Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh, got it. I thought you were saying that it was possible to get a GDE canadian tune.
I think GDE will sell you an 'old' tune if you're registering it in Canada. I could register mine at our Canadian address--and indeed, I bought this thing mostly for when it snows there--but when I asked GDE about it they seemed less than enthusiastic. Heck, I might still register it there--the dealer I bought it from hasn't been able to make it happen themselves so far.

To be fair to GDE, I gather they got the full weight of a U.S. Federal regulator right on their chest. I'd probably be gun shy after that, too.

·
Vendor
170 Posts
More important than miles driven is the type of driving. If you do purely freeway cruising only stopping for fuel and get back on the highway, it should be in the 700-800 mile range.

If you do all city driving - meaning 10-15 minutes to the store, the car sits for 20-30 minutes, then get in and drive home or to another location, then it could be in 200-250ish range depending a lot on how you drive during that time. A "mixed" cycle where you might average 25-30mph over a decently long commute could be 400-450 miles.

If you do 240 miles in 2 weeks time then I'd guess that the driving style is more slow speed/city oriented. Here the exhaust heat-up strategy is active more often, this can drop the interval. Also if you do a lot of idling or use of the remote start will decrease the interval as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So, now that some time has passed since the GDE v2... what are the thoughts around the GDE tune being able to keep the soot under control and the engine healthy?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
This is purely speculative opinion, but I’m thinking the consensus is that the old GDE is a reasonably superior product both in bang for buck and long term deliverance of performance,mileage, and engine health benefit.
The 2nd version is pricier and and doesn’t deliver the same mileage and engine health benefit.....although still better than the AEM and subsequent updates.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Am I correct in assuming the W79 EGR cooler replacement is compatible with pre-AEM GDE hot tune? Shutting the EGR off is only a function of the ECU and not the valve?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Am I correct in assuming the W79 EGR cooler replacement is compatible with pre-AEM GDE hot tune? Shutting the EGR off is only a function of the ECU and not the valve?
It may be compatible, but if you take it in for W79 with the tune, there is a pretty high chance they will wipe it out....

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Summit EcoD
281 Posts
It may be compatible, but if you take it in for W79 with the tune, there is a pretty high chance they will wipe it out....
Thanks, that isn't happening.
Keep in mind the EGR cooler and valve are two separate parts, the EGR cooler doesn't include or replace the EGR valve. While EGR may be disabled in the tune by disabling the valve that will have no bearing on whether or not the EGR cooler fails. I would recommend putting the stock tune back on the Jeep and having the EGR cooler replaced for peace of mind. Once you get the Jeep back then reinstall the tune and be on your way.

Reactions: jcaligp

·
Registered
2015 Overland w/ 3.0 Eco
297 Posts
Just returned from 5 years overseas. I was able to work with a local dealer here in Tucson AZ and have 4 recalls completed on my 2015. I then worked with GDE and paid a $50 fee for an updated tune from a new read from my CPU after the updates. Installed the new tune and it's running like a champ. I have just over 105K miles on my 2015.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
141 - 159 of 159 Posts