Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
GC Overland
5 Posts
First of all, thanks to Nikon858 - your photos and instructions helped a lot. Removed CD in my GC couple of weeks ago. But then another problem appeared when I visited my dealer to do recalls P44, P64, S49 - all are software upgrades in control modules. The issue appeared after they finished P44, P64 and started S49 (auto-parking) - they call me and asked whether my car were equipped with CD, I confirmed and told I removed it. They told me - instrument panel module is trying to communicate with CD or Uconnect (not sure) and not receiving proper reply - generate errors in the memory, and not allow to upgrade software. So they were unable to complete S49 recall.
Does anyone know how to fix it? Dealer proposed to install CD back, to complete recall :D

PS My photo-story https://www.drive2.ru/l/455009798484656480/

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2 Posts
Hi Nikon

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee and I hate that stupid cd changer...

The part number that you have listed, some online retailers have it as for a Dodge Durango... did you or anyone else have that problem?

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
14 GC Sum 06 GC 5.7
322 Posts
I took mine out in January 2014 and have not had a problem since I
did it. I've also done a software update and all is well.

It's a 2014 Diesel and I just love it; if you can love a vehicle. lol

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Anyone have an update to this? Looking to take my CD player out of my 15 SRT, but don't want issues down road.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
I removed mine nearly 3yrs ago and never had an issue. IF your in sydney im about to remove my console bin and refit the Cd player as im trading in soon so can sell you my bin if you dont have one already. PM if interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking to swap my cd and bin out for a regular bin and swap the console lid for one with the uppper/coin tray too. Anyone out there want to trade? Or just buy my cd/bin/lid once I get it out? Mine is coming out of a 2014 GC Overland with black interior.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
5 Posts
I've been watching this thread for some time and the big question is: Has anyone found a good spot to relocate the CD player? I really want to get my armrest space back, but dont want to lose the CD player.

·
Registered
GC Limited
399 Posts
I've been watching this thread for some time and the big question is: Has anyone found a good spot to relocate the CD player? I really want to get my armrest space back, but dont want to lose the CD player.
I haven't fitted mine yet (had it for over 3 yrs... shameful hey) but my intention is to install a plug to the players wiring loom and fit this inside the bin, then look at keeping the player with a matching plug and then plug it in when needed. Starting on this project next week.

·
Registered
GC Limited
399 Posts
Well it's a good news day...

I finally got around to fitting my Bin and a GME VHF Radio.

Took some nutting out over a couple of days, but I have solved all of the problems everyone has been concerned about.

* Bin installed with a perfectly working switch and light. (I like the light)
* Relocated the CD Player with an extended wiring harness, so no fault
codes to worry about and the CD works just fine and it is accessible (sort
of).
* Fitted and external Aerial to a special SS bracket to the LH side bonnet (or
should I say hood) edge to an existing bolt in the guard and also found an
easy cable entry in the firewall, very easy job.
* Fitted the GME Radio under the seat with external speaker extension under
the Dashboard.
* Connected the power for the Bin and Radio from an extension to the 12
volt outlet (cigarette lighter).
* Found the perfect location for the Microphone which can be stored out of
sight.

All in all very pleased with the job...

I did strike one problem and that was damage to the rubber coating on the gear shifter, it simply peels off... wow
Using a plastic tool (you all should have one) lift the top cap off the gear shifter, (just under the chrome strip), then remove the special screw which has a torks head, then slide off the shifter body and using your fingernail (or maybe a plastic scraper) remove the rubber coating, this will take about 15 mins work and wow you will find a high gloss finish, no wonder the coating comes off. (see photo)

My sincere thanks to those members who have done this before, your advice and instructions were invaluable, made my job so much easier.

When I get a chance I will give some more detailed instruction and photos to show what I have achieved.

'Love my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD'

Attachments

·
Registered
GC Limited
399 Posts
Thanks for the picture of the "Tang". That is exactly what I need to fabricate.

Regards,
Willyswan
Your welcome.. Just make sure the engaging part of the 'tang' is not too long as it will foul the plastic part of the bin.
You will also need to remove the inner plastic lining of the Arm rest lid, easy it just clips off. Then when you make your part (mine is made from a piece of alloy box tube) you need to fasten it with some small screws and retaining nuts, again not too long as they will hit the metal hinge arms when you replace the inner liner. Then lastly you need to remove (around 10mm) a small amount off the plastic side panel, just where the locating hole is on the top LH corner, this is so your new 'tang' has clearance to engage the lever on the switch.
Jobs a little 'fiddly' but easy.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I'm about to do this conversion this weekend. But I wanted to post this now for anyone still looking to do this swap.

1) All you need to convert the upper armrest is an armrest that has the dual tray (dual latches is the easiest way to spot it). This seems to be more common on ebay than the CD player covers with only one latch. Heres the good news....IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT COLOR CONSOLE YOU BUY! The console I received had a slightly different stitching color so I endeavored to see if FCA was too cheap to make different molds and sure enough its the same. All I did was pull the inner armrest liner off by starting at the latch side and it just comes apart. From there you can unscrew the double latch and swap it with the single latch components and screw it back together with the extra liner. 10 minute job and then you keep your exact armrest cover. This of course works in reverse if you are trying to convert to the CD player bin.

2) If anyone is looking for a complete kit of CD player, bin and Single latch shallow arm rest I will have the whole kit available soon. PM me.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts