Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nazis invented ersatz oil as stopgap till they could take Romania. Looks like the 5.7 will function best on conventional. Castrol has GTX Ultraclean and I am happy to say goodby to Dexos, specially formulated to try to keep the chains in phase on GM 3.6 DOHCs.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,569 Posts
lol wat

You need to be using oil that meets Chrysler spec MS-6395 and the required viscosity to meet warranty needs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Conventional oil is recommended but, as an afterthought, manual says synthetic may be used as long as it meets MS-6395. Operation of 4 cyl disabling system depends on temp/viscosity curve of 5W-20 conventional oil. Every synthetic is different and none are designed to thin at the same rate as mineral oil when heated. Better to use what the machine was designed around.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I agree with Todd and Arminius if you value your warranty.
With old school engines the oil didn't make that much of a difference up to a point.
Hell i'm running Rotella T5 diesel semi-synthetic oil in my old XJ's 4.0.

With these new overhead cam engines complete with cam phasers which require a specific oil viscosity to operate properly, plastic cam chain guides and now ASS (Automatic Start Stop) its best to use exactly the oil the manufacturer specifies.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,634 Posts
The Nazi's did not invent Synthetic Oil, they only resorted to it after they had been choked off from their crude oil supply..... ...besides it was made from coal, water and other gases.... ....todays Group IV PAO is made from natural gas.....
Besides most Synthetic oil on the shelves is Group III Oil and is crude oil that has been hydrocracked in the refining process to synthesis the molecule chain somewhat.... ....this was not in practical use till 40 years after WWII......

Were the Nazi's using POE or PAO, because PAO is far more in use with the Group IV Exotics....
Nazi's wore clothes also, are you going to go naked now?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yep those old wacky Nazi's had to become resourceful especially in the later days of WWII when they invaded Russia.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Synthetic oil used to be the exception but now appears to be the rule. Conventional Castrol required some work to find. Amazon has 3 packs of five qt jugs for $80 but their one quarts would not come for 1-2 months. Singles to reach 7 quarts were a separate order at Walmart to which I added 3 Fram filters to get free shipping. As to chemistry set oil, it all gets dirty at the same rate while thinning is not a factor within the 6000 mile change intervals. It's the suspended abrasives that cause wear.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,569 Posts
DO. NOT. USE. FRAM.

The Mopar filter at Walmart is less than $10.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
64 Posts
As I think on this thought of synthetic oil Verses conventional ...
..am I wrong that, at least, the 2017 Grand Jeep OVL 5.7 V-8 HEMI came with Pennzoil Platinum Fully Synthetic (natural gas process) new and recommended ...has me trying to remember long ago details now. LOL
Seems when I asked for the brand behind Jeep part number on oil that they told me same as I mentioned is what they use. As I recall.

I always use the Pennzoil Platinum Fully Synthetic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts