Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1,181 - 1,200 of 1,219 Posts
Re: No tow hooks? Front Recovery Soluition help

So, I just called a Jeep dealer here in Perth and the guy in the parts department was quite sure that part #82212095 ($348.55, in stock) would fit my 2012 Grand Cherokee according to his system..

This seems to contradict everything I've read online, although it does seem that since the Uneek & Chief options came on the market that the default response has been "buy those instead."

Does anyone know if perhaps the hook/mounting design has been revised to allow for fitment to the Australian models or does the dealer simply have an absolutely useless part sitting on their shelf and incorrect information in their system? (he got the details off the computer, based on my telling him I had a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo with no front sensors.. so I assume that means his computer is telling him this should fit)

So, I just called a Jeep dealer here in Perth and the guy in the parts department was quite sure that part #82212095 ($348.55, in stock) would fit my 2012 Grand Cherokee according to his system..
It is shocking that after more than 4 years the dealers are still clueless.

Does anyone know if perhaps the hook/mounting design has been revised to allow for fitment to the Australian models or does the dealer simply have an absolutely useless part sitting on their shelf and incorrect information in their system? (he got the details off the computer, based on my telling him I had a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo with no front sensors.. so I assume that means his computer is telling him this should fit)
Why don't you ask him to prove it by showing you these hooks fitted to another GC they have done. Or better yet make a bet with him - if they fit then you will happily pay the full $348.55. But if they don't fit then he gives you $348.55 so you can go and buy a Chief hook.

Good luck!

Reactions: BobT

Mate i fitted them to my 2012 model but needed to fab a plate. Its pretty simple. The dealer also gave them to me once he realized he had a shelved item that to most was useless. It would be worth putting the question forward. The plates i made are pictured here with measurements

Why's that? I don't think I've seen anything about issues fitting plates with the Uneek points?
I think in most cases people stick to one brand to avoid installation incompatiblies. Just a heads up that not everything works with everything...

I think in most cases people stick to one brand to avoid installation incompatiblies. Just a heads up that not everything works with everything...
Ah ok yeah, thats fair enough and I agree that is something which needs to be kept in mind. Uneek have a bash plate to suit the 2012 GC too, so I would expect either they will work together or Uneek will be able to advise what is required to make them work. Either way though that isn't something I intend to be tackling in the next month or two - Higher priorities for now, I'll just have to be careful what lines I pick :p

I've gone ahead and ordered the Uneek points. Should have them by the end of next week. Snatch strap arrived (forgot to order any shackles though, doh haha) and rear recovery point (hitch receiver) was posted yesterday too so I'm going to feel much more comfortable going off-road very soon. Safe in the knowledge that at least if I get stuck there will be a means to drag my sorry arse out haha.

Ah ok yeah, thats fair enough and I agree that is something which needs to be kept in mind. Uneek have a bash plate to suit the 2012 GC too, so I would expect either they will work together or Uneek will be able to advise what is required to make them work. Either way though that isn't something I intend to be tackling in the next month or two - Higher priorities for now, I'll just have to be careful what lines I pick :p

I've gone ahead and ordered the Uneek points. Should have them by the end of next week. Snatch strap arrived (forgot to order any shackles though, doh haha) and rear recovery point (hitch receiver) was posted yesterday too so I'm going to feel much more comfortable going off-road very soon. Safe in the knowledge that at least if I get stuck there will be a means to drag my sorry arse out haha.
The Uneek tow hooks are just that, tow hooks not recovery hooks. Actually they are points not hooks but who's counting. So, fine for towing and straight pulls but if you intend to snatch, I would high recommend using an equaliser strap to distribute the load between both points.

The Uneek tow hooks are just that, tow hooks not recovery hooks. Actually they are points not hooks but who's counting. So, fine for towing and straight pulls but if you intend to snatch, I would high recommend using an equaliser strap to distribute the load between both points.
Equaliser strap is sitting in the recovery gear box, right next to the snatch strap :)

The Uneek hooks are rated to 3000Kg individually so using both with equaliser strap should be adequate for recovery. Watched a video recently of a Ford Ranger with offroad trailer attached where they measured the load of the recovery with snatch strap. They had the Ranger deep in a bog with trailer and the load was 3160kgs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ib-tY-f8U&feature=youtu.be

The Uneek hooks are rated to 3000Kg individually so using both with equaliser strap should be adequate for recovery. Watched a video recently of a Ford Ranger with offroad trailer attached where they measured the load of the recovery with snatch strap. They had the Ranger deep in a bog with trailer and the load was 3160kgs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ib-tY-f8U&feature=youtu.be
It's an impressive video. I'm an Engineer and judging by the presenter's language, I'd guess the script writer, is an Engineer also. He makes an interesting point that their tests show that the dynamic load required to snatch a vehicle out of a bog is not much different to the mass of the vehicle. Off the top of my head, I would have thought it would be much higher. Chief Products decided to go with a working load limit of 4,500kg for their recovery hooks. These are Engineer certified. Not sure if Uneek's hooks are engineered. They may be. Where they say their hooks are "rated" at 3,000kg they probably mean working load limit but it's not clear.

The uneek points are much stronger than what Toyota drivers have been using for 15 years to snatch out.

It's an impressive video. I'm an Engineer and judging by the presenter's language, I'd guess the script writer, is an Engineer also. He makes an interesting point that their tests show that the dynamic load required to snatch a vehicle out of a bog is not much different to the mass of the vehicle. Off the top of my head, I would have thought it would be much higher. Chief Products decided to go with a working load limit of 4,500kg for their recovery hooks. These are Engineer certified. Not sure if Uneek's hooks are engineered. They may be. Where they say their hooks are "rated" at 3,000kg they probably mean working load limit but it's not clear.
I saw this and thought I'd post a quick reply.

Based on our research, 1.5 times GVM is considered the engineering standard for recovery points. This is probably why Jeep engineered the front mounting points to 4,500kg and the Jeep Australia Hook is rated to 4,500kg WLL.

The presenter in the TJM video mentions that the forces in a typical snatch recovery are about the same as GVM, which is correct, but a good recovery point should also be able to withstand the forces of a more seriously bogged (non-standard) recovery. Bury that same Ford Ranger in mud 6 inches deeper and those recovery forces will go up significantly. It should also be noted that the curb weight of a dual cab Ford Ranger is about 300-500kg less than a GC, although the trailer in the video probably makes up for that.

Using a bridle strap to distribute recovery forces over both recovery points can be extremely helpful, (and recommended) but there are a few things to remember. First, the WLL when using a bridle strap with (2) ecovery points is only 80% of the combined ratings, 3000kg * 2 * 0.80 = 4800kg (not 6000kg). Second, this rating drops quickly if the pull is not directly in front of the vehicle, because the loads are unequally distributed to the recovery points.

Finally, keep in mind that many will also want recovery points that can be used with a winch. For a 10,000lb winch that would be about 4500kg.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Bill

You might be interested to note that the Chief recovery points now have aluminium spacer plates instead of steel. It saves 4kg a pair with no loss of strength. I might not sound like much buy that's 4kg less right up front pounding the front suspension all day on the Gibb River Road.

Reactions: GMWK2 and bmackin
You might be interested to note that the Chief recovery points now have aluminium spacer plates instead of steel. It saves 4kg a pair with no loss of strength. I might not sound like much buy that's 4kg less right up front pounding the front suspension all day on the Gibb River Road.
The pair i got from Ohio deisel parts came with alluminium spacers and look identical to chiefs. Could i have bought directly from chiefs supplier??

They were half the price around US$250 for the pair.
http:https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c8b4a65c923/IMG_9414.JPG

http:https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c8b46be89d6/IMG_9378.JPG

Btw, these a damn heavy, solid and thick. Comes with the correct bolts and instructions. Torque specs etc. these are nothing like the uneek recover points.

1,181 - 1,200 of 1,219 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.