Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to drive Mrs Ks new 3.2l petrol KL. In brief;

* Solid car with doors that close like a vault.
* Very quiet engine which is powerful and smooth.
* Transmission works a treat; no signs of shudder, clunking or rough shifting at all.
* No squeaks, rattles or peculiar noises.
* Interior fit & finish looks good.
* Sunroof is huge and has smooth operation.
* The Stop-Start well,....... I first drove the car to the Shops with this system off. I had the radio on but it wasn't loud. Then after returning from the Shops it wasn't until I got home that I realised that the Stop-Start system was on (after I had restarted the car at the Shops); or was it? I couldn't tell because I didn't notice anything different from driving to and driving from the Shops. I thought that this system was broken so I got back in the car, turned the radio off, and drove around with the Stop-Start system on. It was indeed working. Well how about that? I didn't even realise. I'm impressed.
* Still yet to really play around with the UConnect, but the radio sounds great through the Alpine sound system, and the (Garman) GPS works fine with fast initialisation and "recalculating" feature.
* Rear view camera is very sharp and the electronic Safety features work as expected.
* Automatic opening & closing rear Hatch is a nice feature.
* I haven't given the parallel or perpendicular self-parking a go yet.
* I love the wheels. To me they add a bit of Class.
* Over the past 2 days I've enjoyed Miles of Smiles when driving the KL Limited. Well done Jeep :thumbsup:
* No I don't work for Jeep, I just can't fault this thing yet. If I were to get real picky, I'd say that the gap between the rear Hatch and the rear guards are not consistent, but I suspect that they are within tolerances.

Very good vehicle. Now I want my Grand Cherokee :D

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over 500km now and still no issues observed. Went over it with a chamois this morning and could find no paint problems either.

The Cherokee feels very solid and you sit much higher compared to our (traded) BMW X1. The 3.2l V6 motor is excellent, although I've really only had gutless 4 cylinder cars over the past 5 years.

I really like the Blind Spot Monitoring device in the rear vision mirrors too. Simple yet very effective.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A few weeks old now and we're still enjoying this great car very much.

A couple more observations below.

1. SOLID RIDE: You ride much higher in the KL compared to a lot of the other medium SUVs and it feels much heavier too. But I don't mind the heavy feel at all; it rides very solidly, comfortably and still steers very easily.

2. FORWARD COLLISION WARNING (FCW): The other day whilst travelling at 60kmh I got too close to a car in front that had slowed to turn left into a side street. It was one of those situations where I anticipated that the car in front would be out of my way by the time I got to the point where he was turning. Well the electronic FCW feature thought otherwise and applied the brakes with a buzzers and lights on the dashboard flashing.

When I got home I checked the settings and changed the FCW setting from "far" to "near". You can also turn the FCW off with a simple push of a button if you want to.

A very good safety feature that also provided me with a timely reminded to keep my distance in future ;)

3. STILL CAN'T BELIEVE how powerful and quiet the V6 petrol is; very smooth too. This combined with a solid (heavy) feel, yet easy to drive, and high ride height with all the features that you'd want, makes for one very happy KL owner :D

Previously I've owned 2 x Honda (luxury) CR-Vs and a BMW X1 and while they all had their good and very good points, I reckon that the KL Limited beats them all hands down in almost every area.

Only time will tell if the KL can match the Honda's reliability though. So far so good; absolutely nil issues to report :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Good to hear Marty and I can echo your experience (although with a different engine).

How did your wife's road-trip go on Boxing Day?

Over 2000 km's now and she is perfect. It is such a nice ride. I have been over the last week testing the remote start (just for giggle sake) and it is pretty cool feature.

The husband bought for me some Cargo Management system accessories for Christmas and they arrived from the US on Tuesday. :thumbsup:

I noticed he also slipped in a roof rack for the Grand so that added to the cost, but all up saved $490 on everything (including postage) from the prices that we were quoted from dealerships in Aus. Shipping took 10 days. Very happy. :thumbsup:

So that was 5 items of the cargo management system + the racks = 6 items in total from Mopar America in NC.

Can't complain about that and the storage accessories are excellent. Unloaded the fortnightly grocery shop in 3 loads rather than the usual 6-7. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi SJ&L, looks like that you got some nice Christmas presents there; your Husband is a good man :)

The Road Trip didn't eventuate because of a number of reasons. Hopefully we'll get the KL out onto the Open Road soon.

Just experienced Cross Path Detection while backing out of a shopping centre car park yesterday. Yet another good safety feature of the Cherokee :thumbsup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
4 months down and nearly 5,000km done and we're loving our KL Cherokee. All we're getting is Miles of Smiles; no issues or concerns whatsoever :)

I don't mean to be a "Jeep Fan Boy", but I've bought a truckload of new cars (mostly Hondas) and the 2015 KL Cherokee is the best medium SUV that I've ever owned.

Don't get me wrong, I love Honda and there's no denying Honda's reliability (I'm buying a new VTi-L HRV for a family member soon), but this KL Jeep has been brilliant for us; pure and simple.

I can't wait to be in the situation where I can get the new version (model) of the Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2016-17.
[/URL][/IMG]
[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mwk5/media/FB%20March2_zpsmnxvlfnu.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d125/mwk5/FB%20March2_zpsmnxvlfnu.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
:thumbsup: Marty.

Same here with our KL. Zero issues to report - a great vehicle. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thumbsup: Marty.

Same here with our KL. Zero issues to report - a great vehicle. :)
My 2009 Honda Odyssey (Luxury) is a nice car to drive and very versatile. We're very happy with it. My 2015 Holden SV6 (work) Hire Car (for the next 3 weeks) is a nice car too, although the Commodore is a Hire Car, and a Taxi in most cases, so its a bit....whatever... :rolleyes: But we really enjoy driving the KL Cherokee :D

It's just something about the Cherokee that makes me want to drive the thing at every opportunity.

The KL Cherokee is not a popular car (yet), it has unique (polarizing) styling too (which I like, ...obviously), but it always gets looked at and uniformed people are very surprised by the KL Limited's features and appointments. It certainly stands out in the Medium SUV crowd.

PS: In my opinion the Cherokee's Pentastar 3.2 V6 feels more powerful than the Commodore's SIDI 3.6 V6, but the figures say that it isn't. Well the Pentastar V6 certainly is quieter.

·
Registered
Cherokee Limited
26 Posts
That looks almost exactly the same as my car! (Except the rego)

I've swapped out the bulbs for the interior for LEDs. Much prefer the cool white light rather than the warm light. (Did the same for the previous cars too)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've swapped out the bulbs for the interior for LEDs. Much prefer the cool white light rather than the warm light. (Did the same for the previous cars too)
Hi Roger, please tell me more about this. I'd like to see photos if you have them; if not no biggy.

What type of bulbs? and any other fitment advice, would be appreciated mate :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Marty

·
Registered
Cherokee Limited
26 Posts
OK, I ended up with these bulbs for the interior. They are short enough to fit. I tried a few but these fit well and were the whitest (Rather than blue) Some didn't fit a tall (Too long, too wide, etc)

Requires a bit of brute force to remove the domes. I used plastic leverage tool (Looks like a spatula) Start from the front, near the windscreen, pull down toward the back. There should be 2 clicks as each clip comes off (one on each side near the front. Once off, disconnecting the cable is easy, and then to pull the bulbs out, just lever it from side to side.

Before fitting everything back, plug the cable in and make sure the bulbs light. If not, you need to reverse the polarity. (And be careful as the bulbs will be hot!) Fitting it back, just reverse the procedure.

ebay T10

For the rear dome, it's even easier. Again from the front, lever and pull towards the back. Again 2 clips, but these tend to fly off once it's pulled out. Remove the cable, and this one is a twist lock.

The vanity bulbs were a pain to replace. You need a very thing screwdriver, preferably plastic, and level the covers from the plastic side (rather than from the mirror) If it doesn't work, then very, very carefully lever from the mirror side. I had to do this for 1 of them, but I wouldn't recommend this method as it sound awful and the possibility of cracking the glass is high

There's 4 clips on the cover, 2 on each longer sides. Once this is out, I used a rubber coated narrow screwdriver to lever the bulb out from the connection side, and then my fingers (but a pair of needle nosed rubber tipped pliers would work better) wiggle it up and down until I could pull the bulb out. Putting the led in you just need to be very careful. As you put it in, it will light up. Don't stare into it. And if it doesn't light, pull it out and reverse it. Plugging the cover back is the easy part.

ebay T5

I used these for the boot and glove box. They are more exxy but provide a touch more light. If I hadn't bought it first up, I probably would have just used the other set. They are long, and can barely fit in the space for the boot and glovebox.

From the side nearer the rear seats, you can slide a thin flat tool or screwdriver and start levering from the top and bottom. If you can get a finger hold, you can try pulling it towards you (back to boot opening) The cable isn't long so don't pull too far. Again, hot bulbs!! Flick the cover off to the back (There's 2 detents on each side holding the plastic on.)

Quality control isn't great with these bulbs. Some fit with half an mm to spare, and others are half an mm too long. (Out came the know to shave a bit of the plastic off to push the bulb more into the T10 socket)

T10 more SMDs

There's a guy on ebay that sells all the required bulbs as a kit. (Even for the Grand Cherokee) Will see if I can find the link.

Wouldn't recommend putting the T10 LEDs on the rego plate rear. It will through an error, even those that state that it is CANBUS version. (Will still work though)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great stuff Roger.

Thank you for going through the trouble of responding with a very comprehensive explanation. Very, very much appreciated. Cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Cherokee Limited
26 Posts
No worries, if you wanted comprehensive, I would have shot a video! (No, I'm not doing that)

·
Registered
7 Posts
What I did to my current Santa Fe and will do to my new trail hawk was I had my local auto elec wire a set of blue under dash leds to the door opener circuit . This gives great ambient look and the fade when the interior lights go out. I also had the sparkie wire my garage opener into the dash to emulate function in the us model.

Àlso a question: Can anyoneconfirm that the toll tags will function from within the dash compartment.

Thanks,
Bazza

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Àlso a question: Can anyoneconfirm that the toll tags will function from within the dash compartment.
The little flip-up storage compartment on top? Yes, I can confirm that the e-tag works when stashed in that. No need to remove it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Our 2015 KL Limited turned 12 months old on 12 December 15.

10,500 km (as of Dec 15) and no complaints; not even a squeak or a rattle. The Jeep continues to impress :thumbsup:

But after 12 months I still haven't tried the Auto Park feature yet :eek:

All the best for the New Year everyone :D

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Marty, good to hear from you. Just like you, my KL is fantastic. No issues to report at all after 14 months of ownership and more than 15,000 on the clock. I just love this vehicle to pieces.

Re: the auto park. You have to try it. It really works well. I first tested it in the school car park - a bit more of a leisurely atmosphere compared to the shopping mall. Even when you think it is guiding you into one of the vehicles parked next to it (ie: what you see on the reversing camera and concern mounts), it doesn't. You just stay with it (and its instructions on the EVIC) and it parks perfectly, every time.

If I had one tip, it would be to keep your hands well clear of the steering wheel. It spins at quite a rate of knots (which is a bit surreal when you see it first time) but you would cop a bruising if a finger got in the way.

Give it a whirl - just for laughs. It's great.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts