Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Marty

I wasn't sure about the battery change, but on a different matter my recently installed add-on Apple Car-Play interface for the Jeep failed to work with iPhone 6s, so I contacted Apple support who ran a remote diagnostic on the phone and advised that the issue was probably battery, $38.00 later, new battery (current Apple promo) the Car-Play interface worked like a charm. It seems modern electronics are very sensitive to battery health??

You can bet your bottom dollar that your battery will go soon, so a preemptive strike may pay off.

Regards

Grahame

P.S. My Stop-Start still doesn't work after the battery change, but maybe it requires a reset

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Our 2015 KL is approaching 4 years old, and 44,000km.

We've never had any issues with our KL,.....until this month :(

The Stop/Start System has disabled, and the Air-Conditioner remains ON all the time. We can't activate the Stop/Start System, and we can't turn OFF the Air-Con.

Parts & Labour to fix both (Down Under) is approximately A$1,800. The replacement Electronic Parts have to be ordered in from the USA.

Both issues are not critical, and the car continues to drive very well; ...and still no squeaks or rattles :)
Good to hear from you Marty. Like yours, mine continues to drive very well. My Stop/Start also has stopped working recently but I don't care. I'm keeping a close eye on the battery voltage. It dips to 13.7 some days, comes up to 14 after a run but I suspect it will need replacing soon.

Like yours also, absolutely zero squeaks or rattles which surprises me after 4 plus years. It's still my favorite vehicle of the 3 in our driveway (WK2 and the 360 Spider). The WK2 boys would be appalled. :lol:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
The battery has an Intelligent Battery Sensor. The IBS is mounted directly on the 12 VDC battery's negative post.

So if it senses that the battery is not healthy the IBS stops the start stop and tells you that the battery is still charging or it needs a service.
Thank you for the info / comments Grahame, joezep and SJandL :thumbsup:

The Jeep Service Guy wants to change that IBS on the battery for $450+, but he never mentioned (or considered, I suspect) changing the Battery first.

I can just see it now:

Jeep Guy: Well Mr Marty, we've replaced the IBS on the Battery, and the entire Fuse Box for the Air-Con (... apparently they can't just change a fuse; the entire Box has to be replaced to fix the Air-Con for $1,000+), .... but your issues are still there. ...Looks like we'll have to get it back to replace the battery as well :D

Soooo, I'm going to get the battery changed first (by RACV, who have quoted $421 fully installed, 800+CCA for Stop/Start, etc..) next week. Then I'll see what happens with the Stop/Start & the Air-Con after that.

I'll report back later. Thanks for all the terrific input :thumbsup:

Marty

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I'm still yet to replace the battery; will do it next week.

But in the meantime I was surfing through some threads over at jeepcherokeeclub (USA / Canada) and there is quite a lot of info about the KL's battery there.

One interesting piece of info was that an owner got the Dealer to replace their battery and the Dealer provided the owner with a printout that stated:

"When the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) is disconnected from the battery the device loses its stored memory. When power is restored, the IBS starts a relearn process.
Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state information is unavailable to other vehicle systems.
The IBS relearn process requires five normal, operator initiated starts with at least eight hours off time between each start. Usually, the process takes a few days of vehicle operation to complete.
Remember, the relearn process is restarted every time power is reconnected to the IBS. This has a major effect on the stop/start feature".

Others have commented that a loose IBS lead (where it is attached to the battery) has disabled their stop/start system too. A simple "jiggle" of the lead and a re-tighten fixed the issue for them.

Here's hoping that the IBS relearns itself, and restores the stop/start system after fitting a new battery to our KL. I don't really want to pay the Stealership $450+ to fit a new IBS.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts