Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello (again) all! I would like to give a big thank you to the knowledgeable members who helped me in my "2018 vs 2019 Trailhawk" thread! That helped me feel confident about moving forward with this one.

This is my second Grand Cherokee. I owned a '98 5.9 Limited ZJ for about ~6 years or so, bought it in early 2012 on eBay when I accidentally won the auction just screwing around. Threw in a lowball offer which was accepted and 2 days later my buddy and I were trekking across the state to pick it up. I loved that thing, despite needing literally every single part of the steering and suspension replaced as soon as I got it (It's a ZJ thing). I lived in Western PA at the time, and it was the best damn winter vehicle I ever had, period. With I-Pikes on it, it never got stuck. Ever. Not even close. Before I moved to Texas I ended up selling it thinking I would never need something like that again, but I guess I was wrong.

I had purchased a brand new Kia Stinger GT2 in December of 2019 when I had to drive clear across the state multiple times a month. The Stinger was the best road trip/touring vehicle I have ever owned, hands down. It looks fantastic, it has more than enough power with the TT V6, and it was endlessly comfortable. A few months after buying it, COVID happened and I'm work from home permanently now.. so of course the need for a GT car went way down. My girlfriend has a Renegade Trailhawk, which is fine enough, but I really wanted something we could take out to the less-traveled parts of the state, and get there in comfort (something a Renegade is simply not capable of. It's also woefully underpowered and buzzy to the point of seeming like a hateful joke).

On a whim I started looking for trucks or SUVs again a few months ago and while browsing Autotrader, a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk caught my eye. I never even knew they made one, because I'm fairly sure I would remember seeing one out in the wild. Found out you could get it with the Hemi and I was sold. I knew I wanted the V8, the luxury package, and the safety group so it took some searching to find the right one. Finally found this one through Carmax and it was everything I wanted with just 15k on the clock.. but it was out in SLC Utah. Paid them a handsome amount to have it shipped out here and when it arrived, I loved it. Took full advantage of the insane used car market and positive equity on the Stinger and traded it in on the GC.

Took it home today and I'm very pleased with it, it's exactly what I was hoping for. New tires and tint will be on the way, but outside of that, there's not much I really care to do to it. I thought about putting the Trailhawk hood decal back on (dunno where it went), but I think I'll leave it off. The red tow hooks seem to contrast enough against the blue that it already stands out enough. Been reading lots here on the forum and you seem to have a good group of people here!

I still need to do a thorough detail, but here it is washed up. Is there anyone else on here with this color of TH?

·
Registered
JGC
446 Posts
Looks great! Leave the hood decal off. Get some Toyo AT3's or Falken Wildpeak AT3's and it will look even better. Recommend going up to the 265/65R18's from stock ... really changes the look of the JGC and the extra 1/2" of ground clearance is nice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone! :) Spent a while detailing it today. I don't think this thing ever saw anything other than an automatic car wash it's entire life. Lots of dirt and road grime in all the small crevices around the Jeep, lots of swirl/marks in the paint. A solid paint correction would get it perfect again. Oh well, it's in better hands now!

Reactions: THAZ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got new tires on the Jeep yesterday - went with Continental TerrainContact A/Ts. Very happy with the tire. Very little road noise and significantly better road manners than the garbage store-brand Sumotomo imprints that Carmax put on it.

I went for an alignment today since the steering wheel has been off-center and there was a slight pull. I did not want to risk burning up a brand new set of tires due to a bad alignment. Found a great (somewhat) local shop who got me squared away. Everything is perfectly straight and on-target.

Did tint this morning as well. 25% 3M Ceramic IR on the front windows and eyebrow/visor. I'm a huge fan of 3M tint and I think it looks great. I'll have to break out the tint meter once I can roll the windows down and see what the VLT comes out to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts