Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last week, I searched and read many A/C threads, and I am curious for those that have not had any A/C failure, are these conditions normal? I didn't experience this with a 2015 Charger or a 2017 Cherokee, so it raises my eyebrows.

1. The Darth Vader breathing/hissing upon turning on A/C. From many posts I read, it would seem that is a sign of a leaking evaporator or failing expansion valve, but is it always a sign of a problem?

2. With it set to MAX A/C on an 80F degree day, should the compressor cycle on and off at cruising speed (~70 mph). I could clearly tell the air temp was fluctuating the way it does if the compressor cycles. I can see how that is normal, but just curious.

3. Would this occurrence be normal? Vehicle has sat in sun for hours, it is started with A/C set to AUTO 71 degrees. Ambient temp is mid 70s. Within the first minute of operation while idling in the parking lot, the compressor clearly cycled off as the air temp coming out of the vent became warm air for ~5 seconds, then it started cooling again.

During the drive after that above start-up, I set it to MAX A/C for several miles. When I changed it back to AUTO-71F, it stayed stuck in MAX operation for at least 2 minutes. I had to bump the temp to 72 for it to actually go back to AUTO operation. Not a big deal, but after going back to AUTO, the first stoplight where I let Start/Stop activate, I got the most horrendous "dirty sock" smell. It did it again at the next stoplight. I was surprised to get the "dirty sock phenomenon" with a brand new vehicle in it's first season to use the A/C. Thankfully, I have not smelled it since that day.

I don't want the dealer chasing a problem that doesn't exist, but the Vader hissing and the way the compressor cycled off in #3 so soon makes me wonder if there is a problem.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
138 Posts
My 2018 failed to cool after a few months in the summer I bought it. There was hissing and a lot of cycling, but warmish or coolish air - nothing cold. On a cool day it could keep the cabin cool, but not after a day in the sun in late afternoon. Dealer said only way to check the "new" refrigerant (I think it is 1234 or something like that), was to remove it and weigh it in the machine. I was only at half a charge. The couldn't find a leak and thought it was just a partial fill for the factory. Then as I was waiting for my vehicle return, the mechanic spotted dye in my evaporator drain. Very lucky to see it, but unfortunately for me - it meant a new evaporator two weeks later when the part arrived. The new systems are so flaky, but I think its worth having it checked out. If you aren't sure about the skill of your dealer, then get a thermometer and start documenting the temp of the air exiting the vents. It should be like 50 or 60F when it is first trying to cool the car. The blend door may warm it up slightly, but I know it should be good and cold even on a hot day. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, oilspot. I know that had to be frustrating. I will start recording the vent temp on mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts