Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Hey, it looks very nice. I see it has a modified exhaust, coming out in front of the rear wheel. You might want to confirm that the exhaust will be okay with your MOT. Presumably. it has been approved already.
Hi my friend, thanks so much for letting me know that! I didn’t realise. He said there 2 exhausts but I was scratching my head as my novice eyes literally can’t see em :) But I’ll ask him. Also there one other that’s very tempting indeed man! I added it on Seakir’s response but here it is as well to make things simple:

Really appreciate the heads up about the exhaust I wouldn’t have known. & glad you like her. Either Road I choose they both look amazing but one is more finished. I just wish with all I got going on that this 4.7 was complete. But as Seakir’s said if it is just a Prop Shaft issue I could be very fortunate & have This at a great price & I need that now. It’s down to, do I want something complete or softer on the pocket. I’m torn but i‘ll take a moment & think it through. I’ll come back to see if you both said anything about this 4L! Thanks so much mate!

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori. Torque- 367 Nm/271 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm
175 Posts
Nps and remember it's your money so don't feel obliged to buy anything
If its a runner with mot vs non runner, the seller of the one you put 100 down as deposit won't be moaning- trust me, he's made easy dosh for sake of a few days
However, if the 4 litre is nice, and considering fuel costs, its definitely worth checking it out
You are blessed with a choice 😁👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nps and remember it's your money so don't feel obliged to buy anything
If its a runner with mot vs non runner, the seller of the one you put 100 down as deposit won't be moaning- trust me, he's made easy dosh for sake of a few days
However, if the 4 litre is nice, and considering fuel costs, its definitely worth checking it out
You are blessed with a choice 😁👍
Thank you my friend, glad I tried this Forum, you’ve been incredibly helpful! & everyone has it‘s been great getting instant knowledge & advice like this! So yeh, I just spoke to the seller & he says it’s fine & appreciated the ton, so I feel better about it! So now it’s either today or 2moz with this 4L. Been up since 11pm last night so pretty smashed. But I may just get a 2nd wind & fly up there & drive back with my 1st foot in the Cherokee world, would be nice man! So anyways, I’ll speak to the other guy & see what’s what. I‘ll keep u posted mate. This really helped me out, cheers man! All the best my friend!

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD
42 Posts
I twisted up the stock front drive shaft on my GC off-roading and had to remove it on the trail. Replaced it later with an upgraded aftermarket shaft and all was well. Not a big deal if everything else on this vehicle is OK.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I twisted up the stock front drive shaft on my GC off-roading and had to remove it on the trail. Replaced it later with an upgraded aftermarket shaft and all was well. Not a big deal if everything else on this vehicle is OK.
Thanks my friend, really appreciate your input! & you’re spot on! Part of me really wanted to. But I got warning signs that made me nervous. I originally messaged him before bidding ended asking is it possible to retract my bid. But he said he didn’t know how to do that! Even though I told him how to retract the bid. So bidding ended & my bid won.

So after going back n forth I called yesterday & said again I'm just to nervous about this & apologised. He said cool, so it’s in some way freed me up. But he’s now saying he doesn’t know how to cancel the sale also? Even though I told him how to.

So he’s saying to let it run it’s course & relist at the end. But that means it looks like I never paid & could go against me! So again, there’s a few things that don’t sit right. I wish I knew mechanics & just went for it knowing I could fix it!

But, now either way I’m back to the start, looking for a 4.7 Fingers X! But thanks again mate. I’ll post anything I end up buying. Hope something nice comes up. There is a nice 4L that I posted on Seakir’s response if you wanna take a look.

I probably shouldn’t have bidded. But I thought could I get this done, but doubt kicked in & turned things round. Anyways, thanks for helping me out. I’ll keep you all posted! Cheers man!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
She looks pretty
The prop has blown its joint- looks like the boot at the cv end and not how I imagined it being broken in half lol
Tbh in UK even if u brought for 1470 total, you may make dosh back either as spares or in repairs
If its just the shafts and luck is on your side, then you might be onto a winner here and even be in profit at the end of the day 👍
Keep us updated and I would be tempted to follow ure route, now I seen her
Still test and inspect though, and if in doubt walk away
If she starts and drives, be wary if it's still got a busted out prop attached
Jeeps are damn good project cars with a bit of tlc and time/dosh if u still got 1k in your budget, u don't need to go beyond oem type swaps just yet
Good luck 👍
Hi my friend, hope all is well. So yeh, I'm still looking around & learning at the same time. I see that the 2004 Overland goes up to 255bhp! Whereas 1999 to 2003 are only 220bhp? Hope I’m right. So, weirdly enough, on Autotrader a few months back I saved this:

Only thing is they’re saying it may need a new alternator & someone said to me that alternator problems could end up being the ECU/ECM. It’s running everything’s fine & it’s been there a while & was £2500 so dropped £550.

Not sure if I’m back to where I was with the last one. But I don’t have the same nervousness with this
dealership. But I guess I’m back seeing if an Alternator or ECU replacement are easy things or costly? & if it ends up being the ECU as the problem. If I replace the ECU does that mean changing keys etc?

So there’s the 4.0L kitted out Grand Cherokee that’s ready to drive but doesn’t have that 255bph experience. Or this 2004 Overland with 255 but once again needing a bit of attention?

Sorry to have all these questions. But any advise would help a load! Cheers my friend!. Morse

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It could well have issues with the transfer case, which is why HE SAYS it only has 4x2 but it is currently undriveable. Right??
A bit of a crap shoot if you dont know the vehicle. It all comes down to your mechanical ability and pain threshhold😉
Thanks for that info my friend. Apologies a whole load has taken place since & ended up not going down that road. I’m at 2 in the moment. 1 is this in Autotrader:

or this:

One 4.0L full kitted out but not the 255bhp of the 2004 Overland. And the 2004 Overland in Autotrader has an Alternator & possible ECU/ECM issue as one guy said sometime alternators can mask a problem with the ECU.

is an alternator or ECU/ECM a costly replacement & does it then need new keys etc?

But anyways. Thanks for your input. Trying to get round to thanking everyone for their help. But all the best my friend. Sincerely.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,939 Posts
The kitted out one may have its own issues due to all the customization. The silver one looks an honest vehicle and the alternator issue should be easily diagnosed by a good auto electrician. And PCM replacements are around $200.

·
Premium Member
2020 WK2 - previous Jeeps:XJ, WK
304 Posts
When you see the right one, you'll know! That's how I quickly settled on my lightly used Laredo a year ago; it had everything I wanted and no unnecessary (to me) frills.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A picture to help you along......

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Automotive carrying rack

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The kitted out one may have its own issues due to all the customization. The silver one looks an honest vehicle and the alternator issue should be easily diagnosed by a good auto electrician. And PCM replacements are around $200.
Thanks for getting back to me mate, that’s reassuring!. I actually spoke to them a little while ago. They said that the battery runs flat fast! So he’s not sure where it may really lay But they feel it may lie with the Alternator?
And I actually just spoke to an electrician friend (& I hope I can retain his knowledge) but he gave me some pointers on how to test the alternator & battery to see if either one is the culprit?

In all honesty the kitted out 4.0L looks really nice. And yeh I’m with you on that as well! With some vehicles I can see that being customised there could be issues. Only thing that’s reassuring is. Their selling point is, it’s owned by a mechanic who’s had it for a year & worked on it & got it straight. The mechanics only selling to put towards his Cosworth build!

Even though the 4L looks the part, I’ve been dreaming about the 255bhp of that 2004 4.7 V8. Reading peoples experiences & watching vids on their sound & watching them speed off from static. I‘d love to experience the power I’ve heard so much about! & get behind the wheel & feel the car roar!!! I have a Z3 that I love, it saved me! But I want to travel & off road & also need something for heavy equipment

Crazy thing! The guy that I just cancelled on for the prop, rung me & said he’s going to fix the prop & put it back up on eBay & hopefully get good money for it! Kicking myself, I just got nervous man… sugar!

Also he revved up the engine! Man it sounded amazing! I guess he’s trying to let me know he was being honest, but whilst putting a boot in :) Gutted, I feel bad & sorry for myself :) It’s sad Man. Just with some bad purchases on eBay & no mechanical background I lost my bottle & became distrustful!

But hey, some say, rejection is Gods protection? I guess that can work for everyone involved!

So thanks for getting back to me mate. The saga continues :) Cheers!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Morse and it looks positive with your searching. Glad to see that you're still looking- if you're a Jeep junkie and good with spanners then the 4.7 might've been a good buy, but I feel that you need to buy a good runner as your first GC, then the gremlins can be tackled with the help of the rest of us... ;) (y)

Funny thing about the bhp regarding GC's that I see- it depends what you really want it for, as to whether you should take any notice

Mine's got the lowest bhp rating, is considered a tractor engine (or boat lump!) being a 3.1 VM Motori, but it has the highest torque delivered at 1800 rpm, not the 3600 rpm scale given for all others, so it rarely gets exerted or stressed -unless the 2200 rpm at its gear changing is considered to be stressing an engine?
She has rooks of power bottom end and is quick off the mark, responsive for overtaking and excellent for getting up steep hills confidently. She cruises nicely at 70, averages 17.5 mpg when pottering around the neighbourhood and 24-29 are figures I see between 55-70 mph on carriageways and motorways, and these do it it for me
If you want a more modern diesel, then 2002-2004 have more bhp than the 99-01 like mine, but they don't have same torque. They'll probably give you better mpg figures and also have Merc engines that were used in some van models and are reliable, as long as they're maintained, just like any engine. If you can, find a GC with service history- the more you know, the better before you part with your dosh.
Above all, none of the diesels in the WJ bracket have DPF filters as they came on the market during WK's I think? 2006+ or something like that. Therefore, no 'mot fail, replace your dpf' b/s! (y):LOL:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks mate! Yeh I not long ago talked to an electrician friend. & have me some pointers to look at the alternator & battery with a metre! Hope I can recall what he said! But I think it’ll come to me.
When you see the right one, you'll know! That's how I quickly settled on my lightly used Laredo a year ago; it had everything I wanted and no unnecessary (to me) frills.
Yeh, I guess that’s how our best or longest experiences come, when we least expect it & when it’s meant to& when we’re read+. I’ve been looking at this for some months & it dropped price due to the alternator. So I’ll see how it takes me when I‘m with it. But in the mean time still do some research & searching!

Very grateful Indeed though for everyone one on this & another Forum. It‘s a great platform to reach out & ask for help in what brings that set of people together, whatever that particular Forums about. I shied away being a bit of an isolator, but it’s been interesting communicating with others, esp when I get nervous. It’s been an eye opener & well needed! So thanks to everyone’s input & time! Means a lot! So thanks my friend. I’ll see what reveals itself & keep you all posted! Cheers man!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Morse- I just looked at both the GC's you've linked.
It depends what you're after- the v8 roar with alternator/serpentine belt replacement or a modded GC good all rounder?
Both are certainly going to grab attention and are head turners. The modded one means everything's been done in terms of worrying about giving it a lift- all you gotta do is swap like-for-like if something breaks, which is cool. The 4.7 gives a sense of tearing up the tarmac and a sense of refinement. All you might have to do is wonder how you'll make her your baby, no matter the choice you make.
Good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
A picture to help you along......

View attachment 239708
Ah mate! Man that’s a nice scene! Firstly your V8 (nice shape/colour/wheels/tyres/alloys & roof rack! Man, I could sleep up there being tall!) but also forgive me folks, esp peeps from over here. But I’m struggling with the grey skies that match the concrete & cold wet weather here. I’d love to get out & go somewhere like there driving in something like that, & feel that freedom!! We get to use to our surroundings & next second decades have passed! But man, Thanks my friend, appreciate something to point towards! I hope to get my next motor sn & take an image like that & post it! Thanks mate! Sincerely.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Morse, if you don't mind me asking before you make your choice of GC...
which part of UK do you live in?
I'm in Shropshire and its a mix of dual carriageways and rural roads, hence I love the low end torque being in a mainly rural area.
It might steer your decision in the end (y)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Morse- I just looked at both the GC's you've linked.
It depends what you're after- the v8 roar with alternator/serpentine belt replacement or a modded GC good all rounder?
Both are certainly going to grab attention and are head turners. The modded one means everything's been done in terms of worrying about giving it a lift- all you gotta do is swap like-for-like if something breaks, which is cool. The 4.7 gives a sense of tearing up the tarmac and a sense of refinement. All you might have to do is wonder how you'll make her your baby, no matter the choice you make.
Good luck and enjoy
Thank you mate, you’re spot on! Sorry to do this, but can I ask & whomever reads this can let me know also. But can the roar of the V8 get too much down the motorway, going on long trips? Maybe you just get used to it, but wondering can it get jarring? Maybe that’s too much of a individual basis! But thanks for simplifying it & yeh, be real nice to lay my touch on her & get creative! I’ll go to this 2004 tomorrow & see what comes up. I’ll keep you posted my friend. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
175 Posts
My take on the V8 roar...
I used to have a Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 with a custom exhaust. It's twin tailpipes could take my fists and have room to spare, and it had a deep purr like that of a V8. I used to love pulling up next to Nissan's with their tinny whining and just roar it, grinning...

As it was said in the Bible of all road-warrior movies, the original Mad Max with Mel Gibson before he did go mad: 'She's the last of the great V8's...'

If anyone ever gets tired of the roar of a V8 engine when you open her up, then they need to be slapped in the face with a wet kipper!

Besides, GC's have good sound-proofing and excellent stereo systems. Just pump up the volume and grin...

Also- my WJ is a different engine layout to the 4.7 V8, so I can't say how easy it is when the ancillary components blow out and need replacing. But-
Alternator threw its pulley in our GC a few years ago, so I ordered one off Ebay along with serpentine belt- came to about 180 quid all in. Alternator is on top of my engine bay, so I just unbolted the power line from battery and 2 bolts on its mounting, then use a 1 inch socket to slacken belt tension-er to fit belt. Took about 40 mins start to finish (10 mins figuring out how belt followed diagram on fan shroud, lol). Easy as pie for my model, but I'm unsure as to the 4.7's.
However, I got a Haynes manual with all petrol models covered, so I can relay any aid you need for whatever model you choose. There are a lot of peeps on here who are also intimate with these models, so you're in good hands no matter what you choose.

I've also found a good source of Jeep suppliers in the UK on Ebay, and anything I need I look on their online shop first- it's: JeepChrysler.com. OEM stuff usually and they get my thumbs up anytime with very good prices and quality gear, and any queries I've ever had, they've always responded on the phone to my satisfaction.
Our brothers and sisters in USA can get stuff from many suppliers, but we have to search about here in the UK. Don't let that put you off. Everytime I've just popped the hood checking my oil in an Asda or Tesco, you'll find it'll be a 4x4er or a WJ owner that'll ask you if things are okay (which has happened to me countless times, like I wave to other Jeep drivers on the roads). Also, if my 3.1TD VM is rarer than your 4.7, then consider I've never had a problem getting any parts here in UK, primarily because of Ebay and JC.com.

Damn! I sound like a feckin salesman for GC's, lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lol- I'm not editing my post again: with any V8 roar- if you just feather and rest, they don;t roar, they purr
If you're cruising at a steady 60/70, they just have a deeper resonance and sound sweet (providing your exhaust is in good condition).
But every time you enter a tunnel, or find a wall or hedgerow, block of houses you want to hear that sound bouncing back...just let her rip!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wish I still had that old V8 GC. It was a lot fun but did a lot of risky things to it and eventually messed it up pretty bad. Good luck in your search!

Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

21 - 40 of 42 Posts