Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

No tow hooks? Front Recovery Solution help

256K views 1K replies 134 participants last post by  GMWK2 
#1 ·
No tow hooks? Front Recovery Soluition help

I went to the dealer today to check the timing of my delivery and we hit a major stumbling block. The ECB bullbar does not fit the 2012 JGC. I spoke to the guy at ECB and he said the chassis rail has been shortened by a couple of inches. (they are working on re-engineering mounts but will take time)

It appears that to protect the pedestrian and satisfy NCAP (and ANCAP), not only are the hooks removed, but they have shortened the protrusion of the chassis rail.

I would appreciate someone in the know to let us know for sure but I'm guessing all AUS ORAII packs will come minus the tow hooks, and without any serious front end recovery solution at all.

Any suggestions for an alternative?

#2 ·
Re: No tow hooks? Front Recovery Soluition help

You are correct. NO TOW HOOKS. From what I have heard, this is due to a European issue, but Jeep have simply removed them from all Export models.
I am unable to comment on the shortened chassis, but suspect that is not correct, as that would have been a major re-engineering of the car.
You can buy hooks from Mopar, but naturally, there will be a cost.
If you have an Overland, then there would also possibly be issues with the Cruise Control sensor, which sits in the lower part of the front grill.

#3 ·

just got my CRD overland a couple of weeks ago
i found out after removing front guard no hooks
so i ordered some from usa. the dont fit as the have shortned chassis
and the front clip holes to keep the hooks in are missing which are shown
on the fitting instructions. if fitting hook it will only be held by retaining nut at rear

#4 ·

just got my CRD overland a couple of weeks ago
i found out after removing front guard no hooks
so i ordered some from usa. the dont fit as the have shortned chassis
and the front clip holes to keep the hooks in are missing which are shown
on the fitting instructions. if fitting hook it will only be held by retaining nut at rear
Great, lucky that I have not ordered the hooks yet. Can you please make a photo so we can all see what's missing? Thanks.

#9 ·

attatched photo with bumper back on. no position
for front ho;es for bracket to attatch
Its a bit hard to tell from the photo but the bracket shown appears to suit the 20mm tow hook that is packed in with the spare.

I did see a post with photos in the US where recovery hooks were purchased and fitted using a supplied bracket that looked as if it bolted up where this tow hook bracket is.

Is the tow hook bracket removable?
and if so does the location and the existing bolt sizes appear strong enought to support a recovery hook bracket?
John

#7 ·

My dealer did say he was speaking to ARB regarding aftermarket hooks but he conveniently went on holidays on Friday, with no notes or hand over discussion. The back up salesman is helping out and doing the call around. I'll keep you posted.

#14 ·

My dealer did say he was speaking to ARB regarding aftermarket hooks but he conveniently went on holidays on Friday, with no notes or hand over discussion. The back up salesman is helping out and doing the call around. I'll keep you posted.
Don't expect an ARB solution in the near future, they won't waste time on engineering after market accessories for the WK2 until there are more on the road.

#8 ·

i guess if you are never going to take them off you could
wel the hook to front crossbar where the bolt holes used to be
and bolt at back. problem is i have an overland with a sensor on front.
i am thinking of a nudge bar on front to protect sensor when off road
so the may need those attatchmnet points?

#394 ·

i guess if you are never going to take them off you could
wel the hook to front crossbar where the bolt holes used to be
and bolt at back. problem is i have an overland with a sensor on front.
i am thinking of a nudge bar on front to protect sensor when off road
so the may need those attatchmnet points?
I was in a Perth 4WD store the other day and they were fitting an ARB bull bar to a WK2 and informed me that it incorporated front tow hooks. I understand that it was the top of the range model Overlander, but suits all models.

#11 ·

I just can't believe Jeep are so dumb as to not provide the hooks, and leave them off so when offroad. They should have setup something so that they could be easily installed. A pin, such as in a towbar could be utilised.
Apparently the reason for their removal was to avoid possible injury to persons if hit by the car. I personnally feel that if you were hit by a GC Jeep, the tow hooks would make no difference to your health.

#13 ·

I just can't believe Jeep are so dumb as to not provide the hooks, and leave them off so when offroad. They should have setup something so that they could be easily installed. A pin, such as in a towbar could be utilised.
Apparently the reason for their removal was to avoid possible injury to persons if hit by the car. I personnally feel that if you were hit by a GC Jeep, the tow hooks would make no difference to your health.
It's simply a case on "policy on the fly" by Jeep. Hate to say it but I don't think European manufacturers or say Toyota would have made such a blunder - 4X4 with no front end recovery options? Doubt this will help there 2012 4X4 of the year chances....

#12 ·

Yeah it is a stupid rule, but it is not actually Jeeps rule as far as i know. There is a silly ADR rule, at least in NSW that says you cant have anything poking out of the chassis, a few years ago my mate got defected in his 4WD for having somthing similar, because he had removed the front bar to fit a bullbar, but had left tow hooks etc where the front bar should be.

#16 ·

The Mopar hooks Part nr: 82212095 appear to meet the requirements. There is a detailed pdf fitting instruction on their site. I have seen some very nice crome hooks around somewhere too.

#17 ·

The Mopar hooks Part nr: 82212095 appear to meet the requirements. There is a detailed pdf fitting instruction on their site. I have seen some very nice crome hooks around somewhere too.
That's what pcfg69 tried to fit. Have a look at the installation instructions and compare with pcfg69's post where he says that there is no provision for the two bolts to hold the front bracket.

I compared the pictures in this post with the ones in the DIY section but can't see the difference. Probably need to wait for my GC or until someone posts better pics. :confused:

#22 ·

My overland crd is a 2012 build model
so any 2012 models would be the same
their is a small lip which could be accessable with a nut and bolt
if this is only to keep sideways movement and all the force is held
by the rear 2 bolts maybe that would be ok ?

#23 ·
My overland crd is a 2012 build model
so any 2012 models would be the same
their is a small lip which could be accessable with a nut and bolt
if this is only to keep sideways movement and all the force is held
by the rear 2 bolts maybe that would be ok ?
I wonder how different the 2012 cross member is to the 2011 ,

#24 ·
Does the 2012 GC have 2 holes in the front cross member for mounting the recovery hooks:confused:

Im keen to hit the dealer up for the Hooks when mine arrives but only if there are the 2 mounting holes on the cross menber

Cheers:thumbsup:

#28 ·

I would not drill into any structural part of the car as it could cause you a whole world of pain.
Aside from weakening the chassis, you risk causing problems with rust.
I would make it Jeeps problem and ask them WTF they are going to do about this issue.
It is a bit pointless having a 4x4 without any means of recovery points. Even though I do not plan to 4x4 my car, I would expect it to have this basic safety requirement.
I also thought that you are required to have recovery points front and rear to gain ADR's.

#29 ·

I would not drill into any structural part of the car as it could cause you a whole world of pain.
Aside from weakening the chassis, you risk causing problems with rust.
I would make it Jeeps problem and ask them WTF they are going to do about this issue.
It is a bit pointless having a 4x4 without any means of recovery points. Even though I do not plan to 4x4 my car, I would expect it to have this basic safety requirement.
I also thought that you are required to have recovery points front and rear to gain ADR's.
The 2012 WK2 has an eye bolt packed beside the spare....As I understand it the plastic cover is removed from the front panel and the 30mm diameter bolt part is pushed into the existing bracket and the nut tightened up.
in my opinion the eye bolt looks a bit flimsy for a full blown recovery, and not least a pain to fit up if at the time you are stuck in goop already.
There is a substantial rear hook still fitted.

#33 ·

Thanks - Good Luck! I'm happy to send a follow up or sign a petition.

Not sure how you will go. My perception is that no-one here (in Australia) actually knows anything. I don't know where the decision came from to delete the hooks but it seems like it was handed down to us from the US as a result of the EURO (ncap) lobby.

I spoke to my service department, who are also looking at a solution - they said that they aren't allowed to drill holes in the chassis rail, or if they do they need to send it to a compliance company to ensure it still complies. There is one said company in Toowoomba and we are looking into it.

#34 ·

I would also support a petition to Chrysler Aust.
Why not open publish the letter to them here?
That way, it would be public, and can be cloned for further letters.

#36 ·
Exract From: Talking Jeep Oz

"Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 Recovery Hook Announcement

Numerous complaints from purchasers of the 2012 Grand Cherokee regarding the deletion of front recovery hooks has led Chrysler Jeep Australia to officially advise dealers that the screw in Tow Hooks supplied with 2012 models are not suitable for four wheel drive recovery and are only rated for very light towing duties.
In an official dealer bulletin distributed today they also stated that the 2011 recovery hooks can not be fitted to the 2012 model as the front of the vehicle has been modified and there is no mounting bar for the factory hooks to bolt to.
The reason given for the deletion of the 2011 recovery hooks was to comply with ANCAP pedestrian safety requirements and European regulations for pedestrian impact. Also prospective future Australian legislation that could bring Euro regulations to Australia.
Seeing that the Jeep Grand Cherokee has not been ANCAP tested in Australia (only Euro-NCAP and US ) this seems like a feeble excuse. It looks more like Jeep Australia are being dictated to by Jeep in the US that they must take European specification vehicles instead of the 2011 specification that Australian buyers were expecting at the time of purchase. It appears that Jeep only want to build one version for export at the cost of customer expectations. This is the very first real 4WD Jeep to be sold in Australia without being fitted with suitable hooks for 4WD recovery.
We have been told that Jeep Australia are evaluating retro fitting of suitable recovery hooks and also a new designed Nudge Bar that will incorporate recovery hooks.
In the meantime owners wishing to use their 2012 Grand Cherokee in 4WD terrain can only safely drive on 2WD roads. Venture onto 4WD trails and get stuck in some mud and your Jeep can not be recovered without major damage to the vehicle. Under no circumstances should owners use the screw in tow eye hook for any recovery as it is not rated for recovery."

Not happy Jan :mad:

#38 ·

I would contact Department of Fair trading as the product is not fit for the intended purpose. Unless you were advised at time of order that there was no 4x4 compatible recovery points, then Jeep do not have a leg to stand on. You can either get compo, get a full refund or get them to make good. This could be an interesting problem for Jeep as they have to sort the problem out, then cannot just send you a letter after the fact and say tough titties. I would suggest that anyone who is affected by this problem contact their state fair trading body and lodge a formal complaint under the new ACL. I bet Jeep sort this out very fast as it will be costing them sales and if they cannot sort it out, may have a heap of used 4x4's that cannot go offroad.

#41 ·
I would contact Department of Fair trading as the product is not fit for the intended purpose. Unless you were advised at time of order that there was no 4x4 compatible recovery points, then Jeep do not have a leg to stand on. You can either get compo, get a full refund or get them to make good. This could be an interesting problem for Jeep as they have to sort the problem out, then cannot just send you a letter after the fact and say tough titties. I would suggest that anyone who is affected by this problem contact their state fair trading body and lodge a formal complaint under the new ACL. I bet Jeep sort this out very fast as it will be costing them sales and if they cannot sort it out, may have a heap of used 4x4's that cannot go offroad.
I was told after I had placed the order and paid a deposit that the 2012 had no Recovery Hooks, Jeep could argue that I could have canceled the order but chose to continue with the sale after verbal notification of the change to the tow hooks.

I don't think I have a case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.