Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
'16 WK2 Summit Diesel
26 Posts
Do you have any updates on the "stutter on light load upshift when accelerating to highway speeds after sitting for a couple hours" issue? Has this issue come back at any point after installing the tune?

I got the W41 update and it definitely did NOT fix that issue. If the tune will fix it and I can avoid monkeying with the dealer any more on this issue, I may just have to purchase it finally, especially with it EPA compliant and a flash tool now.
Before the tune, I had this shifting issue - leaving the house cold about a mile away I had to accelerate to speed, a place where I was always part throttle since it was still cold. 'Stutter' sounds about right. The tune has resolved that, now it runs trough the gears quickly on acceleration (as an 8 speed should), it also seems to get to 8th quicker and hold it better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Going in for the W41 tomorrow; plus an oil change, 80k service, driver HL issue, and random P42C2 CEL.
Anything else I should have them check that might influence the performance of the tune?

·
Vendor
170 Posts
Going in for the W41 tomorrow; plus an oil change, 80k service, driver HL issue, and random P42C2 CEL.
Anything else I should have them check that might influence the performance of the tune?
Make sure to flash back to stock before visiting the dealer.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Make sure to flash back to stock before visiting the dealer.
Would it be logical to deduct that most any dealer visit for any engine or emissions related issue or code, would wipe out any existing tune?

·
Vendor
170 Posts
Would it be logical to deduct that most any dealer visit for any engine or emissions related issue or code, would wipe out any existing tune?
Code checking and diagnostics have no effect to a tune. However, if there is a new TSB or recall with PCM or TCM software updates, that will wipe out the tune if dealer installs them. We recommend flashing back to stock before any dealer visit as a precaution to prevent the chance of bricking the $200 flash tool. If dealer overwrites GDE tune, the tool is junk. As long as stock tune is in the vehicle, then the flash tool can be erased and a new read of software completed after dealer performs an update. In most cases, dealer will not change software and GDE tune can be reinstalled after visit without issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all,

Is anyone having cruise control surging with their new GDE tune? I am having a 3-4 mph hour surge during the first 5 min of driving then it goes away. Thoughts???

I am routinely getting 26mpg in mixed driving with the new tune with 265/65/18 AT tires installed. My last road trip netted a 29mpg overall.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
I’ve had the latest recall done and the update to the tune. Regen still seems too often. I’ve started logging when they occur (date and mileage).

10142020: 79869
10222020: 80042

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
234 Posts
I’ve had the latest recall done and the update to the tune. Regen still seems too often. I’ve started logging when they occur (date and mileage).

I have had a similar issue (Canadian tuner) - I was going through DEF fairly quickly (had to refill the tank 3 times between oil changes). When I talked to the tuner they said that sometimes the PG3 has problems with with the way it writes that section of the PCM with about 1% of the people. They sent me a different file which seems to have solved the problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I have had a similar issue (Canadian tuner) - I was going through DEF fairly quickly (had to refill the tank 3 times between oil changes). When I talked to the tuner they said that sometimes the PG3 has problems with with the way it writes that section of the PCM with about 1% of the people. They sent me a different file which seems to have solved the problem.
Were you having frequent regens?

Just had another one:

10292020: 80250

If the next one happens in the next 7/8 days I have a pattern that is developing.

·
Vendor
170 Posts
DEF consumption and regen interval have nothing to do with each other, those systems are mutually exclusive.

Regen interval will highly be a factor of how you drive the vehicle. A lot of short trips (i.e. 15 minutes or less) will regen a lot more often as opposed to driving 45 min on the freeway one-way to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy. 2014 JGC ED original owner here.

Any word on progress for the GDE tune getting CARB-approved? (I'm in CA.)

I think I remember the latest messages in the forum estimate late summer or Sept 2020. Been trying to hold out on getting the AEM recall done and getting stuck with worse acceleration and worse MPG, but can't wait anymore, need to smog test and renew the registration.

C'mon, Diesel Santa, I've been good this year. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Code checking and diagnostics have no effect to a tune. However, if there is a new TSB or recall with PCM or TCM software updates, that will wipe out the tune if dealer installs them. We recommend flashing back to stock before any dealer visit as a precaution to prevent the chance of bricking the $200 flash tool. If dealer overwrites GDE tune, the tool is junk. As long as stock tune is in the vehicle, then the flash tool can be erased and a new read of software completed after dealer performs an update. In most cases, dealer will not change software and GDE tune can be reinstalled after visit without issues.
I got caught with a throttle code on my way to work at 6:30am the other day. I immediately turned around and headed to the dealership, in limp mode at the end. I did not have the tool in the jeep to flash back to stock, They replaced all the parts in reference to W79 and they completed W41. Am I assuming correctly that I now cannot use the tool I have?

·
Vendor
170 Posts
^^^Try to install the tune with the flash tool, it will flag a part number mismatch if the dealer changed software and it will not allow the flash to proceed. If that proves to be the case, then the tool is a clay pigeon and a new flash tool would be needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
^^^Try to install the tune with the flash tool, it will flag a part number mismatch if the dealer changed software and it will not allow the flash to proceed. If that proves to be the case, then the tool is a clay pigeon and a new flash tool would be needed.
So downloading the new stock and sending the file will not work? Bypassing the attempt to install the tune of course.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts