Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would start a new thread outside of the “GDE Closed” thread. I received the tuner hardware on Saturday and sent my files off to GDE. I also disabled my Pedal Commander to get a few days of driving stock before it gets installed. Looking very forward to uploading the tunes and hoping to reach my goal of 25MPG average for my driving (currently anywhere between 21 and mid-22’s for mostly city) - along with all the other positives. I did add the regen message and engine brake options, although I will likely never organically use the braking feature - only if I manually downshift to force it (Louisiana is pretty flat).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hope your mileage goes up. I have the old tune and average 30 mpg with mixed driving. I think the trans tune will help a lot. I noticed after the AEM my Jeep ran in 7th gear most of the time. I had to resort to sofakingtuned for the trans tune.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope your mileage goes up. I have the old tune and average 30 mpg with mixed driving. I think the trans tune will help a lot. I noticed after the AEM my Jeep ran in 7th gear most of the time. I had to resort to sofakingtuned for the trans tune.
Wow! Twenty five would be about double what I saw with my V8 WK2, but I’d love to get even more. I bought the Ecodiesel at a bad time when they started flooding the used market and before the pricing reflected the payouts - so I paid a premium for a then/now devalued configuration.
I have the latest AEM flash and at least for me, it’s worse than the first one. I can’t tell if it is the transmission or the engine, but I get a strange almost shutter/hesitation around 42MPH when accelerating. That wasn’t present before the latest flash.
I wasn’t sure how legit Sofa King was, but I did run across them online.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoping it isn’t too little, too late. Just under 78k miles on a 2015, which I’ve only added about 7-8k in the 12 months I’ve owned it. Not sure how it was taken care of prior to my ownership, but it doesn’t appear heavily overused in any way. I missed the last tune by about a week or two due to procrastinating, so REALLY looking forward to getting it installed - the originally GDE tune is what pushed me to get the Ecodiesel instead of another V8.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It would also be nice to hear from someone who had the old tune and had to get the new tune, to see if the new one is better or worse comparatively.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would also be nice to hear from someone who had the old tune and had to get the new tune, to see if the new one is better or worse comparatively.....
Concur.
Comparing the two, there appears to be a power increase (v1: 248hp/420tq, v2: 250hp/455tq) and the fuel economy improvement is marginally less (v1: +3-5mpg, v2: +2-4mpg). Interested to hear how they compare in the wild.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the original engine tune done after the recall was accomplished. I immediately went on a 300 mile roadtrip and averaged 35mpg on I-5 through WA, then 30 once I started going through the mountain passes. I don't remember noticing a huge difference in how it drove at the time. Just had the most recent recall done (which I didn't realize ahead of time wiped out the GDE tune) and it drives like complete :poop:! Hesitation, hunting for gears, and it feels like I have a drag chute behind me. Makes me appreciate the GDE tune more than ever. I bought the combo tune and am hoping it does get sent out this week as I'm heading out on a similar roadtrip this weekend!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the original engine tune done after the recall was accomplished. I immediately went on a 300 mile roadtrip and averaged 35mpg on I-5 through WA, then 30 once I started going through the mountain passes. I don't remember noticing a huge difference in how it drove at the time. Just had the most recent recall done (which I didn't realize ahead of time wiped out the GDE tune) and it drives like complete :poop:! Hesitation, hunting for gears, and it feels like I have a drag chute behind me. Makes me appreciate the GDE tune more than ever. I bought the combo tune and am hoping it does get sent out this week as I'm heading out on a similar roadtrip this weekend!
From GDE, tunes should start going out tomorrow.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
13 Posts
I received my tune file late morning today. Flash performed without a hitch. I took it for a quick 10-mi. test drive, and like GDE says above, it's like a new vehicle! Can't report yet on mileage numbers, but I expect to be pleased at my next fill-up. Hesitation and gear-hunting are gone - completely.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I received my tune file late morning today. Flash performed without a hitch. I took it for a quick 10-mi. test drive, and like GDE says above, it's like a new vehicle! Can't report yet on mileage numbers, but I expect to be pleased at my next fill-up. Hesitation and gear-hunting are gone - completely.
That’s great news! Hopefully mine comes soon, I’m near needing to refill my tank which would make it nice to see the new effects on a fresh fill from the start.
When did you make your purchase?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
605 Posts
Nice! I'm hoping to be able to get one of these soon.

I have the VA7 (2nd AEM flash) and, while it has made the transmission shift more aggressively, I still have the stutter during low load upshifts (4-5, 5-6, 6-7) when accelerating gently to highway speeds on a slight uphill in the first 5 minutes of driving. It's like it overboosts and then dumps the overboost on the upshift, which causes some kind of faltering in the transmission due to how it's programmed. It sounds like a laughing hyena when it does it and the whole vehicle lurches with momentary loss of accelleration on the upshift. It has never thrown a code, so I don't think it's a combustion issue like a misfire. Dealer has looked at it extensively and they've never figured it out, let alone reproduced it (they're too far from the highway on-ramp).

If it can fix that problem, it's worth the $1100.

My only hesitation is the low voltage battery charge mode. I don't know if that's still something they remove with their tune. I've always had a concern that with my trips sometimes being 10-12 hours on the highway, that my battery life might go down from overcharging if it doesn't lower the voltage when it reaches full charge. As it is, around 5 hours into a trip, it drops into that low voltage mode, presumably because the battery is fully charged. These AGM batteries don't do well with constant float charge. Constant float charge cuts their life to less than half. In a vehicle, you still have rest periods, so it wouldn't be that bad, but it's still something I think about. I suppose I should reach out to them about this. I probably will before I buy. Maybe they have more info that makes it more sensible or it's something they might be able to customize.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
605 Posts
I can’t tell if it is the transmission or the engine, but I get a strange almost shutter/hesitation around 42MPH when accelerating. That wasn’t present before the latest flash.
Please report back on this problem once you get the new tune installed. I'm very interested in your results since I seem to have the same problem.

Reactions: jrmbtr
1 - 20 of 75 Posts