Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Did you notice the projecter housing is not concentric with the headlight assembly hole? By that, I mean after install the light bulb, the bulb butt will not sit in the middle of the dust cap. The light bulb butt is off set to the edge of the dust cap edge.

Yes, but that doesn’t affect the lighting.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
187 Posts
Agreed that it doesn't affect lighting...with the VLEDs, thus far, the only dust cover issue I have is that the top bulges out slightly...so that I "might" not have 100% seal because the back edge of the LED is so close to the top. No issue with the light however. I think you'll have this same issue with many LEDs...including the ones that say they are designed to fit behind dust covers. I suppose you could buy aftermarket dust covers but I'm not sure what the flange diameter is for the Jeep Grand Cherokees.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agreed that it doesn't affect lighting...with the VLEDs, thus far, the only dust cover issue I have is that the top bulges out slightly...so that I "might" not have 100% seal because the back edge of the LED is so close to the top. No issue with the light however. I think you'll have this same issue with many LEDs...including the ones that say they are designed to fit behind dust covers. I suppose you could buy aftermarket dust covers but I'm not sure what the flange diameter is for the Jeep Grand Cherokees.
My dust cap end up the same, didn't close fully with the led butt section open. Just little worried about it would get lost from time to time then drop somewhere. Did you end up duck tape it for extra security ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Why not just order a dust cover, that's sole purpose in life is to extend outward and allow fitment for larger bulbs ??????

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Strange. My dust caps fit perfectly. I started the part near 10 o’clock first (where the bottom of the bulb base sits) and then pressed in the remainder. Fully sealed and no issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also hang the Led driver and the canbus outside to avoid over Heating. So I have cables coming out from the dust cap either way that prevent it from full close. Guess I have to add some duck tape to get some extra support.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Strange. My dust caps fit perfectly. I started the part near 10 o’clock first (where the bottom of the bulb base sits) and then pressed in the remainder. Fully sealed and no issues.
You removed your bumper and did it the correct way.

This forum is becoming my go-to when I need a good laugh lol.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
187 Posts
Why not just order a dust cover, that's sole purpose in life is to extend outward and allow fitment for larger bulbs ??????

I thought about this when I was looking at other LED brands, as well as when I was considering HID (e.g. to drill the hole in the back). I couldn't find information on what size to buy and the way dust covers seal is different for different vehicles. If someone here has recommendations on longer aftermarket dust covers that fit nice and snug, I know there's a few people on here that would be grateful.

As for the previous question...I didn't put any tape or anything. It isn't "open" to the elements...just isn't completely sealed...and is only a very small segment. I don't think it will fall off or anything...I my check it periodically to see if it loosens at all.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I thought about this when I was looking at other LED brands, as well as when I was considering HID (e.g. to drill the hole in the back). I couldn't find information on what size to buy and the way dust covers seal is different for different vehicles. If someone here has recommendations on longer aftermarket dust covers that fit nice and snug, I know there's a few people on here that would be grateful.

As for the previous question...I didn't put any tape or anything. It isn't "open" to the elements...just isn't completely sealed...and is only a very small segment. I don't think it will fall off or anything...I my check it periodically to see if it loosens at all.
I mentioned "aftermarket" dust covers in the other thread you were commenting in. I believe, but dont quote me, you need 60mm covers.

Or you can do what I do for some of my offroad vehicles...big hp mud trucks...lol. Get a size or two bigger and place it over the opening. Then zip tie the cover on evenly. No bends or bulges or creases. I then run a bead of marine grade silicone around edge. I think its 3M from Home Depot. Once dry, remove zip and bam...all sealed. Holds extremely well. And can be easily removed if needed.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I’m not sure how it’s possible to have different results from the same vehicle using the same bulbs. In my 2018 and using the VLEDS Micro Evolution bulbs, the covers fit completely and without issue.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
187 Posts
I’m not sure how it’s possible to have different results from the same vehicle using the same bulbs. In my 2018 and using the VLEDS Micro Evolution bulbs, the covers fit completely and without issue.

I know...weird. I don't have issues with the back of the dust cap...length is fine. Likewise, and I know you went the software route to eliminate the CANBUS adapter need, I was able to cram (not easy but it fits) the CANBUS adapter and wiring in the space underneath. However, the top of the LED assembly ends up extremely close to the top. The outer edge of my dust cover is fine, but the inside lip, only at the very top , is what is impacted by the LED. I don't think it is a Jeep craftsmanship or quality thing because both my headlights have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I know...weird. I don't have issues with the back of the dust cap...length is fine. Likewise, and I know you went the software route to eliminate the CANBUS adapter need, I was able to cram (not easy but it fits) the CANBUS adapter and wiring in the space underneath. However, the top of the LED assembly ends up extremely close to the top. The outer edge of my dust cover is fine, but the inside lip, only at the very top , is what is impacted by the LED. I don't think it is a Jeep craftsmanship or quality thing because both my headlights have the same issue.

Did you remove the bumper and headlight when installing?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Just a courtesy note. I did the same thing trying to fit the canbus and Led driver inside the housing. But at last, I decided not not to. When you light up the Led for 2 mins, you can feel how hot the driver also could be, maybe like 130 degree or more. I think it will get hotter after 10 mins until the heat generation and loss get to an balance. This is not counting the heat blowing out from the fan of the bulb. I am just worrying about fitting everything in the housing will shorten the life of the set. I live in the south so 100 degree in the summer which make it worse. I ended up zip tie them outside the dust cap.

23 Posts
2018 trailhawk. Finish the project. OP provided very good information for turning the bulb base. Otherwise, take you forever to align the bulb. Taking off the side liner is the only way to access the fog and it should only take 10 mins for the God project . The liner off will give you good access to the low beam, especially the driver side. Taking off the intake vent will be good for driver side. My jeep comes the rubber dust cap. You could fit the the led driver and the canbus in the projecter hole. But I was worrying about over heating so zip tie then out side. The dust cap won't fully close any way because jeep design the projecter hole not concentric with the housing. See my picture. Not very impressed with vled. I order the express and the evolution. Can't tell the difference. Would choose diode dynamic if their lead time is shorter.
finally i could up load my picture, the fifth picture is what i mentioned the non-concentric issue between the projector and headlight housing hole, which at the end causing the dust cap not able to be fully closed.

20190323_180931.jpg

20190323_181107.jpg

20190323_181123.jpg

20190323_181135.jpg

20190323_183637.jpg

20190323_195720_LI.jpg

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
The dust cap won’t seal likely because of the two wires running outside the housing for the canbus adapter.

·
Registered
WK2
443 Posts
I opted for HIDs in my wife's '14. Drilled 1" hole for the grommet, no issues. Impressive light output and color, a little whiter than halogen. They're perfect.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
And the Led bulb butt not center as you can see from my pictures. It's offset in the housing hole.

As I said; taking off the bumper and removing the lights as I did, the rubber boots fit perfectly all around without issue. Deviations from that process will result in different experiences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can I ask a stupid question? The footwell light is not always on, Only when you open the door, right? I saw theres another small led next to the footwell is always on. Did you changed that? Whats the type of LED?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wanted to throw in my .02. I have a 2019 Trailhawk with front and rear LED lights, except for the stupid turn signals in the rear: they elected to use incandescent for whatever reason. Threw in two LEDS, and I've not had a single issue with hyperflash, didn't need resistors, either. Am wondering if maybe the Luxury Group II has a reprogramed BCM that monitors for a wider range of resistance, instead of needing the typical 6ohm resistors to simulate an incandescent. Just wanted to pass it along :)

81 - 100 of 112 Posts