Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Sorry I’m introducing myself this way. But I have been bidding on a 4.7 2004 V8 Overland & really want it. But it has issues that need fixing but I’m now not sure if they can be? I am on another Forum but with the time differences I’ve not heard from anyone. Here’s the message I sent them.

(So basically it has no front or rear prop shaft. His has been damaged & is in the boot. So he’s stated it is only running in 2x4, not full 4x4.

Can I ask if you think if I fix/replace the whole Prop Shaft Front & Rear, would it kick in the 4x4 again? Is the Prop/Drive Shaft connected to it’s 4x4 capabilities? Is it a relatively simple job?

If you can advise me with these questions I’d be incredibly grateful. So at least I can know if I should carry on bidding or not.

Thanks my friend, your input has really helped a lot & means a lot also. Thanks man! Sincerely.)

if you can advise me on this 2x4 & prop shaft issue I’d be very grateful. I have just over an hour until it’s over. It’s 15:42 Weds 12th Jan. Thanks my friends. Happy New Year people!

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori. Torque- 367 Nm/271 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm
225 Posts
Lo m8 soz just got in and can see time may have run out for your bidding

Popping a drives shaft on isn't a problem, but I'd be cautious as you say both front and rear are missing? My guess is the seller has had some kind of tranny blow out or the like, or worse a gearbox issue

I'd ask, is this why it's being sold on? Having no prop shafts attached would definitely be a worry for me, as it would have to be announced as possible spares or repair, and without giving a vehicle a test drive/physical inspection, I would compare the costs of possible repairs and what you'll pay, vs a gc that's road worthy with an mot

How did he manage to break the shafts? If one is in the boot, why so and not attached? Did the damage caused trash other components, and the repairs are so high he's getting rid of it?

Tbh, unless you're mechanically savvy and know what you're looking for to make it roadworthy, I would be very dubious, but that's just my opinion
And I would've thought it would need at least one prop shaft attached to be able to run in 2 wd (the rear one) but with both removed from the tranny then it'll be a non-runner? However, I might be wrong so others may be able to offer better guidance
Good luck anyways 👍

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,952 Posts
It could well have issues with the transfer case, which is why HE SAYS it only has 4x2 but it is currently undriveable. Right??
A bit of a crap shoot if you dont know the vehicle. It all comes down to your mechanical ability and pain threshhold😉

Reactions: Seakir

·
Registered
225 Posts
A quick thought morse being's as u in UK like me...
If u after a wj gc, shop around and look at the variations
2002-2004 diesel versions have a merc engine in, and I've had the 3.1 vm Italian boat engine for 8 years now and love it
There's the 4 litre/4.7 as well, but shop about and check auto trader on line- that's where we saw ours back in 2013 being sold at a dealership in Stoke
It's had a few issues, I've fixed 90% of stuff myself and left 10% for garages/mobile mechanics to sort out, and never regretted getting the Italian boat engine version
Anyways, if u had a lack of response from other forums then stay tuned in this one as it is very good for responses and people still being active
And, above all, welcome to the jeep family 👪 😉👍

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Lo m8 soz just got in and can see time may have run out for your bidding

Popping a drives shaft on isn't a problem, but I'd be cautious as you say both front and rear are missing? My guess is the seller has had some kind of tranny blow out or the like, or worse a gearbox issue

I'd ask, is this why it's being sold on? Having no prop shafts attached would definitely be a worry for me, as it would have to be announced as possible spares or repair, and without giving a vehicle a test drive/physical inspection, I would compare the costs of possible repairs and what you'll pay, vs a gc that's road worthy with an mot

How did he manage to break the shafts? If one is in the boot, why so and not attached? Did the damage caused trash other components, and the repairs are so high he's getting rid of it?

Tbh, unless you're mechanically savvy and know what you're looking for to make it roadworthy, I would be very dubious, but that's just my opinion
And I would've thought it would need at least one prop shaft attached to be able to run in 2 wd (the rear one) but with both removed from the tranny then it'll be a non-runner? However, I might be wrong so others may be able to offer better guidance
Good luck anyways 👍
Hi my friends, thank you all for replying so quickly. So, I did win the bidding. The seller has been super nice & does have good seeming honest feedback. He’s been reassuring that it drives incredibly well & says the engine is bulletproof. He says it drives fine without the prop shaft present. Also ask him & he says once the Prop Shaft is replaced the 4x4 should kick in!? I have no mechanical background unfortunately.

I’ve seen some Double Cardan Prop Shafts online that look good to replace. And also seen a Tom Woods prop shaft conversion kit in the US for around $699.00. Reviews said their driving experience has been spectacular Since the change. But it’s not that cheap & maybe even more expensive to ship here to the UK & with customs on top.

I also just heard about a Transfer Case (NP242) from a kind member on another Forum. But I don’t know what one looks like & when I type it in my search bar nothing much comes up?

Just to say I been Been contacting the seller back n forth for a while earlier, he seems genuine & wants to help. Says if he had the time & funds he’d keep it, but he has a lot on his plate.Q

I thank you all for your input. I’m sorry I’m only replying now & I’m not well physically & sleep patterns all over the place So I’ve just woken up & it’s 00:16, & only just got a chance to respond.

But now what you’re saying is a bit worrying. I can’t recall exactly. But I think he said he drove over something & hit metal & it broke the prop shaft. Not 100% though. I’ve given him a £100 deposit I’d prefer to lose that than the £1£70 that I purchased it for.

It’s a nice looking 4.7 V8 2004 WJ 24th 265bhp He been very helpful, but I guess that doesn’t mean his car is fixable. He says it’s a joy to drive.

If this is fixable I’m up for the challenge & it’s at a decent price in comparison to some that have sold in the UK that didn’t look so great. I’m cool to do some work on it & bring it back to 4x4 lid :). It seems there‘s a decent Double Cardan Front & Rear Prop Shaft models for around £150-£170 each. But also concerning the NP242 Transfer Case, I don’t know what one looks like & when I try online I can’t see anything that resembles a case for a long prop shaft, but I could be way off the mark there.

Anyways, all the best my friends. I appreciate your guidance & any further input from what I’ve written would be very much welcomed. Thanks people! Sincerely.

Morse

·
Premium Member
2020 WK2 - previous Jeeps:XJ, WK
323 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on winning the auction, Morse. I hope you and your mechanic friend will, at least, have a chance to start the engine (from cold) and get it up to operating temperature before you pay in full and take possession. While it’s running you can check various things such as the heater, steering etc. Also I would want to look at the two prop shafts to see if the damage to them matches the seller’s story. Trust but verify.

·
Registered
GC TH
553 Posts
When you pay in full, make sure you have some kind of protection (PayPal, Credit Card, etc), if possible. There are several companies that make replacement shafts for them in the Us, so you should be able to get your hands on one somewhere.

The front prop shaft physically connects the transfer case to the front differential. The transfer case sits at the rear of the transmission and has internal gears/belt that directs the rotation of the transmission to the front, via the prop shaft. Hope this helps explain how it works a little bit.

Reactions: Seakir

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2002-2004 diesel versions have a merc engine in, and I've had the 3.1 vm Italian boat engine for 8 years now and love it
There's the 4 litre/4.7 as well, but shop about and check auto trader on line- that's where we saw ours back in 2013 being sold at a dealership in Stoke
It's had a few issues, I've fixed 90% of stuff myself and left 10% for garages/mobile mechanics to sort out, and never regretted getting the Italian boat engine version
Anyways, if u had a lack of response from other forums then stay tuned in this one as it is very good for responses and people still being active
Hi my friend, thanks for responding. I’ve written something in answer to everyone‘s input On Seakir’s reply. Hope that’s cool, I was rushing going to sleep & write a bit of a mess. But just edited it now to make more sense. I’ll respond individually from now on. Cheers mate!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could well have issues with the transfer case, which is why HE SAYS it only has 4x2 but it is currently undriveable. Right??
A bit of a crap shoot if you dont know the vehicle. It all comes down to your mechanical ability and pain threshhold😉
Hi mate, I hear you. Thanks for responding. He said it’s fully drivable so a bit confused myself. I answered to Seakirs question & edited my long response earlier to hopefully make more sense as I was half asleep earlier. But thanks my friend, appreciate your time!

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I don't know that much about the WJs. So, not knowing which transfer case you have, I have doubts that the Jeep can just run in rear wheel drive (2x4) if the front drive shaft is missing. With the Selectrac transfer case, with part-time 4WD high, it might be possible. If this is a full-time 4WD then the centre differential would likely prevent it from driving with the front shaft missing. Someone must know more about this than I do.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you pay in full, make sure you have some kind of protection (PayPal, Credit Card, etc), if possible. There are several companies that make replacement shafts for them in the Us, so you should be able to get your hands on one somewhere.

The front prop shaft physically connects the transfer case to the front differential. The transfer case sits at the rear of the transmission and has internal gears/belt that directs the rotation of the transmission to the front, via the prop shaft. Hope this helps explain how it works a little bit.
Hi mate, thanks for helping! So yeh, he doesn’t have a PayPal account set up. But he has 62 Feedback all very positive. In all honesty I’m getting nervous as I read everyone’s replies. He seems genuine & seems To want to help, I don’t know I have to think this one through. I’d prefer to loose £100 deposit rather than £1370. I have to see what‘s my next move. But thanks for helping! Cheers mate!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on winning the auction, Morse. I hope you and your mechanic friend will, at least, have a chance to start the engine (from cold) and get it up to operating temperature before you pay in full and take possession. While it’s running you can check various things such as the heater, steering etc. Also I would want to look at the two prop shafts to see if the damage to them matches the seller’s story. Trust but verify.
Hi mate, thanks for what you said. He states it drives fine & I’m meeting him at a train station to pick it up on Sunday. Freaking out a bit as it’s cash in hand so no PayPal protection. He honestly seems genuine but Ii’d hate to lose £1370 on this. I gave him £100 deposit, I don’t mind loosing that as much. But the sale price was decent for me & I wasn’t the only bidder. I’d hate to tell him no & this would have been a cheap fix. But I have alarms bells so stressin! Anywyas I’ve just woken up, it’s nearly 1am my sleep patterns all over the place :) I hope I can make the right decision, but. With everyone’s input I fear I need to call it a day & start again. Thanks my friend. All the best!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for responding mate! Means a lot! So in all honesty I don’t know if I’m about to make a bad decision but with what people have said I should probably cancel & end it here before I loose the bigger part as I gave him £100 deposit. I’m worried 5his is a good buy & I’ll miss out if I cancel. But I’d hate to take it off his hands to find out it’s irreparable? I’m getting confused, I don’t know. But I appreciate you helping me out. All the best my friend. Cheers man!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lo m8
You've got sound advice being posted up from members so I'd definitely listen to it
The idea of a piece of metal being driven over that's caused the damage to 2 propshafts will need careful consideration, but you've done some research and seem to have an understanding of what to look for in terms of repairing
So, if ure happy with possible tranny swap and 2 props, then definitely check the rear axles and diffs u don't want to see warping on anything and look for seals being blown in the diff/prop shafts
Check engine and leaks definitely check gearbox fluid should be red and not burned but light tan might be signs if needing service and it should be at right level
If it drives then test drive it gear box and all listen for usual creaks groans thanks
Also, instead of hammering accelerator high revving, just start her up listen for idle roughness let her start getting to temp check around her while she's warming
Check electrics work she's a gc and has issues no doubt but they're fixeable- it just depends on ure time and budget
When she's warmed a bit and not leaking, then gently just tap accelerator about 3 times and get a feel, then repeat a bit harder listen for looseness and watch for smoke or vapour from exhaust and for any exhaust leaks in engine bay ull be adding spurts of power to see instead of thrashing her
Lastly, check the brakes and discs first before u drive her
If they're decent along with the lines and hoses underneath then she's had a degree of tlc
Take a torch and a rag get in her and under her, inspect well
If in doubt, take photos while there and post them, see what people think
I get alert reminders for posts I reply to, so reply should be quick
Above all, enjoy looking at her and see what ure gut says 😉👍

·
Registered
225 Posts
Read the other posts now-
If its driving and the front shaft is the broken one, with main rear connected then that makes sense for wj to run as it's rear wheel drive and front kicks in for compensation so it's part time 4wd/full time rwd on tarmac. U just have to be aware of that when test driving as no help will be there from traction control if u hit ice. Long as no tranny breakage or front diff it should have 4x4 back when front shaft replaced check ebay for these standards are about 150 quid ish
Hope it eases your mind now sleep well and dont worry
All will be well in jeep karma land 😁👍

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Okay, so it does drive now...that's a great start! I hope it lives up to your expectations when you see it and check it out.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know that much about the WJs. So, not knowing which transfer case you have, I have doubts that the Jeep can just run in rear wheel drive (2x4) if the front drive shaft is missing. With the Selectrac transfer case, with part-time 4WD high, it might be possible. If this is a full-time 4WD then the centre differential would likely prevent it from driving with the front shaft missing. Someone must know more about this than I do.
Thank you mate, yeh I’m confused. He says it drives
Lo m8
You've got sound advice being posted up from members so I'd definitely listen to it
The idea of a piece of metal being driven over that's caused the damage to 2 propshafts will need careful consideration, but you've done some research and seem to have an understanding of what to look for in terms of repairing
So, if ure happy with possible tranny swap and 2 props, then definitely check the rear axles and diffs u don't want to see warping on anything and look for seals being blown in the diff/prop shafts
Check engine and leaks definitely check gearbox fluid should be red and not burned but light tan might be signs if needing service and it should be at right level
If it drives then test drive it gear box and all listen for usual creaks groans thanks
Also, instead of hammering accelerator high revving, just start her up listen for idle roughness let her start getting to temp check around her while she's warming
Check electrics work she's a gc and has issues no doubt but they're fixeable- it just depends on ure time and budget
When she's warmed a bit and not leaking, then gently just tap accelerator about 3 times and get a feel, then repeat a bit harder listen for looseness and watch for smoke or vapour from exhaust and for any exhaust leaks in engine bay ull be adding spurts of power to see instead of thrashing her
Lastly, check the brakes and discs first before u drive her
If they're decent along with the lines and hoses underneath then she's had a degree of tlc
Take a torch and a rag get in her and under her, inspect well
If in doubt, take photos while there and post them, see what people think
I get alert reminders for posts I reply to, so reply should be quick
Above all, enjoy looking at her and see what ure gut says 😉👍
Really appreciate your input mate, means a lot! So, the prop shaft burst I think has has a Reprezza Prop Shaft. I’ve looked online & seen a Tom Woods conversion kit but not sure if they’ll post to uk & will the postage & customs charge end up me paying double? But the man seems honestly genuine! He has quite a few positive feedback selling cars & they’ve commented on how his description was spot on! I think he has the rear shaft still in place but it is damaged also. I read online that it can still drive with one shaft. I don’t know. I’ve seen another Grand Cherokee pretty much kitted out at a 4.0 engine, looks really nice. But it would be great if i had the experience of fixing my car then slowly building it up to something that makes me smile & proud. Feels a little like someone else did this not me so it doesn’t have the same pride component. But the 4.0 does look pretty, here it is:

And here some images of the one I just purchased:
Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Road surface Asphalt Tar Public utility Gas

Thanks my friend. Any thoughts on either of these 2 Grand Cherokees would be appreciated! All the best mate. Have a good day!

·
Registered
225 Posts
She looks pretty
The prop has blown its joint- looks like the boot at the cv end and not how I imagined it being broken in half lol
Tbh in UK even if u brought for 1470 total, you may make dosh back either as spares or in repairs
If its just the shafts and luck is on your side, then you might be onto a winner here and even be in profit at the end of the day 👍
Keep us updated and I would be tempted to follow ure route, now I seen her
Still test and inspect though, and if in doubt walk away
If she starts and drives, be wary if it's still got a busted out prop attached
Jeeps are damn good project cars with a bit of tlc and time/dosh if u still got 1k in your budget, u don't need to go beyond oem type swaps just yet
Good luck 👍

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Hey, it looks very nice. I see it has a modified exhaust, coming out in front of the rear wheel. You might want to confirm that the exhaust will be okay with your MOT. Presumably. it has been approved already.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She looks pretty
The prop has blown its joint- looks like the boot at the cv end and not how I imagined it being broken in half lol
Tbh in UK even if u brought for 1470 total, you may make dosh back either as spares or in repairs
If its just the shafts and luck is on your side, then you might be onto a winner here and even be in profit at the end of the day 👍
Keep us updated and I would be tempted to follow ure route, now I seen her
Still test and inspect though, and if in doubt walk away
If she starts and drives, be wary if it's still got a busted out prop attached
Jeeps are damn good project cars with a bit of tlc and time/dosh if u still got 1k in your budget, u don't need to go beyond oem type swaps just yet
Good luck 👍
Ah man, thanks mate! Glad you got to see her, I didn’t see a message dot on my avatar so didn’t know you & another had replied. But yeh, I have something to think through. Really could do with something running clean & not needing something now. But you’re spot on, if this is just a Prop Shaft issue it’s a great bargain! I’m gutted cos I just found something else ready to rock & I’m torn man! I know what it’s like selling so I don’t want to waste the mans time & money. I gave him £100 & just thinking I’ll tell him keep it, apologise & move on. Or do what‘s necessary & get the Prop replaced & have a fully working car for decent monies! I’m torn man! Not to mess with you all here’s my other possibility she really nice also but finished for the moment:

Only thing is I was dying to feel that 4.7. But the owner of this 4.0L said it’s a High Output 4L so has a kick to it. I won’t draw this out, he deserves to know what’s going on asap. But I’m gonna take a moment & think this through & fingers crossed my best decision will come to me! But mate. You’re a star as is the other member who just replied, I really app the input. I’ll keep you posted! Cheers my friend!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts