Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Some of you have seen this at other sites so I apologize for the redundancy. But I HAD to show it off to my new buds here at JeepGarage.org!!!

Many of you have already seen my thread on my install of my Xtreme Digital 6500K Highs/Lows/Fogs HID's. If you haven't, I can move that thread over to this forum, too.

I decided to clean up the wiring a bit, and I also wanted to incorporate harnesses that use Bosch relays. I am still trying to get my SmartBeams to work with my HID's and the only thing I can think of is to try solid-state relays, which use the same ISO pinout as a Bosch relay. Eventually, I should be able to just swap the relays to try it.

Anyways, here are the results. I think it turned out well, let me know what you think:

First off, here was the final product of my first go around:

Here's another view of how I used to have it wired:

And here's the new IMPROVED setup:

Here's a comparison photo:

And both sides finished:

I moved the ballasts to better allow me to hide the wiring. As you can see, I've minimized the amount of exposed wiring:

I hard mounted the igniters this time instead of just letting them hang. I also labeled everything to minimize headaches in the event something malfunctions:

And finally, I relocated the relays to a more hidden position. This is, in my opinion, the coolest thing about the install:

Well, that's it guys. Everything works and even better than before. Let me know what you think

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
incredible work bro!!! cleanest install ever seen!!!

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
Wow!!! I wish I could do mine like that... Great work bro...Very clean work...

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
can we see pics of the hids please????

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'll pull the pics off the "other" site

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
do you also have hids in the reverse? if so how and where and how much and pics:)

thanks bro!

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here ya go!

Here are those turn signal bulbs in parking light mode
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

Look at how bright just the turn signal bulbs are! My goal was to have all forward facing lights be white.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

And here are the bulbs in turn signal mode.

Here are the lows and fogs on together

And the highs and lows on together

And here are the rear fog lights

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do you also have hids in the reverse? if so how and where and how much and pics:)

thanks bro!
I don't have reverse HID's... yet. I'm working with DCSpecial to make a kit that is better quality than the one that is currently offered by companies such as DaBear's. Those kits baiscally have you "epoxy" the bulbs to the housing - I'm not too big on that idea.

DC and I are trying to get some little aluminum adapters machined that would accept a std bulb size (say, H3 for example) and then twist into the housing, no epoxy needed. It's a work in progress.

YoungMedic has reverse HID's and even some pictures over at the red site. I don't wanna link there for fear of rule-breaking. Let me just say, they are SUPER BRIGHT! It really makes me want them!

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
I don't have reverse HID's... yet. I'm working with DCSpecial to make a kit that is better quality than the one that is currently offered by companies such as DaBear's. Those kits baiscally have you "epoxy" the bulbs to the housing - I'm not too big on that idea.

DC and I are trying to get some little aluminum adapters machined that would accept a std bulb size (say, H3 for example) and then twist into the housing, no epoxy needed. It's a work in progress.

YoungMedic has reverse HID's and even some pictures over at the red site. I don't wanna link there for fear of rule-breaking. Let me just say, they are SUPER BRIGHT! It really makes me want them!
pics look great bro!!! have you had any issues with the dual led bulbs? few people here are having issues with them not working properly. http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=7

yeah i have seen the youndmedic pics and they are bright!!!

i agree with you, i wouldn't want to epoxy anything in the lights! hopefully you can work something out! please keep us informed on that!

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pics look great bro!!! have you had any issues with the dual led bulbs? few people here are having issues with them not working properly. http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=7

yeah i have seen the youndmedic pics and they are bright!!!

i agree with you, i wouldn't want to epoxy anything in the lights! hopefully you can work something out! please keep us informed on that!
I have no issues with my bulbs. I'm willing to bet I know what the problem is with most of the guys. I'll check it out.

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
great!!! thanks!!! hopefully you can figure out the issue:)

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow... amazing install - so clean. I'm assuming you had to make your own wiring to have the lengths that you needed?

Makes me want to redo mine.
Yes, all the wiring is custom length, except for the ballast wiring, which cannot be shortened.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
Do you have any issues with the hid highs? To flash people do you have issues because the hid warm up's?

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you have any issues with the hid highs? To flash people do you have issues because the hid warm up's?
TBH, the highs are mainly just for show. The only time I (can) use them is on the loneliest of roads. The low beams project more than enough light for pretty much any driving situation I might encounter. I already get flashed occasionally with the low beams. It is like instant flash if I have my highs on.

If I flash someone, it does get their attention because HID's flash to full brightness when you first flick them on as the bulb arc "ignites". But yes, the warm up time is about 10 seconds. If I drive with them on and get them warmed up, I can flick them off and flick them back on within about 20 seconds without any noticeable brightness reduction.

However, I think we all know that this isn't good for the HID components. HID's are meant to come on and stay on. Repeated on/off switching will make them fail, or so I've been told. My experience with HID lights (5 years or so by now) is that even if you abuse HID lights, they will still outlast most halogens. They are just more expensive to replace when they do fail.

To date, I have NEVER experienced a failure of any HID component. This includes ballasts, bulbs, ignitors, relays, etc. NEVER!!!

Reactions: White WK Swagga
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.