Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I'm planning on buying a 2014 Summit. I've never owned a Jeep before and would welcome any comments. I'm planning on the V6 but get a lot of people saying get the hemi 8 and most people saying stay away from the diesel. Appreciate your feed back. Have a 88 volvo that still runs well. Can I expect to keep my summit a long time. I would hope so for what I'm paying.

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
Welcome to JeepGarage!! Check out the WK2 section of the forums for everything 2011-2014. There are a lot of discussions and information in there.

·
Premium Member
2005 WK
2,396 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2015 Altitude
111 Posts
My advice would be get the hemi. With the 8 speed tranny and eco mode its pretty much a no brainer, mpg difference will be slim to non. And if you must have an overland don't get the summit, order an overland to your liking or even build a limited. After spending a lot of time driving and inspecting these vehicles in person I would rank the vehicles in this order 1. Overland 2. Limited 3. Summit. Some of this is personal preference but my family has owned 8, coming up on 9 jeeps. My dad gets to pick any car he wants for his 60th bday $ no option and he is leaning towards just building a limited. We can all debate on you get this and don't get that. But let me tell you, if you don't already have ventilated seats you won't miss them, just like the adaptive cruise and all the other 99 cent chrome pieces jeep decided to put on the summit. I own a 2011 V6 and I love my car so I think that speaks volumes that I would still recommend something completely different. Hope this helps. Here's an advanced welcome to the family and happy hunting! Can't wait to see what you get.

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
If you plan to do any offloading, I would say a Limited or Overland. If you tow a lot, the V8 would the choice. If your worried about gas mileage and aren't worried about being the big child on the block, get the V6. Every SUV I have had were V6 and didn't have any problems doing anything with them. But there are many that swear by the V8 and there are many thread on the V6 vs V8 debate.

But get what you think will make you happy, not what others think you should get. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr InCrediBill,
I took the hemi 8 for a test drive and it was a blast. I was concerned about the mpg's or lack of but if the difference is really slim I will get the 8. Have to admit I liked the bells and whistles on the summit and was looking forward to the vented seats. I love the cold but not great with hot. It look like this jeep combines the best of both worlds luxury and rugged. This should be a real winner for Chrysler if they build in quality also. I'm impressed with Jeep owners loyalty. Thanks for the reply.
I own or may should say I'm owned by a Great Pyrenees and that boy takes up a lot of room. Also want the quadr lift suspension for my 90 year old Mom.

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
Mr InCrediBill,
I took the hemi 8 for a test drive and it was a blast. I was concerned about the mpg's or lack of but if the difference is really slim I will get the 8. Have to admit I liked the bells and whistles on the summit and was looking forward to the vented seats. I love the cold but not great with hot. It look like this jeep combines the best of both worlds luxury and rugged. This should be a real winner for Chrysler if they build in quality also. I'm impressed with Jeep owners loyalty. Thanks for the reply.
I own or may should say I'm owned by a Great Pyrenees and that boy takes up a lot of room. Also want the quadr lift suspension for my 90 year old Mom.
Then it sounds like an Overland V6 would fit you well and it is cheaper. You can always add things to the Overland.

·
Premium Member
WJ Limited
4,825 Posts
Welcome to the JG!! If ya can, go with the 2014 SRT Hemi. They're awesome!!

·
Registered
2004 GC Special Ed
6,891 Posts
Welcome to JeepGarage|

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,
I can't do a SRT but was planning on a summit with the hemi 8. I'm not sure about the twenties seem like a higher profile tire would be a better ride and stronger off road, however I don't think you can get anything but the twenties.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts