Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GC Limited Sterling 5.7L Hemi v8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a CPO 2018 Sterling 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. It is an absolute beast and I love it.
However, I am extremely perplexed with two things that I can't wrap my head around.

1) The online sales ad stated that the vehicle has "Auto-Dimming Mirror". There was no mention of anything in regards to dimming on the actual vehicle sticker that listed all features. I see what looks like a "power button" dead center of my rear-view. I am not sure what this is supposed to do. The thing I noticed is that there is no "Mirror Dimmer" option within the UI where it would usually appear under Controls. I know this because my Fiance owns a 2011 and it's in the UI as well as a physical button on the rear-view. Was the website ad wrong? Does pressing that middle button manually toggle just the rear-view on and off dimming? Did they remove it from the UI? Why isn't it there. Someone please help me figure this out!

2) The comfort features. I set it to activate on both remote start and manual start. However, the heated seat and steering wheel never are retained in memory. They are both on when I turn off the car. Simply comfort fails to activate. Is there a "save button" anywhere? This happens when it is 27 degrees F outside and 35 in the car. How do I get low seat heat and steering wheel heater to activate like it should when the comfort feature is already enabled.

Appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,648 Posts
Whats "Sterling"? Never heard it used in front of the Jeep name? Was it the Dealership or place you got it?

Have you reviewed your Owners Manual on these features? If you don't have one in the glove box (they stop putting them in the glove boxes since no one read them) you can download an electronic copy from the Jeep website.

The Auto-Dimming Rear View mirror: you are correct, there is a button in the center of the mirror that turns it on and off. I have my doubts the button does anything, but the Rear View mirror does seem to work, not sure how, but it will darken and reduce the reflection from the headlights behind you at night, so there is less glare while you drive. Its subtle enough you might not notice, but if you pay attention, you notice the cases that mirror seems darker and there are bright headlamps behind you, thus stopping any glare back into your eyes...... ....I'm sure the button actually works, its more the mirror is so subtle, you can notice anything when you press it.... ....I'll try to remember to try to turn it off when someone is behind me with bright lights.....

Sorry, don't have the comfort feature, so I can't advise you. When I do remote start, it does start the HVAC in different modes than when I left it. It also seems to use the temp sensor to change what it does while it warms up during a remote start. Winter, it runs defrost front and rear, on full heat, turns on the driver side seat heaters (I think if I had passenger when I last shutdown, it will turn on the passenger seat heater, if not, then just the drivers seat heater). In summer it runs the AC on high out of the dash panel vents. When I get in and press the start button, then everything comes on and the HVAC reset back to what I had in when I shut-it down last. In winter the seat heaters will stay on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sterling is the 2018 "25 Anniversary Edition" of the JGC. It's just a gimmick because it just adds the lights, audio, and some other package.

Have you reviewed your Owners Manual on these features?
Yes can't find any reference of Mirror Dimmer in there. However, pics from inside the owner manual show that it is there.

I'm hearing mixed things from other people. Some say the 2018s don't have it in the UI. Some say that it depends on the radio size for the year.
Extremely lost :(

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
If your RV mirror has 3 buttons on it then it has auto dimming with the center button enabling or disabling the feature.
On my '18 GC Owner's manual its on page 68.
It is somewhat hard to find in the manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your RV mirror has 3 buttons on it then it has auto dimming with the center button enabling or disabling the feature.
On my '18 GC Owner's manual its on page 68.
It is somewhat hard to find in the manual.
Correct. However , every GC I have sat in also has the option inside the radio listed under controls or hiding in the uconnect app area. My head unit fails to show this “mirror dimming” option inside the head unit.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
130 Posts
Correct. However , every GC I have sat in also has the option inside the radio listed under controls or hiding in the uconnect app area. My head unit fails to show this “mirror dimming” option inside the head unit.
It is the same in my 2017, just the power button on the rear-view mirror. I know some Chrysler and Ram models have it on the menu with heated seats, but not the Grand Cherokee. The comfort features activate for me, but only when it is really cold, nothing above 40F.

The mirrors have a distinct tint and you will know it is on.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
For debugging the auto-on comfort, make sure you don't have settings-linked-to-fob enabled..

skimming the set of owner's manuals, it looks like the mirror setting on the touch screen vanished for MY2017.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sat in a 2017 and 2018 limited at the dealership and both had the dim mirror available in the uconnect. I am convinced something is off.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,648 Posts
Sterling is the 2018 "25 Anniversary Edition" of the JGC. It's just a gimmick because it just adds the lights, audio, and some other package.
Ahhh, Thanks...

I have a 75th Anniversary edition....
The Bronze Paint, maybe a gimmick, its unique and a lot of folks including me like it....
The Trail Rated Badges, despite missing most of the trail rated equipment, definitely gimmick....
The HEMI, QTII drivestrain, Premium Sound and HVAC with Leather Interior and Steering Wheel in a Laredo, not a gimmick, a huge value for a very nice WK2.....

Uconnect head units with vehicle controls weren't even available to first several years of WK2's, there are many without this feature.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts