Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
Well, my brake lights don't work, so I 1st thought the bulbs were bad and, nope, they all good. Then I checked the fuse, #23 in the JB; nope, it is okay. Then, I checked the switch, and yes, it was fine. How did I test? With a power probe, I put 12v after the switch and the lights worked, so no wire cut, then applied 12v to the fuse, and it worked! So no wire fails between the fuse and the switch.
So, after all of this, my conclusion is that the fuse is not receiving power. So I don't know what the next step could be. Maybe it is a faulty JB because my power seats don't work either, and I checked, and yes, it doesn't receive any 12v, and the circuit breaker is fine. What could be it? Also, my turn lights are getting stuck when I turn left, the light in the dash and the actual light gets stuck in on position; II have to turn the switch right to reset it. Also, when I put the hazard lights on, it gets stuck in the left light. I figured it could be the relay, and I'm working on replacing it; however, could it be related to my JB problem? I would appreciate any idea on what to do next.
Hugo

BTW: JB = Junction Block

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
1,154 Posts
Welcome to the Jeep family Luminem.

What model/year/engine GC do you have?
If its a 21 year old WJ like mine, I had to replace both rear light clusters due to corrosion on the internal metal circuitry that had rusted out on both left and right sides- but this also entailed the brake lights, indicators and reversing lights doing a disco effect on me and being temperamental. Sometimes, twisting the bulbs a little in their housing can make the connection, but I'm guessing you've explored this when you bypassed the JB and got power to the brake lights?

Relay sounds the issue with the indicator jamming to a permanent on. Can you hear it clicking when you've tried the left turn on the stalk? Silent relays are a tell-tale of not switching in older cars, I believe? Are the hazards working fine when you depress the button? Although they share the same relay (I think), the hazards working fine might lead to a stalk switch issue? I'm unsure which models share or have independent relays for left and right, so knowing which model and year you have will help folk on here help you.

Because you have several issues at the same time, could it be an earth point issue?
The power seats not working- is it both front seats or just the one? I take it you've checked the connections underneath and there's no power getting to the motors, hence the thinking its your JB as three things have failed at the same time?
Some electrics share the same ground point, which is why I'm drawn to that, but would having a bad earth connection somewhere affect all of these at the same time?

Keep us posted, but I'm sure that other members on here can provide you with better insights as I haven't had 3 things bugger up at the same time like you've relayed. It makes sense that they're connected somewhere along the line, but equally, it can't be ignored that these could also be 3 separate and independent problems. To determine this, I would ask if all three elements (brake lights/left indicator sticking/power seats) all went fubar at the same time? Or were they encroaching separately over a period of days/weeks/months?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys.
Well, my brake lights don't work, so I 1st thought the bulbs were bad and, nope, they all good. Then I checked the fuse, #23 in the JB; nope, it is okay. Then, I checked the switch, and yes, it was fine. How did I test? With a power probe, I put 12v after the switch and the lights worked, so no wire cut, then applied 12v to the fuse, and it worked! So no wire fails between the fuse and the switch.
So, after all of this, my conclusion is that the fuse is not receiving power. So I don't know what the next step could be. Maybe it is a faulty JB because my power seats don't work either, and I checked, and yes, it doesn't receive any 12v, and the circuit breaker is fine. What could be it? Also, my turn lights are getting stuck when I turn left, the light in the dash and the actual light gets stuck in on position; II have to turn the switch right to reset it. Also, when I put the hazard lights on, it gets stuck in the left light. I figured it could be the relay, and I'm working on replacing it; however, could it be related to my JB problem? I would appreciate any idea on what to do next.
Hugo

BTW: JB = Junction Block
I have a 98 XJ with the same problems. Today I noticed copper wire exposed at the wire bundle going into the lift gate. Several of the wires were shorted out. Separated the shorted wires and started more checks. My problem now is no power at fuse #23 and a few others. Have you been able to restore power to the fuses in your jeep?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Dale, yes I solved the problem so far. Looking at the wiring diagrams, I found that the power seats and the brake light are powered by a 50A located in the front power distribution center (fuses in the hood). I replaced it and everything is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Dale, yes I solved the problem so far. Looking at the wiring diagrams, I found that the power seats and the brake light are powered by a 50A located in the front power distribution center (fuses in the hood). I replaced it and everything is fine.
Good news on your Jeep. Checked the fuses in the PDC and they are all good. I've been using a test light with a sharp point to check for positive voltages. It indicates no voltage on several fuses, including the left headlight high beam. Both headlights are fine for low and high beams. So, I checked the brake lights again and they are working now. Not sure what's going on with the tester. The wires that were shorted out have been separated and fuse 23 was replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the Jeep family Luminem.

What model/year/engine GC do you have?
If its a 21 year old WJ like mine, I had to replace both rear light clusters due to corrosion on the internal metal circuitry that had rusted out on both left and right sides- but this also entailed the brake lights, indicators and reversing lights doing a disco effect on me and being temperamental. Sometimes, twisting the bulbs a little in their housing can make the connection, but I'm guessing you've explored this when you bypassed the JB and got power to the brake lights?

Relay sounds the issue with the indicator jamming to a permanent on. Can you hear it clicking when you've tried the left turn on the stalk? Silent relays are a tell-tale of not switching in older cars, I believe? Are the hazards working fine when you depress the button? Although they share the same relay (I think), the hazards working fine might lead to a stalk switch issue? I'm unsure which models share or have independent relays for left and right, so knowing which model and year you have will help folk on here help you.

Because you have several issues at the same time, could it be an earth point issue?
The power seats not working- is it both front seats or just the one? I take it you've checked the connections underneath and there's no power getting to the motors, hence the thinking its your JB as three things have failed at the same time?
Some electrics share the same ground point, which is why I'm drawn to that, but would having a bad earth connection somewhere affect all of these at the same time?

Keep us posted, but I'm sure that other members on here can provide you with better insights as I haven't had 3 things bugger up at the same time like you've relayed. It makes sense that they're connected somewhere along the line, but equally, it can't be ignored that these could also be 3 separate and independent problems. To determine this, I would ask if all three elements (brake lights/left indicator sticking/power seats) all went fubar at the same time? Or were they encroaching separately over a period of days/weeks/months?
Thanks for your warm welcome, and your professional post.
I was able to fix the problem. It was only a fuse in the PDC that was causing the issue. Both the seats and the break lights work now. Im currently working in replacing the flasher relay (for the stuck turning light). Hope that solves it. Again thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your warm welcome, and your professional post.
I was able to fix the problem. It was only a fuse in the PDC that was causing the issue. Both the seats and the break lights work now. Im currently working in replacing the flasher relay (for the stuck turning light). Hope that solves it. Again thanks for your insight.
My turn signals were not blinking either most of the time (stuck on). Occasionally they would work properly. I had to move the turn signal lever manually to make them blink, at least the indicators would blink. Not sure about the exterior lights. The turn signals are working now since the wires that were shorted out have been separated. So if the flasher isn't the problem it is likely a short in the wiring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts