Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a new member and this is my second post. I recently bought a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Loredo I Think) 4.0L, with the check engine light on. The DTC was P0138. After changing what I researched to be the Bank1/Sensor2 O2 sensor, I was able to clear the code, but after a week it's back. Is there anything other than the sensor that could be causing this trouble code?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Uh definitely sensors first man. Cats are rather expensive and a royal pain get out. I'd much rather spend 40 on a good sensor than 400 on the cats. Try sensors first, especially since you have and o2 sensor code.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the sensor you replaced before the catalytic converter or after? Sensor 2 will be after the catalytic converter.
Definitely AFTER the first cat. Like I said, when I cleared the code it was clear for a week before returning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your computer was sensing the cats are bad or not performing well enough, you'll get a p0420 code. In that case you need to get a new cat but in your situation your computer is doing exactly what it is intended to do, monitoring sensors and telling you when theres a fault with them. That is why you are getting an o2 sensor code, not a catalytic converter code. Replace the sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts