Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some off road difficulty scales for Moab and other areas that go from 1 - 9. Here is example of one grading system: https://www.4x4trailinfo.com/ShowRating.php?system=5

With a WK2 with Quadra-lift, Quadra-trac and Selec-Terrian what difficulty level could the WK2 go without risking it?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, technically the WK2 can make it through the Rubicon Trial. The website you linked to claims the Rubicon is an 8-10 on the 1 to 10 scale. The trail difficulty the WK2 is capable of will greatly depend on the driver skill, what aids that driver has (spotters, tires, etc), and what that driver defines as "risking it".

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trailhawk might be a notch ahead of the Overland cause of the little extra clearance.
Agreed, but I already have Overland so I need to make do.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, technically the WK2 can make it through the Rubicon Trial. The website you linked to claims the Rubicon is an 8-10 on the 1 to 10 scale. The trail difficulty the WK2 is capable of will greatly depend on the driver skill, what aids that driver has (spotters, tires, etc), and what that driver defines as "risking it".
Thanks, I am not interested in rock climbing and I would never think of a 8-10 trail, just wantto get off beaten path.

Based on link provided it looks like I would be comfortable up to #5. But what size "step" is the Overland capable with 13", 18", 24" higher, lower??? I have full Rocky-Road and Chiefs under armor, and with Air-Suspension set to highest I believe it's 13" of ground clearance.

I am also looking at 4x4 instruction this year.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thanks, I am not interested in rock climbing and I would never think of a 8-10 trail, just wantto get off beaten path.

Based on link provided it looks like I would be comfortable up to #5. But what size "step" is the Overland capable with 13", 18", 24" higher, lower??? I have full Rocky-Road and Chiefs under armor, and with Air-Suspension set to highest I believe it's 13" of ground clearance.

I am also looking at 4x4 instruction this year.
Did you do a modification to get it to 13" of ground clearance?

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
Trailhawk might be a notch ahead of the Overland cause of the little extra clearance.
As has been noted in other threads, the minor improvements added to QL in current versions of Trailhawk also seem to have been inherited by other trims with QL and ORA-II. They really only made the bump stop thinner, for the most part it seems. And OR-II level isn't usable for more than crawling over something that you can't quite fit over in OR-I level...at least if you want to retain your kidneys.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you do a modification to get it to 13" of ground clearance?
No modifications, in "off-road 2" setting it actually a little less 12.75" height at the lowest part of middle of undercarraige. This is about right all around.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
No modifications, in "off-road 2" setting it actually a little less 12.75" height at the lowest part of middle of undercarraige. This is about right all around.
I don't know how your getting that. OR 2 is 10.8" of ground clearance. You would gain a little from the bigger tires, but not that much.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how your getting that. OR 2 is 10.8" of ground clearance. You would gain a little from the bigger tires, but not that much.
Where do you measure underneath Jeep to get 10.5"?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Where do you measure underneath Jeep to get 10.5"?
I don't know where the official measurement is, but it's well documented by Jeep themselves that it's 10.8" on OR2. I have a Trailhawk and when I measure from the bottom of the fuel skid plate I do get around 10.8".

Your tires I think are around 1" or so taller, so 1/2 of that would be added to the ground clearance since it's below the body of the Jeep.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know where the official measurement is, but it's well documented by Jeep themselves that it's 10.8" on OR2. I have a Trailhawk and when I measure from the bottom of the fuel skid plate I do get around 10.8".

Your tires I think are around 1" or so taller, so 1/2 of that would be added to the ground clearance since it's below the body of the Jeep.
its 13"........here is pic, the Overland does have 20" wheels so could be reason.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
its 13"........here is pic, the Overland does have 20" wheels so could be reason.

I think your measuring it wrong. The stock 18s and 20s have the same OD on the tires which is 30.5" You put on 275/55/20 which have an OD of 31.9". You would gain around 1/2 the difference or 0.7" to the 10.8" in OR2 which would bring you to around 11.5" if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's fairly flat underneath, anywhere I measure is roughly 13", my car has been recalled about 8 times, maybe the geniuses at Jeep screwed up.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think your measuring it wrong. The stock 18s and 20s have the same OD on the tires which is 30.5" You put on 275/55/20 which have an OD of 31.9". You would gain around 1/2 the difference or 0.7" to the 10.8" in OR2 which would bring you to around 11.5" if I'm not mistaken.
I measured to the fuel skid plate as you did, seeing is believing:thumbsup: I can't account for 1 1/2" difference but tape says 13.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
20" wheels are irrelevant to the vehicle hight. Only tire diameter will affect that and tire diameter is independent of wheel size. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the fuel tank may be higher up than the front skid/undertray in normal ride height. The jeep specs are the absolute minimum clearance not counting the suspension bits.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
603 Posts
I'd say with experience and/or experienced spotter/friend the Grand Cherokee is probably good for 7-8 on that scale. I'm using my Trailhawk as reference. After having 4 Wranglers varying from slightly modded lift/33s to fairly modded lift/35's/upgraded axles etc......I sometimes cringe initially at some of the stuff I've done in my Tralhawk but its done it without issue and I have been quite surprised how well it wheels. It is a definite learning curve since the fully independent suspension obviously handles a lot different than the solid axles. Another thing is I have the rock rails on mine, if I didn't my assessment of 7-8 would be much lower, but with the skids and rock rails the Grand Cherokee is a very capable platform. For heavier use I'd recommend upgrading the tires to something a bit more off road biased. I run 275/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs just as an example.

As far as the Grand Cherokee running the Rubicon Trail, yes it can do it but on a vehicle I own and don't have the support of FCA/endless bank account I wouldn't do it. I've run the Rubicon Trail twice and there are a few places I wouldn't have any issue running in my Grand but I wouldn't attempt the trail in its entirety. Could it be done with good spotters and some backup rigs......I sure it could, would you want the vehicle after it did the trail......um probably not. In my Trailhawk I've run Broken Arrow In Sedona AZ, White Rim in Canyonlands NP Utah, Tower Arch trail in Arches NP Utah, Some pretty rough trails in Phoenix area AZ, as well as quite a bit of desert 2 track in Utah/Nevada visiting ghost towns and mines.

In my very unscientific opinion I feel the Grand Cherokee with skids and rock rails a very capable off roader, probably more so than I'd be comfortable with, and mostly far beyond what the vast majority of buyers would ever want or need it to do.

I'd say start out fairly easy and slowly get familiar with yours and work your way up till you feel your at the edge of your comfort zone, I'd bet the vehicle would easily pass your desire/comfort level. HTH

Reactions: 68camaro

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
He's got 275/55/20 which are 1.4" taller than stock so he should only gain around 1/2 of that above the 10.8" correct?
Correct. OEM diameter is ~30.6", give or take, regardless of wheel size. Upsizing tires brings you 1/2 of that additional diameter relative to height over the ground for whatever is "normal" height. So half of 1.4" ...about .7" ...would be the additional gain in clearance without making any physical changes to the suspension.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts