Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 JeepGCOverland 5.7 Hemi. 110,000 miles, original plugs. Runs perfect. at 60mph on ECO, 24.6 mpg. At 65mph 22.3 mpg.

I am a bit uneasy about spark plugs. Should I change them? Runs great. $500 seems a bit high for replacement. I can do myself, but is there danger of breaking off due to high mileage and age?
Should I use iridium? Can I get another 100k on new plugs? This vehicle has run trouble free for 110,000 miles. Use 87 octane with no ping or problems. Seems no need for 89.
Just clayed and waxed and detailed. Looks new. Great vehicle.

What are some of the problems I might be faced with heading to 150,000 miles?

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
The plugs on your MY13 were supposed to be changed every 32K miles. So yes, you need to change them and you need to use the specific plugs the manufacturer specifies. The 100K interval didn't come until MY14. The maintenance schedule for your JGC is in your manual. If you don't have the physical book, you can get a PDF online.

I never ran anything other than 87 octane in my MY12 Hemi JGC.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
599 Posts
You've gone 110k without doing the spark plugs?? They should've been done 3 times by now. And no, don't use iridium. I always ran 89 in my 2012 Hemi, but I'm just anal about that stuff.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,792 Posts
How do you know it has the original plugs? Although there has been many posts of folks going well past the 32k mile recommended change interval without problems, I have tough time belieiving you have no problems with a vehicle that is 3 times past the change interval on plugs...... ....I'd be more suspicious the previous owner changed the plugs and never made any record of it.....

Rough idle, lower fuel mileage and sluggish engine response comes from bad plugs. Misfires and even knock/ping/detonation can come from worn out spark plugs.... ....if you had misfires, you'd have a Check Engine Light and stored codes for it..... ...doesn't sound like you have any of those symptoms. but I would change the plugs just to be on the safe side.... ...no I would never pay a dealer $500 to change spark plugs, what a joke....

You can change them yourself for $50 worth of plugs, $90 if you want to go to the long life iridium..... ....that leaves over $410-$450 bucks to buy tens of dollars worth of tools you might need, if you don't already have them.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2013 JeepGCOverland 5.7 Hemi. 110,000 miles, original plugs. Runs perfect. at 60mph on ECO, 24.6 mpg. At 65mph 22.3 mpg.

I am a bit uneasy about spark plugs. Should I change them? Runs great. $500 seems a bit high for replacement. I can do myself, but is there danger of breaking off due to high mileage and age?
Should I use iridium? Can I get another 100k on new plugs? This vehicle has run trouble free for 110,000 miles. Use 87 octane with no ping or problems. Seems no need for 89.
Just clayed and waxed and detailed. Looks new. Great vehicle.

What are some of the problems I might be faced with heading to 150,000 miles?
The plugs on your MY13 were supposed to be changed every 32K miles. So yes, you need to change them and you need to use the specific plugs the manufacturer specifies. The 100K interval didn't come until MY14. The maintenance schedule for your JGC is in your manual. If you don't have the physical book, you can get a PDF online.

I never ran anything other than 87 octane in my MY12 Hemi JGC.
How do you know it has the original plugs? Although there has been many posts of folks going well past the 32k mile recommended change interval without problems, I have tough time belieiving you have no problems with a vehicle that is 3 times past the change interval on plugs...... ....I'd be more suspicious the previous owner changed the plugs and never made any record of it.....

Rough idle, lower fuel mileage and sluggish engine response comes from bad plugs. Misfires and even knock/ping/detonation can come from worn out spark plugs.... ....if you had misfires, you'd have a Check Engine Light and stored codes for it..... ...doesn't sound like you have any of those symptoms. but I would change the plugs just to be on the safe side.... ...no I would never pay a dealer $500 to change spark plugs, what a joke....

You can change them yourself for $50 worth of plugs, $90 if you want to go to the long life iridium..... ....that leaves over $410-$450 bucks to buy tens of dollars worth of tools you might need, if you don't already have them.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mongo. I bought the vehicle new from dealer on a lease basis in May of 2013. I liked it so much I bought it out. 110k miles and no problems. Runs smooth. Smooth idle. Gas mileage is same. 23 on road at 65mph. power is same. No miss. No ping on 87 octane. I guess I should change on general principle. I'm just afraid if they are in too long, they will freeze.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very surprised you get that kind of gas mileage. I have a '13 with the Hemi and am lucky to get 22 on the highway. And it's like 12-13mpg in town. And I've replaced my plugs and have just under 100K miles. Do like the car though. The idle is super-smooth - better than my wife's Audi! I don't feel a thing vibration wise at a stop light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very surprised you get that kind of gas mileage. I have a '13 with the Hemi and am lucky to get 22 on the highway. And it's like 12-13mpg in town. And I've replaced my plugs and have just under 100K miles. Do like the car though. The idle is super-smooth - better than my wife's Audi! I don't feel a thing vibration wise at a stop light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts