Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, longtime Nissan Xterra owner, about to pull the trigger on a 2020 JGC Limited purchase (because Nissan doesn't make Xterras anymore :( ). This seems like a fantastic resource that I hope to never need after my purchase! I have a few questions that would help me finalize my decision.

1) Extended warranties: Reading a lot of horror stories here and elsewhere gave me pause about moving forward with the purchase. Particularly around leaky sunroofs, but also seemingly lots of other things. One can never predict what any given vehicle will be like, and one can also find horror stories for any vehicle on the internet. So I figure the best protection might be an extended warranty (though you can't protect against hassle and lost time for unforeseen repairs). Any thoughts or suggestions about purchasing a Jeep extended warranty vs. a third-party company? This article, which I found via this forum, gives high marks to Endurance, CARCHEX and CarShield. Worth the money?

2) Related question: I've been working with my local dealership, and I've got them down to about $40,700 (plus tax) for a Limited (with ProTech II, Trailer Group IV, Premium Lighting and Alpine stereo system). The vehicle is at another dealer. I just learned that other dealer offers a "warranty forever" on powertrain coverage if you purchase from them. Would such an unlimited powertrain warranty be worth the sh*ttiness of bailing on the first dealer and buying directly from this other dealer?

3) Leaky sunroofs: How widespread a problem is this, really? I found quite a few stories here and elsewhere on the web, including reports of class action lawsuits, etc. Is it uncommon, despite these reports? Is it older model years, or happening still with even recent model years? I know a warranty would cover it, and I've read the DIY fixes on this site, but water intrusion can cause all sorts of hidden issues, especially to electronics.

Bottom line, I don't want to spend close to $50K on a new vehicle that I can't rely upon. You all have way more experience with the brand than I do, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just bought my 2020 JGC Limited X, for about $40,300
Has the sunroof, panoramic sky view, and purchased the 5/60 bumper to bumper Mopar warranty, $50 deductible for $1400. Said if I sell or trade in, they will pro-rate the extended warranty and get money back. Figured it was worth it.
IMHO, if you plan to keep it, its worth it...but fight to get it below $1500.
The "engines for life", problem is you have to have you car serviced by their recommendations, so you spend a ton over time paying for tranny flush, rear end flushes, all some needed, some not, but they assume its only as long as you own the vehicle. Most people wont keep a car 10 years or longer. But you will pay by abiding by their rules in order to get engines for life.

You'll love it, I love mine...drives great, and the Premium lighting is a must, great headlights.

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contracts can be worthy if you intend on keeping the vehicle long term as they are comprehensive (exclusionary, meaning only a few specifically listed things are not covered) and backed by the manufacturer. I advise you to avoid third party contracts with a passion. You can buy the Mopar contract online from multiple authorized dealers at a nice discount from most finance person's offers and/or use the quote for leverage with them. There are many threads about that here at JeepGarage. The "lifetime" powertrain warranty the other dealer offers is something of their own and likely only is good at their dealership. And the powertrain isn't where the long term cost normally is, anyway, so they have little risk.

A great price is at least 5-6% below invoice BEFORE any incentives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "lifetime" powertrain warranty the other dealer offers is something of their own and likely only is good at their dealership. And the powertrain isn't where the long term cost normally is, anyway, so they have little risk.
I linked to their website above with details about their "warranty forever." It says "There is no deductible. It pays 100% parts and labor costs anywhere in the USA!" I haven't talked to this dealer yet, but I assume "anywhere in the USA" means at any dealership. And while powertrain may not be the most likely thing to break down, wouldn't some of those elements potentially be the most expensive? And is there not some history (from what I read) of some JGCs having transmission problems?

Though, as Graygoose says, one would have to look at their maintenance requirements to see if it's truly worth it....

A great price is at least 5-6% below invoice BEFORE any incentives.
Can you clarify this comment? By "invoice," do you mean what the dealer pays? Or do you mean window sticker? I can't imagine any dealer would be willing to sell for less than what they paid?? What am I missing here?

Any info about whether leaky sunroofs are a common or uncommon issue?

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
Invoice is the reference price that the dealer pays...although that's not what they pay. It's less than "MSRP" which is somewhat irrelevant, IMHO, when it comes to negotiation.

While a powertrain failure could indeed be expensive, this generation of JGC does not have a history of significant power train failures. (engine/transmission/differential) It's the electronic systems that are more likely to bite you--these vehicles are computers on wheels--which is why the Mopar contract is good insurance for folks that have concerns and plan on holding the vehicle longer term. It covers "everything" except a very few number of items (wear items) and adds things like loaner/rental coverage, etc., which is something that is rare today from many dealers in many geographies.

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,666 Posts
For question #1 —

Keep in mind that the extended warranty, like all insurance policies, are priced such that they should make money for the seller. For every ‘so glad I got that warranty!’ story you see, statistically speaking there will be many more buyers who did not file a claim.

This is a statistical and mathematical truth. Otherwise, the seller would lose money. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but overall and on the whole it is true.

That said, sometimes you can’t put a dollar value on peace of mind. If something is worth it to you, then that’s that, it’s worth it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts