Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently purchased a used 2007 Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6. This is my first time driving a Jeep and so I have no idea as to what is normal and what is not. But I did notice that when down shifting using the steptronic shifting to low gears like 3 and 2 while at moderately high speed on highway, and releasing my foot off the gas, there seems to be no pullback, the truck just continues flying forward.

Is this normal?? To my knowledge all cars in low gears especially in steptronic should pullback once gas is released. I'm hoping that its not a mechanical problem or something. I'd really appreciate if anyone driving a similar truck/engine could tell me if this experience is normal! :D

·
Banned
909 Posts
depending on youre speed at the time the trans likely wouldnt allow it to go to a lower gear so as not too damage the trans. do you have a tach? did you see rpms increase when you downshifted that would be the way to tell if its shifting

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey kennzz, thanks for the reply. I went out and tested it again to make sure of what you said, yes it is definitely changing gear, RPM increase and obvious notice of gear shift, still however there is no pull back on release of gas. I notice you have an SRT, im sure you dont have the same problem right? How many gears do you have besides 'D'?

·
Banned
909 Posts
Its a 5 speed like yours, only low below the D selection and the rest are accomplished with autoshift (left/right tap on shifter)

·
Registered
2010 JEEP SRT8
1,742 Posts
I don't know much about the 3.7 does it have drive by wire? if so that's why. my hemi coasts like I'm resting my foot on the gas. I read somewhere that it keeps the throttle open a little to compensate for engine speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know much about the 3.7 does it have drive by wire?
I'm not sure what you mean by drive by wire but in 2007 (my model) they introduced electronic throttle control to the Laredo, so I guess the pedal isn't by wire if that's what you meant.

I'm not that great with mechanics to be honest, but I'm guessing maybe the coasting effect is just the way Jeep programmed their gears? Do you think or know of any tuners around that are able to maybe reconfigure the transmission/clutch to a different mode, something with less coasting? :p

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by drive by wire but in 2007 (my model) they introduced electronic throttle control to the Laredo, so I guess the pedal isn't by wire if that's what you meant.

I'm not that great with mechanics to be honest, but I'm guessing maybe the coasting effect is just the way Jeep programmed their gears? Do you think or know of any tuners around that are able to maybe reconfigure the transmission/clutch to a different mode, something with less coasting? :p

Thanks for your help.
The coasting is for the mpgs

·
Registered
2010 JEEP SRT8
1,742 Posts
you are wanting some engine brakeing effect. I understand, I miss it as well, if for nothing other than exhaust note :D

drive by wire means the gas pedal is a sensor and runs the motorized TB as opposed to having a cable connecting the two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Engine braking effect are exactly the words! I'm surprised there's no feeling of this. Anyway, 4.whoa your build thread link doesn't seem to be functional. Atleast from my side.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks...its working now :thumbsup:

That's the 2nd time its done that...wtf? :confused:
Hey check it our 4.whoa. I like to mess with my jeep (i maintain it) and was cruising the other day and I was like "im gonna downshift into first" I might have been going 40 45 (who cares) and I was in 1 but the car did nothing until I got to like 30 or something. How aggressive are you with the trans? By the way the Benz transmission is really a performer. I got stories on how to use that thing. You can practically use the pedal to select a gear. Its awesome mid corner and getting on the throttle during corner entry (if it sweeps nice) lets you drive a this thing like a race car (owned an m3). Jeep is best I'm done here

·
Registered
2010 JEEP SRT8
1,742 Posts
^ well, i havent had it on a roadcourse, that gets me REAL aggressive :D
But I have dropped her to 2nd around 45 ish for the exhaust " grumble " i have a fabulous trans tune from FlyinRyan and it holds gears like a champ and downshifts the turns great on its own, as long as I haven't been stuck in slow traffic ( that damn self learning thing)

* Do you have a tuner? my rev limiter is like 6k+ so that alone lets me do a lot :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
^ well, i havent had it on a roadcourse, that gets me REAL aggressive :D
But I have dropped her to 2nd around 45 ish for the exhaust " grumble " i have a fabulous trans tune from FlyinRyan and it holds gears like a champ and downshifts the turns great on its own, as long as I haven't been stuck in slow traffic ( that damn self learning thing)

* Do you have a tuner? my rev limiter is like 6k+ so that alone lets me do a lot :cool:
I do not have any tunes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts