Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7l Hemi
56 Posts
Took my GC to the dealer this week and asked them for a software upgrade since I was at Rel 17. They decided to NOT do the upgrade since a new release would be coming soon. They recommended that the upgrade be done on my next maintenance visit. They also told me that I needed to use an Apple branded lightning cable with Apple CarPlay. IOW, if you don't use an Apple cable, it'll be touch and go as to how it will work. They told me all of this after 4 hours!. So they did NOTHING to the car yet it was there for 4 hours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2014 Cherokee. They installed 19-090 2013-2018 Harman RA3 & RA4 GPS Radio Update (RRT1) and had me back on the road in 45 minutes. No questions asked and no money. AND, the GPS works 100% since.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Attached is a screen shot of the software update files. To my eye, these files are NOT zipped, or compressed. Agree?

View attachment 220486

If these 5 files are copied to a properly formatted FAT32 thumb drive, they SHOULD be readable by my Jeep's UConnect System. To date, they are NOT. Will reattempt once the 16 GB Kingston sticks arrive.
I've tried downloading the update to my PC computer numerous times. When I open the zip I have the 5 files but the 1st 3 files don't show the .bat or .log or .exe at the end of each file. The 1st parts are there. The last 2 files are OK.

Any idea why? Copied them to a couple USB's but the screen didn't change when the USB's were plugged in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've tried downloading the update to my PC computer numerous times. When I open the zip I have the 5 files but the 1st 3 files don't show the .bat or .log or .exe at the end of each file. The 1st parts are there. The last 2 files are OK.

Any idea why? Copied them to a couple USB's but the screen didn't change when the USB's were plugged in.
I did not check the extensions on my five files, but got the same: no change in the screen. Finally gave up and took to Jeep dealer in Bluffton, SC and they installed/uploaded update 19-090 2013-1018 Harman RA3 and RA4 GPS Radio Update (RRT-1) and had me back on the road in 45 minutes. GPS has worked correctly 100% since then.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,065 Posts

Do you have Windows set to show the suffixes on files? If not, those suffixes won't appear on your screen. Also, when you plug the stick into the vehicle, it sometimes takes a couple of minutes for the unit to react (not to mention the boot time for the radio). I expedited this. After the system was fully up, I plugged the stick in, switched to media, then hit the USB button.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I did not check the extensions on my five files, but got the same: no change in the screen. Finally gave up and took to Jeep dealer in Bluffton, SC and they installed/uploaded update 19-090 2013-1018 Harman RA3 and RA4 GPS Radio Update (RRT-1) and had me back on the road in 45 minutes. GPS has worked correctly 100% since then.
Uconnect support told me to go to the dealer. Looks like that's the only way to get this installed. I prefer to do it myself if possible. I believe I did a update download a couple years back and installed it ok. The same with the OTA update.

I'm not the most computer savvy guy, but I don't understand why it's not downloading properly to my PC.

I hope any computer whizzes out there will respond with some explanation.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Do you have Windows set to show the suffixes on files? If not, those suffixes won't appear on your screen. Also, when you plug the stick into the vehicle, it sometimes takes a couple of minutes for the unit to react (not to mention the boot time for the radio). I expedited this. After the system was fully up, I plugged the stick in, switched to media, then hit the USB button.
I wish I could tell you that. I'm not sure. Where and how would I verify it's on?

I did leave it plugged in for awhile but never saw any indication the update was going to proceed.

Uconnect support said I had to have the suffixes in the download to have it work properly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I googled file suffixes and was able to figure out how to see if the box was checked.

It wasn't. I checked it then downloaded the update again and all the suffixes were shown.

I'm going to try and install it again this morning. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
564 Posts
By the way does anyone know what improvements there are to the update VP4, 18.45.01 -MY13-17 shown on the website?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,065 Posts
By the way does anyone know what improvements there are to the update VP4, 18.45.01 -MY13-17 shown on the website?
The two key things that I have been able to determine are fixing the GPS for the GPS Week Numbering rollover so that the GPS is accurate and allowing the installation of the latest update to the maps which is currently available.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit WK2 5.7 Hemi
4 Posts
So I have a computer that is essentially what they call a "dual boot Hackintosh." As i have several drives in it it allows me to use multiple versions of OSes, or Operating Systems. I have been messing with Mojave, and from experience, Out of the box, MACOS will uncompress a zip file if it is indeed a zip file and not a .rar file. If you download the file, it will be in the bottom right next to trash can labeled downloads if you hover your mouse over it. If you click it it will kind of bend kinda wonky showing the last files that were downloaded. If you then click on the more in finder... it should show the file you just downloaded from uconnect. if you double click it, it will automatically attempt to uncompress it and then pop up a folder showing that contents, if it doesn't open the window it WILL create a folder with the contents of the archive inside it, this you can double click on to open. Now if this has all happened correctly you can then insert your thumb drive(flash drive, etc.) it will typically show an icon on desktop related to that drive. If it is formatted or partitioned in a way other than FAT32 then you will have to use disk utility to repartition/reformat it. This is actually pretty easy but can be intimidating. Using finder type in disk utility. Make sure your thumb drive is identified in disk utility, otherwise there may be something either wrong with the drive or your usb port. if this is the case try another usb port or another drive. after the drive is identified, click on it on the left inside disk utility. then on upper portion of the utility, there will be an erase button, go ahead and click this, make sure to choose ms-dos fat in the option window that pops up next. go ahead and name it something you will surely identify for it's use, ie:"UCONNECT". Also make sure to select master boot record or "MBR" for short. afterwards go ahead and click erase. When it is done. you can go ahead and close disk utility. Go back to the icon on your desktop that is relative to the flash drive, which if you named it uconnect it will show an icon on the desktop usually an icon that looks like a flash drive and it will be named UCONNECT. if you do not see this but you know for sure it's connected, you might need to select in preferences for finder the option to view external disks and hard disks. if you open finder and select preferences in the top left, it will have a window like this...

make sure that external disks is selected and then close it. afterwards it should show up on desktop. double click the icon to open it. if you still have the folder for the archive you downloaded open, then you should be able to select all of them in the right window, and drag them to the uconnect drive window that you just opened and let it finish. One thing of note: if you have any other files in that drive, ie, you just plugged it in and it was brand new, it may have a bunch of files and maybe a folder or two that WILL interfere with the identification upon plugging it in to the data port in your Grand Cherokee. Easiest and foolproof way is to just erase it using disk utility and then drag and drop the files from archive into the freshly erased drive and then plug it into the GC once it has finished. ALSO, before you go ahead and remove the drive from the mac after you think it's finished copying files, make sure to eject it. This is done either through finder by clicking the little up arrow icon next to the drive:
or desktop and right clicking on it and choosing eject device or click once on the drive and hitting Command+E and it will eject it. If it is still in the process of copying and you maybe hid it in the background it will let you know. If all goes well you should, as I have found best, to turn on the vehicle and let all the warnings go away, THEN plug the drive in. If you have a model of flash drive that has a led on it, you will see it blink for quite I while as I have experienced each time. If you have a particularly slow drive, it may take 5 minutes. The one I had, a sumsung, was a USB 3.0 with a quick transfer rate. It detected in about 1 minute and after you choose to update it will copy the files to the memory to start updating and this will take a while, the last update we received too roughly 25 minutes for the first 12-13 parts of the update, while the last i think 4-6 took only about 5 minutes. So all in all not bad, since the previous took well over an hour and I literally fell asleep while it was updating...LOL

I hope this helps. Nighty!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well this is a new one to me. I did the over the air update it only took about 10 minutes. Wat her the status bar go all the way to 100% radio shut down and restarted and it’s said that the software update was successful. Everything is working fine but when I check to see what version of software it is it still says 17.4 3.01. Been several days now and it’s still the same but I’m not having any problems so I guess I’m not that worried about it. Anyone else had this happen?

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7l Hemi
56 Posts
Well this week Apple CarPlay stopped working completely, won't even connect to the phone. It's been 6 weeks since the Nav stopped working right, I don't seem to be able to upgrade it with a USB drive no matter what I do, and the dealer wants me to wait until my next oil change, thousands of miles away. It isn't doing OTA upgrades at all. Have had this JGC since May 2018 and it hasn't done an OTA upgrade even once. The upgraded U Connect was one of the reasons I replaced my 2011 WK2 with the 2018.

I'm now looking at other vehicles. Love my JGC otherwise but the U Connect has worn my patience thin.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts