Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G,day to all.
Not sure if I am doing this correct never really been to the forum thing before.
We have a 2001 Grand Cherokee from new and has been a great car.
Sadly for it we have ordered a new MY14 overlander due sometime in Australia between June and Xmas? 2013
Dealers in Aus are very vague to say the least on exactly we are going to get here???
One dealers offer was pay your deposit and when it arrives we will tell you how much we want? Be over $80k at least, his assistant told me 5.7lt not coming to Aus and new 8 speed gear box will be to weak for towing? I should buy the overlander on the floor now.
Needless to say I did not order from him.
Anyone have any comments on 8 speed being weak for towing? I don,t believe Jeep would put it in the car if it would not perform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found some details on ZF 8HP gearbox.
Sounds like it can handle the torque easy enough.
Quoted from wiki. Note 2nd paragraph designed for Chrysler.
One of its main aims is to improve vehicle fuel economy, and it can achieve an 11% saving compared to ZF-6 speed transmission and 14% versus modern 5-speed transmissions.[2][3] Due to changes in internal design, shift times have reduced to 200*milliseconds, along with the ability to shift in a non-sequential manner - going from 8th to 2nd in extreme situations.[4] In the 8HP70 version, it has a torque handling limit of 700 newton metres (516*lbf·ft), and weighs 90 kilograms (198*lb).[5]

Future development will see two four-wheel drive versions available, with version destined for Volkswagen Group applications, using a Torsen centre differential.[5] It will be able to encompass a torque range from 300 newton metres (221*lbf·ft) to 1,000 newton metres (738*lbf·ft), and will be available for use in middle class cars, through to large luxury sport utility vehicles.[5]

·
The Negotiator
5,350 Posts
Welcome to JeepGarage!! The V6 will tow 6200lbs and the V8 will tow 7200lbs. Everything depends on how often you will be towing, how much, and how much gas mileage is a concern for you. Check out the Export thread in the WK2 section of the forums for answers to your questions on this as there are many people from Aust. that are looking to order one.

·
Chief Mediator
Jeep
12,062 Posts
:) Hello! Welcome to Jeep Garage :)

Check out the WK2 section for more info than you could possibly need on the 14's. And yes the 14's have been out on the streets here in the states for a short bit now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts