Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
'16 WK2 Summit Diesel
25 Posts
The issue is not the engine tune itself. Anytime you flash on the 2016 WK the parktronics module sets Loss of Communication with PCM and won't work again until you clear the code, for whatever reason the PTS software used in this module year won't heal this code on its own like the others.

You just need a code reader sophisticated enough to communicate with the PTS module and clear the codes out of it then all is good.
So, I have this issue (Parksense disabled when I installed the tune), re-installing the original tune wouldn't clear it. After researching what's available I went with Appcar installed on a PC. I was successfully able to find and clear codes with it, but to my surprise there were no DTC codes for the PTS module. I believe the problem is with the PAM Park assist module, which this program doesn't show as accessible. When I go into the onscreen menu in the truck and check the box for Park Assist, it unchecks itself.

I'm going to uninstall and try the dealer next, unless anyone has tips on how to access/clear codes from the PAM.

·
Registered
'16 WK2 Summit Diesel
25 Posts
So won’t it just come back when you put the tune back on?
Sorry I mis-read your question. I think that's likely but I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

If I have to take it into the dealer, I'm just going to say the Parksense started acting up when I hooked up my hitch mount bike rack - which it will do.

·
Registered
'16 WK2 Summit Diesel
25 Posts
Update: I was able to successfully use Appcar/diagFCA software to reset the Parksense on my '16. I'm not 100% sure how I did it so here's everything I did - apparently something worked.

I searched around for references to the PAM module and found a couple TSBs out there for updating the software on these from FCA products '15 and '16. These procedures mentioned that the error message displayed on the dash is contained in the IPC (instrument panel cluster) module, and that before the software updates that error message has to be cleared out. So I figured I'd log back in and see if this was an option. The TSB also said to make sure to hook up a battery charger first before reprogramming to maintain voltage - I figured it wouldn't hurt so I did that too. When I connected Appcar I was surprised to see two new DTCs - one for the ACC and one for the BCM - for some kind of communication error. Cleared those by going into each module individually (there is also a 'clear all DTCs' option). I went and looked at the options for the IPC module, of course there isn't a box you check that says 'clear service messages'. But all the modules have options to 'Reset' and 'Refresh'. Reset sounds frightening so I clicked 'refresh'. That's when I noticed the Parksense light on the dash button was no longer illuminated. I verified it turns on and off, and also that the options in settings (sensitivity, sounds and lights, etc.) all function without causing an error. Also tried driving and parking and it functions normally.

My theory (I'm a total noob at this) is that even if there are no DTCs related to the Parksense issue, it appears the message on the dash (mine's been on for 3 weeks) needs to be cleared to get it working again. I hope this helps someone else - as of now I'm in it for $90 - $50 for the software, and $40 for the cable - there may be cheaper cable options but the 'OBDLink SX USB' cable was recommended by Appcar, and came from Amazon in 1 day can't beat that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I've noticed at my fillups after the tune that the EVIC MPG and true MPG have not been same for me. The EVIC MPG is about 2-3MPG better than the true MPG, and as it stands I am not seeing a true mileage difference between stock and tune programming.
It also seems the instant MPG average doesn't just show the last 200 miles, or the MPG average on the tripmeter only shows the last 200 miles; because the two numbers have been the same, whereas they used to not be.

I am frankly dissapointed to see that I have not experienced a true mileage differnce at all, especially considering how lazily I drive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't driven it enough to fully confirm. At first the display was showing great mileage improvements, but my actual mileage has also been disappointing. Just checked between 2 highway fuel stops (fairly heavily loaded with 2 people, but not towing anything and no wind to speak of). Went from 118695 to 119098, added 16.24 gallons, so about 24.8 mpg. I was expecting 28-30.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I haven't driven it enough to fully confirm. At first the display was showing great mileage improvements, but my actual mileage has also been disappointing. Just checked between 2 highway fuel stops (fairly heavily loaded with 2 people, but not towing anything and no wind to speak of). Went from 118695 to 119098, added 16.24 gallons, so about 24.8 mpg. I was expecting 28-30.
Is that about what you’d see pre-tune for highway? What did EVIC show for that span?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Post AEM I was seeing high teens on the EVIC around town and never above 24-25on the highway. Dismal. When I had GDE my worst EVIC mileage was about 25 and best on the highway 29 to 31...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is that about what you’d see pre-tune for highway? What did EVIC show for that span?
Pre- tune is hard to tell. After AEM the mileage dropped drastically, but the vehicle had other issues and spent 3 months at the dealership. EVIC showed 28+. I'll be doing a 2100 mile drive in October, so I'll know for sure by then.

·
Registered
'16 WK2 Summit Diesel
25 Posts
I went back and compared my mileage for the 3600 miles post-tune - I've tracked it since day 1 and for the same period last year (post-AEM, no tune) I was at 26.3; with tune it was 24.5. This is after I did all my regular maintenance. I did just pull the MAP sensor to check for soot (it was horrible), and my mileage has slowly trended down since day 1, but it does seem like there's a mileage penalty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I went back and compared my mileage for the 3600 miles post-tune - I've tracked it since day 1 and for the same period last year (post-AEM, no tune) I was at 26.3; with tune it was 24.5. This is after I did all my regular maintenance. I did just pull the MAP sensor to check for soot (it was horrible), and my mileage has slowly trended down since day 1, but it does seem like there's a mileage penalty.
So in your experience you are seeing worse mileage with the tune?

·
Registered
'16 WK2 Summit Diesel
25 Posts
So in your experience you are seeing worse mileage with the tune?
So far, yes. What I don't know is whether there's another variable - maybe the overall state of my 80k engine is an issue (it's never had any issues yet), or if AEM #2 (which I had done in May, but had very few miles on before the GDE tune) caused a decrease that's not related to the tune.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'd suspect an issue unrelated to the tune. Should be little to no soot on the MAP sensor if it was cleaned when the tune was installed. Have you reached out to GDE?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I'd suspect an issue unrelated to the tune. Should be little to no soot on the MAP sensor if it was cleaned when the tune was installed. Have you reached out to GDE?
Should the MAP be cleaned for the tune? Would a dirty MAP impact MPG?

·
Registered
'16 WK2 Summit Diesel
25 Posts
Just to be clear, I didn't clean the sensor until 3k miles after I installed the tune - I've never pulled it before. I just saw a picture of a cruddy one in another thread and it reminded me - when I had the KJ CRD, I'd clean it regularly. This one hadn't been cleaned in 84k miles. Really, this truck has had no issues besides the recall (oh, and that hailstorm. And that deer.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Last fill up the EVIC and calculated MPG differed: 24.4 EVIC vs 23.04 calculated.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
629 Posts
I need to test a few more times, but my first drive after the tune was leaving my office and taking the ramp where I repeatedly experienced the issue. During the acceleration post-tune, I did NOT have the shutter/hesitation, however it was in a higher gear than it normally would have been (6th vs 4/5th). It did feel like I was in too high of a gear, but it did accelerate without issues. I’ll need to do more driving to learn the new throttle modulation characteristics, because I feel if I had my foot in it a little more the gear would have been proper.
Do you have any updates on the "stutter on light load upshift when accelerating to highway speeds after sitting for a couple hours" issue? Has this issue come back at any point after installing the tune?

I got the W41 update and it definitely did NOT fix that issue. If the tune will fix it and I can avoid monkeying with the dealer any more on this issue, I may just have to purchase it finally, especially with it EPA compliant and a flash tool now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Do you have any updates on the "stutter on light load upshift when accelerating to highway speeds after sitting for a couple hours" issue? Has this issue come back at any point after installing the tune?

I got the W41 update and it definitely did NOT fix that issue. If the tune will fix it and I can avoid monkeying with the dealer any more on this issue, I may just have to purchase it finally, especially with it EPA compliant and a flash tool now.
I don’t have any stuttering like I was having. I haven’t had W41 yet either, but need to because I’m sure the frequent regens are throwing off my MPG AVG to some degree.

101 - 120 of 159 Posts