·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,674 Posts
awesome Jeep!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Not a big fan of the new front end look but everythin else looks sweet.

·
Registered
2005 Grand Cherokee
5,111 Posts
So now its got Fully independent suspension? I thought it still had a solid rear axle?

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,674 Posts
yep...fully independant

·
Registered
2005 Grand Cherokee
5,111 Posts
They just lost a buyer right here.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think it looks ok. I think they need younger engineers as well working on the designs. That guy was about 50 and the look of the cherokee reflected that,lol. No offense to the older guys just making a point.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,674 Posts
solid rearends are sooooo 1982....LOL

·
Registered
2005 Grand Cherokee
5,111 Posts
yea, so is the HumVee with its 4 wheel independent suspension. I can deal with ifs but not fully independent. Thats why i would not buy alot of the suvs on the road today.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,674 Posts
I know its IRS and IFS.....not sure what you mean

·
Registered
2005 Grand Cherokee
5,111 Posts
I am saying that IFS and IRS are just as old as your comment "thats so 1982" lol. Just saying that Independent suspensions have been around for a while. LOL

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,674 Posts
its just a comment I like to use to get people "going"........but honestly...it is time to move on from the solid rear axles....

·
Jeep Garage's hunky Australian co-founder
9,365 Posts
But Kyle.... why do you need a solid rear axle? I haven't seen you doing any extreme off roading? A live rear axle is such a poor compromise for a Jeep that spends 99% of it's time on bitumen.
The Jeep WILL ride and handle so much better with an IRS system. I see all good :)

·
Registered
2005 Grand Cherokee
5,111 Posts
But i dont care. Ive always owned a vehicle with at least a rear solid axle. Its just simpler. I did not buy my WK for cushy luxury ride i bought it because i wanted something newer, and more modern. I wish the Wk had a solid front axle too.

I am going to be putting WK Bilsteins on it in the spring and Load range E Mud/AT tires. Eventually when its paid off, its going to get lifted too, and the last thing i want to do is deal with 4 wheel independent suspension for lifting, IFS is bad enough.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,674 Posts
totally your opinion

·
Rock N' Roll's Sophisticate/JG Co-Founder
Charger Hellcat
10,690 Posts
Jeep is moving away from catering from the off roaders because the number of them are so minimal. It would not make sense for them to cater to that minority of customers. The majority wants the best of both worlds, which is a awesome on road ride with the capability to get them through the winter. And the answer to that is a IFS and IRS. :)

(Flame Suit On) LOL

·
Registered
2005 Grand Cherokee
5,111 Posts
I am not gonna flame anyone. I am just saying. They made the new Grand Cherokee Fully Independent, they can count on the fact that i will never buy one. Not that they care.

·
Registered
9,269 Posts
I like it. I've liked it from the get go. And if the interior is as comfortable as it looks then this will be something I will consider in a few years.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of these on the road in the near future.

·
Jeep Garage's hunky Australian co-founder
9,365 Posts
Yeah, there is a million vehicles that a true off-road enthusiest would chose before a grand cherokee. For real hard core off roading you cant beat live axles front and rear. Full stop.
IFS sucks for off road, we all know that, due to relatively limited wheel travel. But, and here's the key, with the GC and it's awesome locking diffs, it doesn't really matter if the wheels are off the ground, it just locks the diff and moves on.
So, give me independent all round anytime, because I want the massive improvement in ride and handling, with the added benefit of improved diff clearence in deep sandy situations.

For serious off roading, I'd stick to a Wrangler ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts