Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my left rear tire has a nail in it. I went to two different tire places and both told me the tire needs to be replaced. The nail is in the outside most tread and for this reason it can't be repaired (All season tire). I have just over 20k on the tires and I figured they should be good for another 10k-15k miles. I hate to just replace one tire at this point. Anyone know of any warranty or deals that are out there. These tires are not cheap. Do you think the Jeep dealer is a good option?

· Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
47,451 Posts
You may be able to advertise here on the forums and find a tire. Other than that you best bet is to buy a new one or four new tires in another brand or something. The oem tires are outrageous. You could also try ebay for one single oem tire. Ive seen them on there periodically.

· Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,661 Posts
According to Tech, one of the big tire repair supply manufactures, these repairs are just fine, if done properly. I just checked to see if they changed their position, and they haven't.

Years back I was at a meeting in Ohio where a Tech rep talked about proper repair. He brought a Uniroyal radial with him that they had put 19 holes in the sidewalls. After the repairs were made they ran this tire for something like 30,000 miles on a GM test track. Not one repair failed.

He pointed out that this was only safe on radial tires, although many myths abounded at the time about radial tires.

=- Welcome to Tech International :: Leader in Tire Repair Products -=

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it can be repaired as well. These tires are so trong that without the sensor indicating there was a problem I may not have noticed it. I just need the hole patched or something so it holds air. I don't think the integrity of the tire will be affected at all. I'll see what I can do to get it fixed.

· Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,661 Posts
For the best results, have them insert a plug from the inside. Then, cut it flush and put a patch over the plug.

Check online for tire repair shops in your area.

---

· Registered
SRT 03 Chevy SSS
66 Posts
First thing...when I picked up my '14 SRT on Jun 4th ..I spent an extra 22 secs and got the Wheel and Tire protection package for a whopping 485 dollars............can't beat it 5 yrs of worry free driving ( nail in tire or F Up rim get a NEW ONE):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to the dealer told them the problem and tomorrow I will have a new tire free of charge thanks to the warranty I bought. Maybe the other three tires could pick up some road debris and I will have a complete set of new tires. Thanks for the heads up.

· Registered
563 Posts
Went to the dealer told them the problem and tomorrow I will have a new tire free of charge thanks to the warranty I bought. Maybe the other three tires could pick up some road debris and I will have a complete set of new tires. Thanks for the heads up.
It used to be important to keep tread depth similar in AWD vehicles. Not sure if modern traction control can compensate for this these days, but if I had to replace a tire on any of my Jeeps, I'd definitely look into getting the tire shaved to match the others.

TireRack will "shave" a new tire for you. Perhaps a shop near you can do the same to the tire you're getting replaced? Cool that they're giving you a new one (well, not giving, I guess you paid for it up front)!

· Registered
2012 WK2 SRT8
125 Posts
So my left rear tire has a nail in it. I went to two different tire places and both told me the tire needs to be replaced. The nail is in the outside most tread and for this reason it can't be repaired (All season tire). I have just over 20k on the tires and I figured they should be good for another 10k-15k miles. I hate to just replace one tire at this point. Anyone know of any warranty or deals that are out there. These tires are not cheap. Do you think the Jeep dealer is a good option?
Optimistic expectations on tire life... Just replaced mine; worn out at 21k... I'm glad you had the warranty!

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm glad I have the warranty too. Went into the dealer today for an oil change and tire rotation. They told me that the other three tires were shot and shouldn't waste the time balancing them. He also said I shouldn't be running the new tire with the old ones due to the wear and potential differential damage. I wish I would have known that two weeks ago. I would have left the damn nail in the tire. Anyone know where to get the best price on three tires?

· Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
1,009 Posts
I was going to get the rim and tire package but chose not too. The package doesn't covers "oooops" with the rims. Only if you hit a pothole and it cracks or gets bent. Doesn't cover curb rash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.