Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don’t have a GC yet, but my wife and I are likely going to pick one up soon. I’m new to this platform, but I’m a car guy and somewhat handy under the hood... I’m just doing some snooping and research in the wk2 platform. All we need is the 5.7 and the tow package.
We’re planning on towing the m3 and bring our two german shepherds.
I track an m3 and I have a solid axle Nissan Frontier for off-roading (pics for attention)

We test drove a 5.7 the other night and really liked it. I'm already looking for a few basic mods- afe intake and flowmaster catback. Other than that, i think i'll leave it alone. i might have to put the truck on a sawzall diet, but the 5.7 will tow the m3 no problem. i'm looking forward to sticking around and posting some DIY stuff (DIY content seems to be lacking somewhat around here).
I spend a lot of time on forums and the local car scene. looking forward to becoming an owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
229 Posts
Welcome. I've owned a '18 V6 and now a '19 V8 so if you have any questions let me know. V8 is by far the better choice from a motor/transmission IMO and the V8 barely loses out on mpg plus I hated the V6 tranny.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! one of the things i'm sort of thinking about is if the class 4 hitch could have been ordered without the tow package... if i'm going to be towing, i definitely want the oil/trans coolers. i just don't want to get one with the hitch and not the coolers.
i suppose i could just look for the coolers, but sometimes they aren't easy to find- i'm not familiar with this platform at all.
i was pretty impressed with how much power it had (i'm sure the 8 speed has something to do with it). we also test drove a porsche cayenne gts and we were pretty underwhelmed with the power even though it was rated to tow 7,700 lbs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would check the Jeep website but I don't think you can order the class IV without the tow package. Wouldn't make sense from a safety standpoint if a customer bought a vehicle thinking they could tow due to a hitch being present but then no trailer connections and their trans overheats because of insufficient cooling. Bad press for Jeep.
ZF trans in the V8 is definitely awesome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just picked it up. It’s the trail hawk trim. How easy is the hood sticker to remove? I’m thinking it won’t age well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nice! And the hood stickers are actually functional (reduces glare per Jeep) but I'm sure with some heat and elbow grease you might be able to remove them but of course they are meant to be relatively heat resistant so good luck...btw those costs about $200-300 so be sure you want to remove it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! And the hood stickers are actually functional (reduces glare per Jeep) but I'm sure with some heat and elbow grease you might be able to remove them but of course they are meant to be relatively heat resistant so good luck...btw those costs about $200-300 so be sure you want to remove it.
I may keep the sticker... depends on how well it cleans up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i also decided on the hooker blackheart exhaust and an afe intake. they both seem to be the best quality available. i'll also be looking at led reverse lights and higher quality replacement headlight bulbs.
where do you guys typically go for oem parts online? there is a scuff on a plastic wheel arch that looks cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Pretty sure Corsa is the main exhaust for most WK2 Hemi owners but to each their own.
I just Google the part # and there's always plenty of legit companies that pop up, even Amazon. My local dealer prices matches most parts within reason so I tend to order through them.

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
You want Factory Towing which is standard on most upper trims that are 4x4.

There are lots of discussions about the things you are interested in in the WK2 forum area and it's associated sub-forums.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks! i found a ton of good info already.

as for exhausts, the corsa looks nice, but i think i like the sound of the flowmaster a little better. this is my wife's truck, so i'm trying to keep it relatively tame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts