Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I should have joined this forum long ago, but got by without it.

I miss my commander already, but it was time to let it go....

May need some information on some upgrades. Trying to install an OEM hitch on my 2013 Grand Cherokee and it seems I'm missing the factory wiring for the lights. Not really seeing that portion of the wiring online anywhere. Any ideas on where I can get that missing piece of wiring?

Thanks!

Registered
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Super Moderator
There should be a pigtail up behind the rear bumper to plug in the OEM 4/7 pin connectors that mount to the OEM hitch receiver. In that time period, the front to back wiring harness was installed at the factory, even without Factory Towing. Please note that adding the hitch receiver and wiring does NOT change the towing weight limits for your vehicle from the non-Factory Tow limit. Factory Tow is much more than a hitch and wiring...electrical, suspension and cooling are all additional pieces of the factory towing option.

Reactions: MacDaddy

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
There should be a pigtail up behind the rear bumper to plug in the OEM 4/7 pin connectors that mount to the OEM hitch receiver. In that time period, the front to back wiring harness was installed at the factory, even without Factory Towing. Please note that adding the hitch receiver and wiring does NOT change the towing weight limits for your vehicle from the non-Factory Tow limit. Factory Tow is much more than a hitch and wiring...electrical, suspension and cooling are all additional pieces of the factory towing option.
Right... the pigtail isn't there. That's what is missing and why I asked my question.

Registered
GC Trailhawk
Hello from Orange County, CA. Welcome to our (not so) little group.
0000 Hello.png

Registered
Right... the pigtail isn't there. That's what is missing and why I asked my question.
My 2013 has the wiring which terminates behind the rear bumper, it has a cap on it which I removed, and had to buy an aftermarket harness with a 7 & 4 plug trailer connector from the auto parts store. I also installed an aftermarket hitch. The only issue is, only one wire is "hot" which is all I need for a lighted hitch mounted bump step. I believe you will need to have the dealer activate the harness if you want all functions, brake lights, signals, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
My 2013 has the wiring which terminates behind the rear bumper, it has a cap on it which I removed, and had to buy an aftermarket harness with a 7 & 4 plug trailer connector from the auto parts store. I also installed an aftermarket hitch. The only issue is, only one wire is "hot" which is all I need for a lighted hitch mounted bump step. I believe you will need to have the dealer activate the harness if you want all functions, brake lights, signals, etc.
I felt up behind the bumper cover and didn't feel it, but it could be there... Supposedly, JScan will enable one to turn on the factory trailer wiring, at least I hope it does.

Super Moderator
You may need to get on your back with a flashlight to look up behind the bumper. The pigtail may be tucked in pretty tight up there. Enabling the wiring requires enabling a "sales code" in the vehicle computer. Some folks have been able to do that themselves with software on more recent vintages, but the electrical system is different for MY1113. You may or may not be able to accomplish this yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts