Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- I have been lurking here for a while and now I come to post looking for advice.

Bought a 2014 GC Overland Hemi in November with 35k miles. By December I had discovered a small oil leak on the front of motor as well as a low speed clunk coming from the rear end. Last month, an EVAP system CEL appeared which rendered the remote start inoperable. Due to growing concerns I made an appointment at the dealer and brought the vehicle in as well as requested ALL service records.

I then discovered the vehicle had extensive repairs prior to my purchase and was informed that the dealer had successfully fixed the oil leak (cam sensor), the EVAP CEL (faulty sensor), re programmed the tranny as well as replaced the water pump due to small leak.

Repair list prior to my purchase included:
-Air suspension twice
-fuel tank replaced (may have been previous owner's fault)
-Oil pan replaced due to leaks
-Fuel sensors

This is quite the laundry list. I have no complaints regarding my local dealer addressing these issues but the QUESTION IS how much is too much. When should I attempt to get Chrysler involved. I refuse to own a $50,000 vehicle that needs a laundry list of repairs every few months, regardless of warranty state.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
While i can feel your pain i kind of take exception to the "new wk2 owner" tag - implies the car is "new" - you are a new owner of an old wk2 - old brings problems with it - old ones, new ones and others still waiting to be found and also there is no "lemon" protection on used cars - now as for the "list" it really doesn't seem too extreme considering the complexity of todays vehicles - QL did seem to have a few problems in the earlier models but for the most part seems to do its job fairly well (but not flawlessly) today - i wish you luck on your next 50k, 60k, 90k car that has a few problems because there will always be something new going wrong no matter how much you spend

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input- Is it safe to assume you have owned Jeep's for quite some time now? I see two listed in your sig. My past experience with everything from Honda, 14 years of VW ownership and even a Saturn coupe doesn't even sniff the amount of issues this vehicle has had. Maybe I was extremely lucky with all of the other vehicles I have owned and I accept that possibility but as stated, I am merely looking for advice in posting here.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
i had earlier gc (2000) - the 2006 had brake issues the first year but jeep took care of them - had the 2000 for 14 years - the 2006 is obviously on year 13 - my 92 saturn was the biggest pile of **** i ever owned - constant problems that a 3rd party service plan refused to pay for until the engine finally went into melt down mode in year 6 (<70K miles) - previously owned 69 mercury cougar, 74 fiat 124 spyder, 78 ford fairmont, 80 chevy citation, 84 buick skylark, 86 volvo 760 (the car i most loved to drive but second worst mechanically - purchased used) and a 94 chevy g20 conversion van

·
Registered
2015 GC Altitude
1 Posts
Hey guys- I have been lurking here for a while and now I come to post looking for advice.

Bought a 2014 GC Overland Hemi in November with 35k miles. By December I had discovered a small oil leak on the front of motor as well as a low speed clunk coming from the rear end. Last month, an EVAP system CEL appeared which rendered the remote start inoperable. Due to growing concerns I made an appointment at the dealer and brought the vehicle in as well as requested ALL service records.

I then discovered the vehicle had extensive repairs prior to my purchase and was informed that the dealer had successfully fixed the oil leak (cam sensor), the EVAP CEL (faulty sensor), re programmed the tranny as well as replaced the water pump due to small leak.

-Air suspension twice
-Fuel sensors

This is quite the laundry list. I have no complaints regarding my local dealer addressing these issues but the QUESTION IS how much is too much. When should I attempt to get Chrysler involved. I refuse to own a $50,000 vehicle that needs a laundry list of repairs every few months, regardless of warranty state.

Thank you in advance
I feel your pain man. I bought a certified 15 grand cherokee altitude in January. First jeep product. 36k miles. It's my bad that I didn't more thoroughly inspect it during my test drive, but it was 30 degrees and sleeting, so it was a quick inspection.

Almost immediately noticed loud clunking from the rear and a knock in the steering wheel that I could feel in my hands. I also had a leaking front timing cover.

The dealership fixed the leak and replaced the shocks. I put a Dorman intermediate shaft in myself, which cured the knock in the wheel.

Still hearing a slight clunk that doesn't sound right in the rear, but I'm not willing to go back and forth with the dealer about it. I actually love the car, but am definitely a bit disappointed in the issues is had already. Hopefully that's it though. Good luck with your issues.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,462 Posts
....a small oil leak on the front of motor....

....low speed clunk coming from the rear end....

....an EVAP system CEL appeared which rendered the remote start inoperable...

-Air suspension twice
-Fuel sensors
5 years old w/ 35k miles....

So your past repairs in the record, the Air Suspension is a rather new system not used on production vehicles much at all, it shouldn't be surprising it has had some problems.

Fuel Sensors probably were replaced with the gas tank, and if the guy had some sort of accident or high peaked the vehicle on a curb or something, that might account for the oil pan and gas tank.

Your own, an oil leak? Cam Sensor is pretty common and only costs a couple of bucks, unfortunately the Dealership is never cheap, please don't tell me they charged more than a $100 to replace the Cam Sensor Seal.

Low speed clunk could be a bushing, the new voided bushings are notorious for wearing out quickly, sure they make the driveline smooth as all get out, until they wear out.

The evap system, that's a federal government emissions thing and they've set the standard ridiculously too high IMO. You can have a system perfectly sealed and no fumes leaking to the atmosphere but fail the test for a leak so small it can't be detected or found. It can take a long time to troubleshoot. And since the OBDII only runs the tests periodically and only under certain conditions, you can think you've fixed it and 6 weeks later the light comes back. Better make sure the Dealer is opening the Service Manual and following the troubleshooting procedures and not just guessing as they replace parts. It can be as simple as failing to put the gas cap on correctly after fueling the vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Overland
4 Posts
Hey aggolfer9,

Kinda in the same boat as you, except the laundry list started after I bought a used 2011 WK2 5.7L Overland with ~70k miles. Excellent shape, clean Carfax, and definitely never taken off-road. Within a year, the leather dash peeled back, lifter siezed, cam position sensor failed, and Quadra-lift expired. Dealership is still chasing the QL, but I am already in for a new control module and new compressor assembly.

I know that the GC Overland is one of the most complex Jeeps available (priced accordingly), but if FCA expects to retain loyalty to their high end Jeeps, they need to back up the complexity with solid engineering, quality production, and stand behind their product if/when there are issues. Been through 2 prior GCs and 3 Wranglers and have had a lot more smiles than frowns, but this one is really testing my loyalty. Good luck with your rig. My $0.02...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hey aggolfer9,

Kinda in the same boat as you, except the laundry list started after I bought a used 2011 WK2 5.7L Overland with ~70k miles. Excellent shape, clean Carfax, and definitely never taken off-road. Within a year, the leather dash peeled back, lifter siezed, cam position sensor failed, and Quadra-lift expired. Dealership is still chasing the QL, but I am already in for a new control module and new compressor assembly.

I know that the GC Overland is one of the most complex Jeeps available (priced accordingly), but if FCA expects to retain loyalty to their high end Jeeps, they need to back up the complexity with solid engineering, quality production, and stand behind their product if/when there are issues. Been through 2 prior GCs and 3 Wranglers and have had a lot more smiles than frowns, but this one is really testing my loyalty. Good luck with your rig. My $0.02...
You are not going to find a bulletproof air suspension. The GC's version is about as good as it gets for a 4 corner system. Why do you think Toyota/Lexus doesn't offer one? Heaven forbid their image is tarnish. HAHA

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Hey aggolfer9,

Sorry to hear about your issues, but when you buy used you need to do some work to see how things hold up long term. You bought a 2011 which is what 7, 8 years old. That's probably close to the average life span of a car in general and you bought one with some complex systems.

I don't think you can really blame Jeep for that. Plus you don't know exactly how the previous owner took care of it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,462 Posts
There are a lot of pressures to get away from the Off-Road Ability, the only way for Jeep to retain it is complexity.

There have been dozen of class-action lawsuits about Jeep suspensions, either for high speed safety or high repair costs down the road. Lots of people complaining about the Jeep suspension at high miles because they didn't maintain or repair them but expect them to still be as good as much simpler on-road only suspensions after years of neglect. Then there is Government with roll-over and high speed handling standards.

Don't forget alot of the government mandated safety equipment.

And Jeep also has the double edge sword of having a lot of mass appeal for "Being different than other cars" but the masses that buy them, then turn around and expect them to be just like other cars.

I'm still shocked today that the Wrangler can meet all the Federal Standards. The GC meets them, and also the ride and smoothness standards of the customers in the market today. And the only way to get the off-road ability is with the complexity of things like the air suspension.

You might note, the cheap entry level Jeeps, that the jeep purist bemoan, because they are just car platforms hopped up on steroids to get them to have "Best in Class" off road ability. Off road ability just can't be done today with simple solid engineering, and still meet on road gov standards, demands of the market, etc, etc....

Having said that, FCA has had some quality problems over the last couple of years as the company has struggled. So, there are more than a few on this list that do come down to, it just shouldn't happen and wouldn't if the company did more to improve the quality of the vehicle.

I guess what I'm saying, yea there are some quality issues and you have every right to complain. But, the attitude that they should make Jeeps like they used to make them, sorry, those days are gone. Today its either, make the Jeeps more like regular on-road only cars, or make them more complex to retain some of the Off-Road ability. The regs and demands of the market are such it has to be one of the other. If you Reproduced a 90's JGC with updated body lines, the Federal Government would ban you from selling it because it doesn't meet current safety standards, and no it would require a total redesign to meet crash/roof crush/roll over/high speed handling standards, not simply tac on the mandated safety equipment of an old design. But say you bribe the politicians in power to let you sell it anyway. Look out, here comes all the class action lawsuits for death wobble, roll over and high suspension repair bills. And then, half your potential customers would walk away because it doesn't have x, y and z that Lexus and Toyota have.

·
Registered
282 Posts

-Air suspension twice
-Fuel sensors

Thank you in advance
Did you really Pay $50K for a used 2014 Grand Cherokee? I agree that sucks but it sounds like you made up your mind you" refuse to own". I would complain about and to the dealer who sold me this vehicle that seems to have problems and that they had indication of. What advice are you looking for? As for getting "Chrysler involved" not sure that will end to your satisfaction but I guess it is an option

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Did you really Pay $50K for a used 2014 Grand Cherokee? I agree that sucks but it sounds like you made up your mind you" refuse to own". I would complain about and to the dealer who sold me this vehicle that seems to have problems and that they had indication of. What advice are you looking for? As for getting "Chrysler involved" not sure that will end to your satisfaction but I guess it is an option
Couldn't be. The sticker on a new one is around $50-$55.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
255 Posts
Couldn't be. The sticker on a new one is around $50-$55.
Also, why didn't he check the carfax of the vehicle? When I was shopping for vehicles, the first video I found was of some Australian man spending 8k on a rap video of how bad his GC was. A basic search probably would've told OP that pre-2016 jeeps basically have a lot of problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts