
401 Posts
Thanks to the pic's and info from members here, I've hit the go button on a bin for my Laredo. I included two oil filters too. Sourced them from; Mopar Parts Overstock - Shop OEM Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Parts Online

Dealer charged me $82 Aussie for the filter this week.

Freight was $68 for the lot.

Looking forward to the bin and being able to use the under arm rest for "real" storage. ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, next project for me. Mine came with the Cd as well, the summit's have a 2nd storage area which requires a different top piece as well, not sure if the overlands without Cd have it but it was kindda handy

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
Grand CherokeeLaredo
401 Posts
Thanks to the pic's and info from members here, I've hit the go button on a bin for my Laredo. I included two oil filters too. Sourced them from; Mopar Parts Overstock - Shop OEM Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Parts Online

Dealer charged me $82 Aussie for the filter this week.

Freight was $68 for the lot.

Looking forward to the bin and being able to use the under arm rest for "real" storage. ;)
Bin arrived today with the two oil filters inside. Looks like a project this weekend. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Has anyone swapped out the CD player for a DVD in combination with Lockpick or Rax Jailbreaker? If so, where did you find it?
i haven't tried it myself yet but i've read elsewhere that the physical drive is always the same CD/DVD/BD drive. Apparently if you just put MP3's on a DVD or BD it will play them in a "CD" equipped vehicle.

I'm not sure if the harness on CD only models has the video lines between the cd and the head unit. If it did then i'd guess customtronix could enable the appropriate software if asked. But just a guess.

I actually think i've seen drives for RAM trucks on the customronix website so contacting them would probably be a good start. Sounds like they can enable the CD big but makes no mention of video. .RAX OEM CD player | Customtronix

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just removed my CD player and installed the full size center bin. Here are my observations.

1. The original poster's directions are fantastic. Disassembling interiors (especially on a brand new vehicle) is very intimidating. These instructions made it a very straight forward swap
  2. I have a 4WD. With a stubby phillips screwdriver it is not a problem to remove the screws that are under the center console.
  3. Post #13 shows where to install the micro-switch for console LED. Again, I would have never figured that out. I spliced into the console 12V adapter leads to power the LED. It worked fine.
One problem: closing the console lid does not trigger the micro-switch. The light stays on all the time. I put my iPhone in the console and shot video while closing the lid to confirm that the light stays on. The non-CD console lid must have a different configuration or there is another piece that mounts onto the micro-switch lever. The way it is now, there is no way for the console lid to trigger the switch. I have the switch unhooked for now until I figure this out. :confused:

If anyone has figured this out, let me know.

regards,
Willyswan

·
Registered
Laredo
10 Posts
Has anyone tried removing the CD player on an Australian Export model MY14 with the RA3 8.4A head unit? The dealer is telling me the whole head units shits itself if you disconnect the CD player?? Was going to have a try myself or take it to a car stereo installer.

Already got the full size bin ready to go.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Yes, Aus members have done it. Read through this thread for their details.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bin arrived today with the two oil filters inside. Looks like a project this weekend. :thumbsup:
I ordered the exact same a month ago. Arrived promptly, except they provided the console to suit the CD player model. I did order with the correct part number.
They have ignored all 5 of my polite emails, so I did a PayPay claim. They ignored PayPal, so PayPal refunded all my payment today, including freight.
"We were able to recover $151.15 USD, and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow 5 business days for this adjustment to be posted".
They also operate under "MoparPartsOverstock.com is operated by Lakeland Motors LLC., an authorized Chrysler Group dealer."
Why would a supplier ignore a customer? :mad:
So I can't recommend this USA dealer.
Cheers.

·
Registered
Grand CherokeeLaredo
401 Posts
I ordered the exact same a month ago. Arrived promptly, except they provided the console to suit the CD player model. I did order with the correct part number.
They have ignored all 5 of my polite emails, so I did a PayPay claim. They ignored PayPal, so PayPal refunded all my payment today, including freight.
"We were able to recover $151.15 USD, and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow 5 business days for this adjustment to be posted".
They also operate under "MoparPartsOverstock.com is operated by Lakeland Motors LLC., an authorized Chrysler Group dealer."
Why would a supplier ignore a customer? :mad:
So I can't recommend this USA dealer.
Cheers.
BUGGER ! :slapfight:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Once the CD player is removed, is there a way to get the CD icon on the head unit to go away. I bought my 2014 and the CD player had already been removed by the 1st owner but it still shows up as a icon on my head unit. Not a big deal but I noticed when I was in a friends GC that never had a CD player, he doesn't have the icon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the part number for this change to 68212885AA? Looks like this now applies to the JGC. I have a '14 JGC SRT and plan on doing this soon.

·
Registered
Altitude
82 Posts
parts.com has it for $66
looks like 68212885AA is for grand cherokee, the other one listed is showing for durango which may be the same.

Is this bin any deeper compared to the one with the cd player ?
could a kind user measure the depth of the inside :)

41 - 60 of 98 Posts