Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Boyz and Girls,

I picked up a 2020 JGC Trailhawk, so I am just going through the motions of setting up. Its not my first WK2, but firstone with Start/Stop. Ironically, the ESS seems to be deactivated. I checked battery level, checked hood latch, and looked for any hardwired bypass (ODB or under passenger footwell), but didn't see anything.

I am wondering if the Tazer was used and then removed, or another type of device to change these settings.

When I start the car, ESS and ECO mode are always deactivated (no lights on the buttons). When I check the EVIC, it just says Start/Stop Not ready.

Any idea if there is somewhere else I can check to see if there was re-programming done? Im not so much worried about the ESS, but really want to know if any other mods were done to the vehicle (that I may want to remove).

Tks!

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
221 Posts
when you say deactivated, do you mean the light is on under A off? There are a number of reasons why it isn’t ready but it should tell you. Mine has gone bad but it says it’s charging and needed a new sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The light under the A is OFF, but Start/Stop is not activating. Same with ECO mode, light is OFF upon startup.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I took our 2020 GC (new to us) into the dealer with ESS not working.

They checked the batteries individually and both passed.

The Tech then 'calibrated' the battery sensor and now it works. YMMV

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took our 2020 GC (new to us) into the dealer with ESS not working.

They checked the batteries individually and both passed.

The Tech then 'calibrated' the battery sensor and now it works. YMMV

Cheers
Yes, I plan on having the dealer check it out. Im not so much worried about ESS not working, but with what else may be causing this to not work. I originally thought the previous owner may have changed the software with a Taser (or similar) device.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Lights off for those two buttons means Eco Mode and Start/Stop are ON, not off. They default to on, so the buttons will light up when you turn them off.

Lots of reasons for Start/Stop not to work, most likely being battery insufficiencies. Several of us have had both batteries replaced under warranty to address this.

You'll probably want to leave Eco off, by the way. Throttle response is much more satisfying with it off, with no discernible effect on gas mileage.

Reactions: RCP7
1 - 6 of 6 Posts