Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2015 GC Limited - LOVE IT! Came with the windows tinted already and all the bells and whistles i need. I've been searching endlessly through this forum and found most of what i'm looking for (mods, q's & a's) but haven't found the below yet... if you're willing or can help me on a few of the below questions, it would be very much appreciated!! My excited niece in the pictures haha, not me! :)

1.) The black vinyl trim - would you use a rustoleum satin spray paint on this or plasti dip it??... I'm trying to stay away from the plasti dip finish look, it looks rough to me and the chrome pieces i'm planning to spray in rustoleum satin black finish anyway.

2.) I believe 32" tires are the largest I can go without a lift but I'm planning to do a 2.5" suspension lift anyway. Has there been more people liking one suspension lift vs. the other here??

3.) I'm going to change the headlights out for something a bit more blacked out on the inside because it looks like you'd have to actually take apart the current housing to black out the chrome inside which was a PITA the last vehicle i did (condensation and poor insulation after putting back together).... will headlights from a 2015 high altitude work? the light seems to look more aggressive? or is there a preferred aftermarket headlight people have found?

4.) I'm going to body color match the side mirror chrome and the door handles... thoughts on leaving the door handles installed, taping around them and just spraying them installed??

5.) has anyone changed out the black vinyl trim to color match the body paint color? Or have they just sprayed it with factory body paint color/will it adhere well and keep well?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
All of your questions have multiple answers in the various sub-forum areas up above that are applicable.

Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting for your trim and lighting questions

and

Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires for your lift, wheel and tire advise

You'll be very pleased to see just how much information is available!

Jim
Forum Moderator

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to our (not so) little group.
Thank you - looking forward to spending money!!

All of your questions have multiple answers in the various sub-forum areas up above that are applicable.

Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting for your trim and lighting questions

and

Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires for your lift, wheel and tire advise

You'll be very pleased to see just how much information is available!

Jim
Forum Moderator
Thanks so much Jim!! Learning but i appreciate your guidance!

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
602 Posts
3.) I'm going to change the headlights out for something a bit more blacked out on the inside because it looks like you'd have to actually take apart the current housing to black out the chrome inside which was a PITA the last vehicle i did (condensation and poor insulation after putting back together).... will headlights from a 2015 high altitude work? the light seems to look more aggressive? or is there a preferred aftermarket headlight people have found?

5.) has anyone changed out the black vinyl trim to color match the body paint color? Or have they just sprayed it with factory body paint color/will it adhere well and keep well?
So these are the two questions I can help with.

3). From the look of your picture it doesn't seem like you have the Bi-Xenon headlamps with the LED ring. Upgrading to the High Altitude headlights can be done but it's not as easy as just swapping them out. You have to do wiring harnesses and probably some other things that I am not sure of. Its pricey to say the least.

5). You can buy those trim pieces in smooth, paintable plastics. Look on justforjeeps.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i posted on a few suspension threads and no responses :(

Going the bilstein 5100 route all around - the eibach springs as well. but eibach keeps popping up as "lowering springs"... doesn't sound right to me but help?

THANKS ALL!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I cannot help any on the cosmetics, but, if I were shopping for a lift, I'd start at Old Man Emu... and, likely would not look any place else given my previous experience with the brand.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I went with the 2.5 RRO lift level kit. It's not a full suspension lift but a spacer lift. Very well made with no other modifications needed. Uses the stock suspension and does not change any ride characteristics plus it's a lot cheaper. 20180927_131314.jpg

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just bought a 2015 GC Limited - LOVE IT! Came with the windows tinted already and all the bells and whistles i need. I've been searching endlessly through this forum and found most of what i'm looking for (mods, q's & a's) but haven't found the below yet... if you're willing or can help me on a few of the below questions, it would be very much appreciated!! My excited niece in the pictures haha, not me! :)

1.) The black vinyl trim - would you use a rustoleum satin spray paint on this or plasti dip it??... I'm trying to stay away from the plasti dip finish look, it looks rough to me and the chrome pieces i'm planning to spray in rustoleum satin black finish anyway.

2.) I believe 32" tires are the largest I can go without a lift but I'm planning to do a 2.5" suspension lift anyway. Has there been more people liking one suspension lift vs. the other here??

4.) I'm going to body color match the side mirror chrome and the door handles... thoughts on leaving the door handles installed, taping around them and just spraying them installed??

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR!!!
Front side windows legal where you live? I'd probably get in trouble up here in Canada but not sure..

2-5.) Don't do it :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front side windows legal where you live? I'd probably get in trouble up here in Canada but not sure..

2-5.) Don't do it :)
Haha i don't think they are actually - came from the dealership with the tint though. They don't really care too much about it in NoVa as long as you're not an ass on the road. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts