Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new '19 GC Limited to the dealer this morning for the "We Owe" factory hitch and wiring. I was told when I bought it that the hitch and harness were in stock. After farting around 3 1/2 hours putting the receiver hitch on they service rep told me that I would have to leave it or come back in a day or two because they could not install the wiring harness until they put in a new TIPM. She said the TIPM in my new car did not have a place to plug in the hitch wiring. Anyone know if that is true?

They gave me a rental car (I live 45 miles from the dealership) and I left...hoping that she was correct when she told me the TIPM would come in on the truck tomorrow morning. I was so upset that I did not think to ask if I was going to be expected to pay for a new TIPM.

I may make the evening news tomorrow night.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
Most WK2's have the tow hitch wire harness already installed from the factory. I remember someone posted their was a single M/Y they did not do this, perhaps it was the 2019 M/Y.....

The instructions for the tow hitch wire harness have drawings and instructions showing how you install the wires into several open slots in the existing connectors to the TIPM, and one is parallel spliced to an existing wire from a connector to the PCM.... ...but this was for earlier M/Y that I looked at the instructions for....

You could download the instructions for the tow hitch wire harness and check for yourself and see if they talk about having to swap out TIPM's....

I got the impression there was only 1 TIPM for the WK2, that has changed over the M/Y's... ...its configured by the dealer tools for different options.... ...there isn't a 2nd TIPM for certain options.... ...but I could be wrong on that...

What's a "we owe" factory tow hitch and wiring? The factory tow hitch is the Mopar Accessory Tow Hitch, the factory tow hitch wiring would be an entire wire harness change that would take some tearing apart of the interior... ...the Mopar Accessory Tow Hitch wiring would be a kit that adds just the tow wire wiring to the existing wiring via how I described earlier....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's a "we owe" factory tow hitch and wiring? The factory tow hitch is the Mopar Accessory Tow Hitch, the factory tow hitch wiring would be an entire wire harness change that would take some tearing apart of the interior... ...the Mopar Accessory Tow Hitch wiring would be a kit that adds just the tow wire wiring to the existing wiring via how I described earlier....
A "We Owe" is the piece of paper the dealer gives you when you sign the contract on a new car where the dealer has obligated to install something or provide an accessory after the sale as part of the deal. I negotiated the price of the car with a factory tow hitch installed and the dealer gave me a piece of paper saying "We Owe" you an installed factory tow hitch.

I am not a mechanic but I too thought there was only one TIPM per model year. I guess we will find out in a day or two. I certainly don't have the ammunition to argue with them.

·
Registered
cattle
1,245 Posts
If they really need to put in a different TIPM makes one wonder if the reason for that period of time when some didn't have the factory wiring was because they changed, either on purpose or by mistake, to a different TIPM and they literally could not put that harness on as a result.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Whatever they are missing from the "kit" they had in stock appears to be Part "C" in this wiring harness installation instructions for a 2019. It, in fact, looks like a TIPM. Not much written description but it does look like a TIPM on the parts picture on page 1 where is says "PROVIDED WITH 3.6L ONLY" and down on page 10 where they show Part C and all of the connectors.

·
Registered
cattle
1,245 Posts
Whatever they are missing from the "kit" they had in stock appears to be Part "C" in this wiring harness installation instructions for a 2019. It, in fact, looks like a TIPM. Not much written description but it does look like a TIPM on the parts picture on page 1 where is says "PROVIDED WITH 3.6L ONLY" and down on page 10 where they show Part C and all of the connectors.

SUre does. Perhaps the kit they had in stock was for a V8 and that's why it didn't have the "part C" TIPM

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Just to make it easier for people searching, it is a PDC and not a TIPM (TIPM went away for MY2014).

Note that without factory tow (which cannot be dealer-installed), you are limited to 3500lb trailer weight.

I'm really tired of dealers that say they can install factory tow on these vehicles just to make the sale.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
Most WK2's have the tow hitch wire harness already installed from the factory. I remember someone posted their was a single M/Y they did not do this, perhaps it was the 2019 M/Y.....
Jeep removed the wiring from the Laredo and variants mid-MY18 and apparently extended that practice to some Limiteds in MY19 judging by previous posts. This is the first I've seen that I'm aware of that the TIPM is also involved, however.

Tom is correct that towing capacity is limited when the dealer installed a hitch receiver in lieu of having factory tow on the vehicle. Factory Tow isn't just a hitch receiver and wiring for lights, etc....it's also changes to suspension, electrical and cooling, the content of which changes depending on the trim level, engine choice and model year.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just to make it easier for people searching, it is a PDC and not a TIPM (TIPM went away for MY2014).

Note that without factory tow (which cannot be dealer-installed), you are limited to 3500lb trailer weight.
Yep...I know they cannot install the tow package.....just the factory tow hitch and light plugs. It is funny though that on the Jeep Owners site the page for my new 2019 says the max towing is 6200 lb.:

2019 JEEP Grand Cherokee
VIN xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Connected Services

SiriusXM Guardian™ Active

Mileage

2 miles on 05/31/2019

Transmission Summary

8-Speed Automatic 850RE Transmission

Max Towing

6200 lb (2812.27 kg)

And the Sales Code Equipment List FCA sent me lists "NHAP Engine Oil Cooler". I thought the engine oil cooler was part of the Tow Package but I guess maybe that is standard equipment on all of them.

Anyway, I don't plan to tow anything heavy but I won't be afraid to drag a 16 ft. boat to the lake with it :cool:........if I ever get working trailer light plugs :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just to make it easier for people searching, it is a PDC and not a TIPM (TIPM went away for MY2014)
And.....what is PDC the abbreviation for.......Geez, was just getting used to remembering what TIPM was.

Oh....I found it I think.......Power Distribution Center......okay...I get it.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Yep...I know they cannot install the tow package.....just the factory tow hitch and light plugs. It is funny though that on the Jeep Owners site the page for my new 2019 says the max towing is 6200 lb.:
Check your owner's manual, posted above.
And the Sales Code Equipment List FCA sent me lists "NHAP Engine Oil Cooler". I thought the engine oil cooler was part of the Tow Package but I guess maybe that is standard equipment on all of them.
All 3.6L V6 get an oil cooler. HD Engine Cooling is probably a code like NMCP (don't know the exact 2019 codes)

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
It is funny though that on the Jeep Owners site the page for my new 2019 says the max towing is 6200 lb.
That is only with the factory tow option...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
Yep that is different than the earlier kits..... ....and no I did not know they got rid of the TIPM and went with a PDC in the later M/Y's..... ...and the instructions do prove the Dealer isn't giving you the run-around, they do have to replace the PDC... ...why they are calling a TIPM when it was changed to a PDC? I hope it was an absent minded habit, that they were got used to the TIPM from earlier M/Y's, and not that they don't know the difference, some of the crap we see from dealerships, it wouldn't surprise me......
And.....what is PDC the abbreviation for.......Geez, was just getting used to remembering what TIPM was.
Oh....I found it I think.......Power Distribution Center......okay...I get it.
Models before the WK2 had PDC's and it does stand for Power Distribution Center.....
The difference, I "think", the TIPM had circuit boards and was an electronic module in itself that relays plug directly into the electronics module, and some relays were soldered on the circuit boards..... .....while before the PDC was nothing more than a glorified fuse and relay box, with an electronic module clipped on it, I think in my XK it was called the FBCM, Front Body Control Module, the wire harness made the connections between the module and the relay fuses....

After all the trouble they had with the TIPM perhaps they went back to a PDC like before, which makes me wonder if there is some sort of central gateway module somewhere? The instructions do show connections to a module behind the glovebox, that might be the Module for a central gateway, but I'm sure its called a different name though...

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,136 Posts
The module behind the glove box is the body control module. My guess is harness D is the trigger harness from the BCM to the PDC and then harness A is obviously the feed harness for the trailer.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
A "We Owe" is the piece of paper the dealer gives you when you sign the contract on a new car where the dealer has obligated to install something or provide an accessory after the sale as part of the deal. I negotiated the price of the car with a factory tow hitch installed and the dealer gave me a piece of paper saying "We Owe" you an installed factory tow hitch.

I am not a mechanic but I too thought there was only one TIPM per model year. I guess we will find out in a day or two. I certainly don't have the ammunition to argue with them.
I hope they explained to you that the Option for the Tow Preparation Package is a lot more than just a Tow Hitch and Wiring, that all they are doing is adding the Mopar Accessory Tow Hitch (which is the same as the Factory Tow Hitch) and Mopar Accessory Wiring Kit (which is essentially the same as the factory wiring, except instead of being machine assembled, it has a splice and hand assembled contacts in the connector, if the tech is sloppy, there's a slim chance you could have problems with the connection years down the road, a risk of it, not a guarantee of it).... ....your rated Tow Capacity is the same as the vehicle without the Tow Prep Package option, because you don't have the Tow Prep Package that upgrades engine cooling (radiator and fan), alternator capacity, full sized spare (the compact spare will be dangerous to use if you're towing a heavy load), if you have the non-QL suspension it will include a rear load leveling suspension (which isn't necessary to Tow, its just a convenience) and more depending on your M/Y...

This is fine if you don't need to Tow more than what the O.M. states is the Max Tow Capacity without the Tow Prep Package, it has changed over the M/Y, but most often its 3500 lbs, might be different for your M/Y, but if you were intending to Tow up to the Max Capacity of, I "think", 6200 lbs, you need the Tow Prep Package.....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
The module behind the glove box is the body control module. My guess is harness D is the trigger harness from the BCM to the PDC and then harness A is obviously the feed harness for the trailer.
I can't find a BCM for the pre-2014 WK2, I think the TIPM does all the BCM functions....
...if I remember right, my previous generation XK the FBCM did all the BCM functions also, it was just clipped on the PDC under the hood and not inside the cabin...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, they got it all installed today......and no extra charges because the PDC was supposed to be part of the kit. It was the service writer who mistakenly called it a TIPM. The service tech who installed it knew it was a PDC. He assured me he tested it and updated the sales codes. I used my little cheap RV plug tester out in the parking lot and I had turn signals and tail lights. Couldn't check the brake lights but I will do that this evening with the wife's help.

Yeh, I'm aware that I won't be able to pull any large loads. The most I will be towing is a 16 ft. fishing boat....but will mainly be used to hook my garbage can over the ball and tow it 1/4 mile to the road and back on Mondays.

I really appreciate your input and knowledge Mongo53....and the other guys that chimed in. I'm glad this is over with and it's back in the driveway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did the dealer also install or give you the pigtail to install an electric trailer brake unit? My 2015 Laredo with towing package came with the pigtail in the glove box with instructions on how to hook it up.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
Did the dealer also install or give you the pigtail to install an electric trailer brake unit? My 2015 Laredo with towing package came with the pigtail in the glove box with instructions on how to hook it up.
The earlier kits didn't have a pigtail, perhaps later kits did... ....a lot of the brake controllers have an accessory that is an adapter pig tail to connect to the vehicle wiring if the vehicle is equipped with the wiring.... ...I don't remember the wiring kit having a connector for the brakes, but I could be wrong and it could different for later years, also it could be part of the standard harness and in all WK2's.... I haven't looked for mine, but it should at least be in every vehicle that comes with a tow wire harness installed at the factory, which is most of them...

Remember, these Mopar Accessory Hitch Kits and Tow Wiring Kits are NOT a Tow Prep Package, the Factory Option for the Tow Prep Package includes a lot of things to protect the vehicle from the stresses of towing a heavy load... the Mopar Accessories only give you a hitch and wiring, and does not provide any additional tow capacity over the basic, 3500lb sometimes more in different M/Y's.... ...so I don't think you get a brake pigtail..

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,136 Posts
Remember, these Mopar Accessory Hitch Kits and Tow Wiring Kits are NOT a Tow Prep Package, the Factory Option for the Tow Prep Package includes a lot of things to protect the vehicle from the stresses of towing a heavy load... the Mopar Accessories only give you a hitch and wiring, and does not provide any additional tow capacity over the basic, 3500lb sometimes more in different M/Y's.... ...so I don't think you get a brake pigtail..
2014+ 5.7/3.0 get a 5,000 pound rating. I'd want brakes. Also if the axle is equipped with brakes regardless of load you need to have the brake controller wired and working. The trailer can be rated for 7,000 pounds but you can limit yourself to 3,000....again I stress, towing is common sense based.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts