Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone ,

Just got my Overland High altitude Ecodiesel ( thats a mouthful )
i love the truck and happy to be a member here

Only thing i dont love is the stock tires . I want a beefer looking tire . Not knowing a lot about tires i could use some help here .

I dont want to lift my jeep . So looking for the best alternative with the factory air suspension . I live in canada so it needs to to ok for winter and most my miles are on the highway .

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
If you need to drive a lot in severe winter weather, you might want to check out
Nokian factory studded Hakka 8's--with the caution that they are easily the noisiest studded tire I've ever driven on, but you have to do something truly stupid to spin out with them.

Other than that, I would caution you that unless you've driven with very aggressive
treads, you might find the noise a tad on the overkill side if you drive a lot on the highway. They look cool, but are the automotive equivalent of putting playing cards on your bike to make noise on the spokes.

The Nokian WRG series and Michelin MS LTX [now premier i believe] are two of the best all around highway, cold weather, rain, moderate snow, and moderate duty off road tires out there. The Cooper Discoverer A/TW aint too shabby either and is nicely siped.

Head for Canadian Tire website and plug in your size, as there are two common ones, and see what they have.
The more aggressive ones would be
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
Goodyear Wrangler MTR [pricey, likely overkill]
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO series
BFGoodrich Mud Terrain
Hankook Dynapro MT

If those aren't aggressive enough, check out Mickey Thompson tires

General Grabber

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you . I live in calgary and its not that bad here so noo need rfor studs

the tire that caught my eye was the toyo open country . Also i see some running 275/55/20 . wondering if there is any downfall to that size ?
also see some doing 285/50/20 . I dont want anything overboard just s step up from the factory fonterras .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i hear ya

i also hear the 55 in a very tight fit . I rather not worry about clearance going over bumps etc ...

my only worry with the 285 is will the side of the jeep get marked up from stuff kicking up from the wider tire

·
Registered
101 Posts
i hear ya

i also hear the 55 in a very tight fit . I rather not worry about clearance going over bumps etc ...

my only worry with the 285 is will the side of the jeep get marked up from stuff kicking up from the wider tire
Yes 55 will be tight and have some issues if you lower it. I just lowered mine with SRT springs also.
I don't thing 285 will make too much difference as the stock wheels are way inside the fender. For me I don't care about that as I'm running 1.25" Bora spacers and will put the 285 and still going to be at leas flash with the fender.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 HEMI
23 Posts
Hello everyone ,

Just got my Overland High altitude Ecodiesel ( thats a mouthful )
i love the truck and happy to be a member here

Only thing i dont love is the stock tires . I want a beefer looking tire . Not knowing a lot about tires i could use some help here .

I dont want to lift my jeep . So looking for the best alternative with the factory air suspension . I live in canada so it needs to to ok for winter and most my miles are on the highway .
I’ve had Nitto Grappler G2, Falken Wildpeak AT, and Cooper ST Maxx on my GC. The Cooper ST Maxx were great but significantly heavier and more road noise. The Nitto G2 best Highway ride and still got me out of they mud, clay, and sand of Alabama and Mississippi. Currently have Falken Wild Peak AT and love them. Tread and traction is right between the 2 other tires. Love them

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,088 Posts
I’ve had Nitto Grappler G2, Falken Wildpeak AT, and Cooper ST Maxx on my GC. The Cooper ST Maxx were great but significantly heavier and more road noise. The Nitto G2 best Highway ride and still got me out of they mud, clay, and sand of Alabama and Mississippi. Currently have Falken Wild Peak AT and love them. Tread and traction is right between the 2 other tires. Love them
I also have the Falken Wildpeaks. I recommend them.

0000 Falken Wildpeak A:T 265:65R18 114T.png

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the 285/50-20 Nitto Tera Grappler G2's. They are basically an inch taller and an inch wider than the OEM 265/50-20's. I have a 2" RCX leveling kit, but they will fit at stock height.

wk13 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr

wk14 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr

1 - 16 of 16 Posts