Discussion Starter #1
Status
Incomplete
Recall Date
November 14, 2019
FCA Recall # V62
NHTSA Recall #19V-813
Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk
A fuel pump relay failure can result in a stall condition if the vehicle is running or a no-start condition if not running. A vehicle stall while driving can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
Repair Description
FCA US will conduct a Voluntary Safety Recall on affected vehicles. The remedy is currently under development
Recall Status
Incomplete but repair parts are not available

Hope this fixes my stall on start / stall while driving

·
Registered
61 Posts
Isn't this just another "fix" from the external fuel pump relay they installed a couple yrs back on another recall? I had the recall done on my 11 and 12 overland 5.7s and both had more issues after the recall. As of right now I'll avoid letting Jeep splice into my main harness again. Jeeps first fix was a hack job at best.

·
Registered
2013 Grand Cherokee
31 Posts
The relay they installed in my wife's Jeep failed a couple of years ago. Bench testing showed it occasionally wouldn't work. I ended up getting a replacement and swapping it out. While I was in there, I cleaned up the hack job they did in the PDC. Wasn't too hard to make it look semi-professional with some solder and heat shrink.

I wonder if this is just a relay swap or if they plan on hacking into the PDC again to splice in a different relay and harness.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wanting a real solution and happy another recall is been issued. Had the relay recall done, 10 minutes after i picked up the Jeep from the dealer I had a stall occur while driving.

That was 2 years ago, I'm still living with the danger of a stall while turning in front of traffic. I can live with the stall on start, happens weekly to me.

I've read all the "so called" fixes, spark plugs, another relay, motion sensors, low tire pressure all bogus for my situation

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm wanting a real solution and happy another recall is been issued. Had the relay recall done, 10 minutes after i picked up the Jeep from the dealer I had a stall occur while driving.

That was 2 years ago, I'm still living with the danger of a stall while turning in front of traffic. I can live with the stall on start, happens weekly to me.

I've read all the "so called" fixes, spark plugs, another relay, motion sensors, low tire pressure all bogus for my situation
I definitely agree with you jeep needs to fix this but not with a hack job of a solution. I had the same stalling issues. Long story short a win module and fobs took care of it. 5k miles and no stalls on my 12 ovlernad 5.7. My fob batteries died monthly

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely agree with you jeep needs to fix this but not with a hack job of a solution. I had the same stalling issues. Long story short a win module and fobs took care of it. 5k miles and no stalls on my 12 ovlernad 5.7. My fob batteries died monthly
What is a win module?

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is bogus. Last I checked we were still dealing with this all the way up to the 2018 models at least......

Wasn't this tossed out back then as well? Why are they jist now getting to this issue, for those model years (the one that were tossed out by our wonderful saftey overseeres)

Seriously, a proper fix would be a new TIPM with the relay located up top where it should have been i the first place. Pretty sire that's a few major model refreshed away thougj.......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those that said changing spark plugs fixed the stall on start, well not for me, changed all 16 with Mopar brand specific part number to my engine. Had a stall on start the next day after changing the plugs.

Working a new theory that the fuel pump needs to be on for a few seconds before starting the motor. Current test is to press the button twice to put into run mode, wait for the dash to clear some of the warning icons then foot on brake press start button to fire up the motor. Two days into the test so far no stall on starts, test gets at least 5 times per day

·
Registered
76 Posts
What a JOKE!!! A recall for the recall. And this isn't the first time a recall failed. I remember they recalled the sun visor recall. Regarding the fuel pump relay, my vehicle has died on me twice in the past 3 months under moderate to heavy braking. First time I took it to the dealer and even told them maybe the fuel pump relay fix failed. They told me it was fine. Car died again on me about a week and a half ago. I'm almost positive this is the culprit! If the Jeep wasn't paid off and I didn't have a lifetime warranty, I would most certainly get rid of it. At this point I'm starting to think a new car payment is worth my family's safety, especially given a fix is probably weeks if not months away. Again Chrysler - WHAT A JOKE!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Taws600 couldn't agree with you more. Mine also is paid for, we take the wife's car when the family travels can't chance a stall in traffic with them onboard

·
Registered
76 Posts
I doubt the higher ups read this stuff. They do hire a social media team to monitor. User name JeepCares will often jump in and say to PM them for assistance. I actually did PM them for assistance and all they told me was to continue working with my dealer. Yea the same dealer that told me my car is fine. The dealer said they have to wait for the engineering team to provide a fix and parts. Yea the same engineering team that couldn’t even get the first recall right. You see where I’m going - NOWHERE!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm, nowhere with ya. Dealers are useless, if it ain't in the service book or TSB they won't think outside the box for a solution

·
Registered
296 Posts
Same deal. Cant tell you how many times this has almost killed me. Have it down to a science now how to recover before I get rear ended. # times with a semi behind me coming off the highway to work. Jeep care i useless and insulting at this point. Take so much of your time to write up an "inquiry" . Dealer always says "Oh I never heard of this before, very interesting". Such a joke.
Mine never stalls idiling or any issues with starts after TIPM board replaced. I biught spare relays incase I am on the road somehwere and it just cranks. Dont want to be stuck because of a 5 dollar relay.
I have the lifetime warranty. Would love to buy a new summit but cant justify these trucks now over 50K. Also loading the build your own I dont even think I can get the summit with the hemi now. Not giving it to me as an option on the website.

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
Also loading the build your own I dont even think I can get the summit with the hemi now. Not giving it to me as an option on the website.
The option is there...in build, scroll down to drive trains and click on the plus sign in front of the V8. Summit with Hemi with the current "employee pricing" promotion is right at $50K less any additional you can negotiate, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This may be old news to some, new to me about a lawsuit, https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/chrysler-dodge-jeep-tipm-lawsuit.shtml

"As part of the settlement agreement, Chrysler acknowledges that finalization of the terms of the agreement is based on a voluntary recall of 2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs to install a stronger pump relay external to the TIPM-7. The recall is based on findings the SUVs can experience failures in the fuel pump relay within the TIPM-7 that could result in a stall condition or the inability to start the SUVs."

From a Chysler source, they are putting in 70amp relays, the first recall Chrysler put in 30amp relays. I'm going to pull my omron relay put in from the first recall and see if it has an amp rating

·
Registered
296 Posts
The option is there...in build, scroll down to drive trains and click on the plus sign in front of the V8. Summit with Hemi with the current "employee pricing" promotion is right at $50K less any additional you can negotiate, etc.
Going to have to try again. I am familiar with the sub menus. On the summit when I tried it didnt offer a sub menu. Thought that was really weird. maybe a glitch on the ipad.

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
I literally had it open in another browser window to check on it for you. Worked fine. Selected Summit 4x4 and then scrolled down to powertrains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here, trying to comprehend how a company would let people drive these cars when they could stop at any time. Not sure if I'm overreacting but I did find this link to their employee "call referral" powerpoint. Funny how they would tell people that there is nothing that can be done. car has been good, had to replace steering pump and now i'm noticing PS fluid is below min. Had valvoline top it up but they used wrong stuff so now i gotta get it flushed. And now Im thinking it may be some time before a worthy fix (cant believe this is a recall on a recall) and I havent even owed it for a year. Any advice helps, i feel robbed!

"Customer verbiage" = how to get us off the phone asap

1 - 20 of 23 Posts