Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Hi everyone,
It sounds like your Uconnect system needs to be updated. You can find your current software level in your "Settings" and "System Information" tab on your Uconnect system. Please check this first. If you system is not up to date with the 18.45.01 software level the files are currently available on driveUconnect.com. If you're able to update, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home. Please PM me with more information if this does not solve your navigation concerns.
Alison
JeepCares
Hi Alison,

The 18.45 OTA Software Update has failed numerous times (2017 JGC Summit, V-8). I am a Mac user and I have downloaded the update to my computer and directly to a USB Flash Drive, also without success. I have tried exFat and Fat32 formatting of the USB Flash Drive...neither worked. Additionally, I have done a soft reboot of the UConnect System, and a factory reset...no help. I suppose I should hoist the white flag and go to my dealership, but prior to do so, any help you provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,082 Posts
Hi Alison,

The 18.45 OTA Software Update has failed numerous times (2017 JGC Summit, V-8). I am a Mac user and I have downloaded the update to my computer and directly to a USB Flash Drive, also without success. I have tried exFat and Fat32 formatting of the USB Flash Drive...neither worked. Additionally, I have done a soft reboot of the UConnect System, and a factory reset...no help. I suppose I should hoist the white flag and go to my dealership, but prior to do so, any help you provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
You can't download the update directly to the USB. You'll need to find someone with a PC to download it and unzip the files to a FAT32 USB that is 32 gig or less in size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, the navigation on my 2016 GC Summit seems all confused and is showing me off road and on wrong roads. It has worked OK after my recent Uconnect software update which was done several weeks ago so I don't think that is connected to this. Is there a way to reboot the Nav? the manual is lacking any real information on this, any other ideas?thanks...Mike.
My 2015 Cherokee Latitude all of a sudden showed my location about 25 miles from where I was at home. After reading all of the suggestions here and nothing working....and the dealership playing dumb I decided to treat UConnect like a Windows computer and re-boot. I learned in the past that for the gas cap and check engine light you should disconnect the battery for a period and then connect it again. So I did it for this. I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes. Reconnected it...drove it WITHOUT the navigation on for about 15 minutes then used NAvigation and it worked. PS I also did the software update a few months back.

·
Registered
Summit
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
My 2015 Cherokee Latitude all of a sudden showed my location about 25 miles from where I was at home. After reading all of the suggestions here and nothing working....and the dealership playing dumb I decided to treat UConnect like a Windows computer and re-boot. I learned in the past that for the gas cap and check engine light you should disconnect the battery for a period and then connect it again. So I did it for this. I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes. Reconnected it...drove it WITHOUT the navigation on for about 15 minutes then used NAvigation and it worked. PS I also did the software update a few months back.
Funny thing is that mine started working normally again even though it is still with the original software (wouldn't recognize the update) so this discussion is showing a lot of variables in our Nav systems. You would think that FCA could send out a reliable OTA update to aid it's troubled owners. I least expected of all things to have software problems on a $60K vehicle....yet here I am.

·
Registered
1999 XJ Limited + 2004 WJ Limited, 4.7L + 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 5.7L
6 Posts
I have the 18.45.01 update and now the navigation is off 180 degrees.

However the "off road pages" has started working again for awhile at least.

I may be paranoid but I deeply resent them having access to my vehicle without my permission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny thing is that mine started working normally again even though it is still with the original software (wouldn't recognize the update) so this discussion is showing a lot of variables in our Nav systems. You would think that FCA could send out a reliable OTA update to aid it's troubled owners. I least expected of all things to have software problems on a $60K vehicle....yet here I am.
I hear ya! Technology is good, but I am beginning to think I could have saved a whole lot of money by just having a radio/CD player and using my old Garmin Nuvi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 18.45.01 update and now the navigation is off 180 degrees.

However the "off road pages" has started working again for awhile at least.

I may be paranoid but I deeply resent them having access to my vehicle without my permission.
Anytime you use any GPS or your phone you are disclosing your location. We no longer have the freedom of movement anymore. Maybe we need to go back to dumb vehicles...and dumb phones?

·
Registered
Summit
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Anytime you use any GPS or your phone you are disclosing your location. We no longer have the freedom of movement anymore. Maybe we need to go back to dumb vehicles...and dumb phones?
Yeah, I would only be worried about that if I were a Terrorist, If anyone needs to know that I'm at the Tim Hortons drive thru they are welcomed to that info....:D

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
You can't download the update directly to the USB. You'll need to find someone with a PC to download it and unzip the files to a FAT32 USB that is 32 gig or less in size.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,082 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
That's fine unless you can't unzip the .zip file to load the compressed files onto the USB drive. If your Mac won't let you do that, you need to find someone with a PC to handle it for you.
Thanks for weighing-in, Schmieg. Regardless, if I get access to a PC, I’ll try that route. Which format do you suggest using; exFAT, or FAT32? As stated earlier, I’ve unsuccessfully tried both.

·
Registered
Jeep GC SRT
18 Posts
Hi everyone,
It sounds like your Uconnect system needs to be updated. You can find your current software level in your "Settings" and "System Information" tab on your Uconnect system. Please check this first. If you system is not up to date with the 18.45.01 software level the files are currently available on driveUconnect.com. If you're able to update, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home. Please PM me with more information if this does not solve your navigation concerns.
Alison
JeepCares

·
Registered
Jeep GC SRT
18 Posts
Well my 2017 SRT nav system started Sunday 11/3/19 not showing me on the correct road. As a matter of fact it did not even show me in the correct city or county. Worked off & on for several days. Uconnect worked fine though. Then I noticed the clock was very wrong on the time. Went to the dealer and they got NO code to show up on their plug in thingy. Fortunately I have an extended warranty and they have ordered a complete new radio/nav thing for my SRT.
My service tech indicated that it would have cost me nearly $2,500. Thanks for the extended warranty...not a dime.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,082 Posts
Thanks for weighing-in, Schmieg. Regardless, if I get access to a PC, I’ll try that route. Which format do you suggest using; exFAT, or FAT32? As stated earlier, I’ve unsuccessfully tried both.
I use FAT32 for all these things and I've never had a USB fail. I have had update installations appear to fail in the past, but they always started over one or two times and finally completed. I have used the Sandisks that some say won't work, but I always reformatted them using a partition manager and formatting the entire stick after removing the proprietary partition that Sandisk put on those. I have had my best luck with Lexar sticks. Nothing should be on the drive except the files contained in the compressed zip file; the zip file itself should not be on the stick. I would say smaller sticks, such as 8 or 16 gig would probably work best, though I have used up to 32 without problems. Those who have tried sticks larger than 32 gig have reported problems.

When the updates first started, they were all distributed as downloads. I can't remember if those first ones were zipped or not, but there was only one file we had to put on the USB drive. The OTA's started a couple of years ago, I believe with the 16.xx.xx series, but I have never received one and I bought this vehicle new in 2013. I think this is the first update that had more than one file included in the zip. I retract that statement. I just checked the 17.43.01 update and there were were two files in that zip. This is the first time that I have seen a batch file included.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I use FAT32 for all these things and I've never had a USB fail. I have had update installations appear to fail in the past, but they always started over one or two times and finally completed. I have used the Sandisks that some say won't work, but I always reformatted them using a partition manager and formatting the entire stick after removing the proprietary partition that Sandisk put on those. I have had my best luck with Lexar sticks. Nothing should be on the drive except the files contained in the compressed zip file; the zip file itself should not be on the stick. I would say smaller sticks, such as 8 or 16 gig would probably work best, though I have used up to 32 without problems. Those who have tried sticks larger than 32 gig have reported problems.

When the updates first started, they were all distributed as downloads. I can't remember if those first ones were zipped or not, but there was only one file we had to put on the USB drive. The OTA's started a couple of years ago, I believe with the 16.xx.xx series, but I have never received one and I bought this vehicle new in 2013. I think this is the first update that had more than one file included in the zip. I retract that statement. I just checked the 17.43.01 update and there were were two files in that zip. This is the first time that I have seen a batch file included.
Thanks, Mike...good scoop.

I have a couple of 16 GB Kingston Thumb Drives on order (recommended by the UConnect Customer Support guy I talked with last night). If those don’t work, and/or, I can’t get access to a PC, I’ll be heading to the dealership.

Bill

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,082 Posts
Thanks, Mike...good scoop.

I have a couple of 16 GB Kingston Thumb Drives on order (recommended by the UConnect Customer Support guy I talked with last night). If those don’t work, and/or, I can’t get access to a PC, I’ll be heading to the dealership.

Bill
Are you having trouble opening the zip file? I know in the past some with Macs couldn't do that, but I thought there had been a couple of free or low cost utilities released for the Mac that will since then. If you can unzip the files to the USB, they should work since the vehicle is PC/Mac ignorant. Such a utility, if you need it, would be worthwhile as I suspect FCA will continue the same process as they have used in the past.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Are you having trouble opening the zip file? I know in the past some with Macs couldn't do that, but I thought there had been a couple of free or low cost utilities released for the Mac that will since then. If you can unzip the files to the USB, they should work since the vehicle is PC/Mac ignorant. Such a utility, if you need it, would be worthwhile as I suspect FCA will continue the same process as they have used in the past.
I’ve not been able to “open“ any of the zipped, or unzipped files. There is no application on my Mac capable of doing so. I resist putting third party apps on my machine, but I’m willing to do so, if necessary.

My thinking has been it’s not necessary for me to open those files. All I need to do is get them onto a properly formatted USB thumb drive and transfer them to my rig’s UConnect System. Agree, or am I out in left field?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,082 Posts
I’ve not been able to “open“ any of the zipped, or unzipped files. There is no application on my Mac capable of doing so. I resist putting third party apps on my machine, but I’m willing to do so, if necessary.

My thinking has been it’s not necessary for me to open those files. All I need to do is get them onto a properly formatted USB thumb drive and transfer them to my rig’s UConnect System. Agree, or am I out in left field?
The zip file won't be recognized by the vehicle. You have to unzip it to transfer the compressed files inside to the USB stick. Only the files inside the zip should be on the stick.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
The zip file won't be recognized by the vehicle. You have to unzip it to transfer the compressed files inside to the USB stick. Only the files inside the zip should be on the stick.
I understand what you’re saying, Mike. Evidently, the files on the various sticks were zipped. They didn’t appear to be, but maybe my computer skills are insufficient for the task. Additionally, when I downloaded the update directly to the stick, there was a fairly lengthy “decompression” step, following the download. This made me think those files were unzipped. I think this is why UConnect instructs the download be directly to the stick, becaise the decompression is automatically included.

I’ve located a 3rd party app (Archive Utility) which should do the trick. I’ll purchase it this weekend and when the Kingston sticks arrive, reattempt the project. Thank you again for all of your help. I appreciate it.

i noted on the UConnect FAQs that the number of downloads per user is restricted. I expect I’m at, or close, to that restriction, so I may have to request a “reset” from UConnect Customer Service. Not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
...just found this info, which further makes me think the files I put the various sticks were "unzipped."

41 - 60 of 96 Posts