Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still find my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee noisy . It is suppose to have that noise cancellation thing built in. how do I know if it is working?
Do I have to have the radio turn on ?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Noisy? How so?

All vehicles have more or less road noise depending on the make, tires/tire wear, bodyh noise dampening and the terrain/roads they're driven in.
Some roads are just plain noisy no matte the vehicle.

Don't know what your expectations are but most Jeeps by definition are designed to be driven off road.
Meaning a stiffer suspension has to be designed to take off road bumps, rocks and ruts.
A Jeep is not a smooth Cadillac ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noisy? How so?

All vehicles have more or less road noise depending on the make, tires/tire wear, bodyh noise dampening and the terrain/roads they're driven in.
Some roads are just plain noisy no matte the vehicle.

Don't know what your expectations are but most Jeeps by definition are designed to be driven off road.
Meaning a stiffer suspension has to be designed to take off road bumps, rocks and ruts.
A Jeep is not a smooth Cadillac ride.
The noise is a low frequency thump going over anything especially gravel roads , I find there is a constant rumble in the cabin that annoys me for a new vehicle. My wife does not hear it which makes me think, is it my sensitive hearing? I self diagnosed myself with hyperacusis. I know Jeeps are made to off road and stiffer suspension, but I owned a Jeep Liberty 2002 from new and loved it which I thought would getting the "Grand" a wise decision, but no I actually hate it. I bought 18" tires to change things up from 20". placed insulating matting under my floor mats and trunk mat. no help.., sorry but, next purchase is not a Jeep

·
Super Moderator
9,634 Posts
Active noise cancellation works most effectively on low to mid frequencies...the "noise sound" is captured and retransmitted out of phase which effectively cancels it out, for the most part. (There are some folks who have physical issues with using active noise cancellation, however) The effect will not likely be "dramatic" when the system is working properly, but the overall background noise level while toodling along should be lower than without the system. Please note that this system is not implemented/available on all JGCs...

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
208 Posts
I find our WK2 is one of the quieter vehicles out there - yes I drive a lot on gravel roads as well.

I am not sure what you are comparing it to, plus it does depend on which model you have as the higher end units have more sound deadening material installed. Road noise is fairly hard to eliminate as it is depended on so many factors including the road surface (fresh pavement is the best :) ).

I also personally find no difference in road noise between my 18" rims vs the 20" (maybe on the gravel, but the winter tires tend to throw more rocks) - the ride is a bit smoother on the 18" for obvious reasons - but tread pattern will also make a difference.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Active noise cancellation works most effectively on low to mid frequencies...the "noise sound" is captured and retransmitted out of phase which effectively cancels it out, for the most part. (There are some folks who have physical issues with using active noise cancellation, however) The effect will not likely be "dramatic" when the system is working properly, but the overall background noise level while toodling along should be lower than without the system. Please note that this system is not implemented/available on all JGCs...
First of all Jim you are correct in that noise cancelling systems monitor road noise frequencies and their amplitude then instantly blast the same frequency and amplitude level 180 deg. out of phase.

I assumed all late year WK2's have dynamic noise cancelling. Maybe not?
There are unbeknownst to me all kinds of sensors in my WK2 in the A-pillar and elsewhere.
I'm sure some of those are microphones for various cell and help functions.

Maybe the absent of some of those sensors means there's no dynamic noise cancelling system?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,348 Posts
I find my 2014 JGC is very quiet at speed, say over 35 or 40. At slower speeds it really thumps from cracks and tar strips in the road. I believe to some extent those thumps seem louder in the jeep because the higher frequency noises are well filter out by sound deadening. So the fact that it's quiet makes it seem un-quiet at lower speeds for those low frequencies. My theory anyway.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm always suspicious when a new member's first post contains a link to a product for sale, especially when it is not used in the GC itself.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
337 Posts
Interesting to read this especially if you have non low profile tires and stock exhaust. My mother is a luxury car person and has to have the quietest vehicles. She said my TrailHawk was one of the quietest she's been in and she's owned all the German brands and just traded in her Lexus for an Audi Q7. Said she wanted a GC but after test driving the Summit trim it's passenger seat was incredibly uncomfortable so it was off the list.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,572 Posts
The JGC Summit with ANC was tested at 66dB, which is VERY quiet(y).
And both SWMBO and I can attest to its quietness on the road....better than my 2014 JGC Overland ED, which did not have ANC.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
88 Posts
We recently took my 17 Summit to Florida from Ohio on a 3100 mile trip and even my wife said it is quieter than her Lexus RX 350 with the luxury package. I see the op didn’t mention what trim level he has either. I’ll guarantee that a limited has less sound deadening than the levels above it. What you pay for is what you get. When I was a dealer tech, I use to get these kind of complaints with lower level mini vans and I had to tactfully explain that to them.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
77 Posts
My Trailhawk has the ANC system and the laminated front side glass and windshield (the "new" sound deadening glass). My 2018 is very quiet and much quieter than my 2014 ever was.

Although, I had a weird noise in my vehicle shortly after buying it, and took it to the dealer for diagnosis. They replaced the rear diff and the noise was still there - sort of. Jeep corporate took it for a spin and said the noise was normal "gear" noise and no further evaluation was needed. The sound returned about a year later, but I got used to it. Then about a year further it died down and hasn't bothered me.

During these noise investigations I tired to understand the ANC system. When I asked the dealer if they had a way to tell if the ANC system was malfunctioning or working normally the service writer essentially said "not really." My amateur opinion is that the system focuses mostly on engine noise and not road noise. I can attest that I rarely hear exhaust or engine noise. All I really hear is wind noise and road noise from the tires.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think it only works when you are in ECO mode if I remember correctly. Possibly the OP is sport mode, or has turned off ECO?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts