Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep GC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals. New member here. This sems like a great place you got here.

My last 2 vehicles were JKU Wranglers. But I've always liked the GC's, and decided I'd give them a try.

I bought an '18 Altitude Edition.

Now, I would like to add a little bigger tire if possible. Maybe BFG KO2's in 275/55/20.

Is this possible without adding any lift/level to it? Would these rub?

Also, I want to add a hitch to it so I can pull a boat. Likely a 16' aluminum fishing boat. I don't know much about installing trailer hitches or anything to be honest.

If those tires listed above would fit, would it rub when towing with the added weight? Also, what tow hitch would you recommend?

Lastly, is there a way to make it so the heated seats/steering wheel doesn't automatically come on in cold weather? Right now I'm forced to turn them off via the touch screen every time I start it up.

Thanks a ton for any help. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
welcome to the forum and good luck with your new beast - i can take a crack at the last item - in the settings app on the uconnect console you can alter hvac settings - on mine i can set wheel/seats to come on with every start, remote starts or manual only

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
There are a great many discussions on tires in the dedicated Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum forum area up above. That's the best place for tire questions and there's already a wealth of knowledge there for you to read. (This thread would normally be moved there, but you also are asking about towing)

You can add the OEM hitch and wiring pigtail yourself (or pay someone to do it) and then just have the wiring enabled on the vehicle by the dealer. Most folks find the OEM hitch to be aesthetically pleasing because it doesn't hang below the bumper. Of course, there are third party options, too.

Jim
Forum Moderator

·
Registered
Jeep GC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess now I just need to find out if I can add those larger tires and still tow a boat without any rubbing.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
~32" is the limit for tires on JGC without body modification, but the edge profile will also come into play when you get close to the limits. Do also note that you will need to swap out your spare for a tire of the same diameter if you up-size if you have 4x4. It can be narrower (like the factory full time spare) but has to be the same diameter and should be the same duty cycle if you are towing.

·
Registered
Jeep GC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
~32" is the limit for tires on JGC without body modification, but the edge profile will also come into play when you get close to the limits. Do also note that you will need to swap out your spare for a tire of the same diameter if you up-size if you have 4x4. It can be narrower (like the factory full time spare) but has to be the same diameter and should be the same duty cycle if you are towing.
Thanks for the reply.

You mention "edge profile will come into play". What do you mean by that?

If the info I found online is correct, a BFG KO2's in 275/55/20 measures at 31.9". So I'd be good there? What about when towing a 16' aluminum boat with 40 HP outboard. Would that cause the tires to rub?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

If the info I found online is correct, a BFG KO2's in 275/55/20 measures at 31.9". So I'd be good there? What about when towing a 16' aluminum boat with 40 HP outboard. Would that cause the tires to rub?
I tow a 16' aluminum boat with a 40HP outboard with my '16 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 with absolutely no problem. My boat set up weighs around 1600 lbs and the tongue weight is probably around 70-90 lbs. I even live in the mountains and there is not an issue. The Grand Cherokee should handle it even better.

If you install an aftermarket trailer hitch, remember that the amount you can tow is significantly reduced although your 16' boat won't be a problem. When the trailer package is installed during the build of the vehicle, there are other things added, like cooling capacities, that you will be missing. When I owned a RAV 4, the Toyota folks told me I could only tow half as much with an aftermarket setup.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

What I mean about the edge profile of the tire is the way the tread is designed near the edges...a "more square" corner will make things "wider" and could in turn cause rubbing whereas a tire tread profile that is a little more radiused at the edge might not at the same diameter. I'm not in any way familiar with the KO2's tread design, but I know folks run them.

Towing shouldn't be material to rubbing.

Reactions: Mixed Nuts

·
Registered
Jeep GC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I mean about the edge profile of the tire is the way the tread is designed near the edges...a "more square" corner will make things "wider" and could in turn cause rubbing whereas a tire tread profile that is a little more radiused at the edge might not at the same diameter. I'm not in any way familiar with the KO2's tread design, but I know folks run them.

Towing shouldn't be material to rubbing.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
Jeep GC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tow a 16' aluminum boat with a 40HP outboard with my '16 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 with absolutely no problem. My boat set up weighs around 1600 lbs and the tongue weight is probably around 70-90 lbs. I even live in the mountains and there is not an issue. The Grand Cherokee should handle it even better.

If you install an aftermarket trailer hitch, remember that the amount you can tow is significantly reduced although your 16' boat won't be a problem. When the trailer package is installed during the build of the vehicle, there are other things added, like cooling capacities, that you will be missing. When I owned a RAV 4, the Toyota folks told me I could only tow half as much with an aftermarket setup.
Thanks. Yeah, I don't think I'll have any issue pulling the boat. Now I'm just wondering if I put on those larger tires if they'll rub, especially while pulling the boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts