Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed yesterday on a 2018 WK2 Sterling Edition. Reasons were many. I’ve had the Brightlines Crossbars on for 2 years and mounted a Tepui RTT about 6 times. I always felt a bit nervous with that setup and even crawling into the tent I questioned the roof’s ability to support the weight of more than me. The tent also beat the crap out of the crossbars and the rubber gasket running the length of them to the point I had to remove it and gorilla tape the gap. I wanted a secure, modular platform for both my current RTT and future mods/plans that “upgrade” the roof’s dynamic and static capabilities.
Installation took 3 hours. The directions are crap but with common sense I managed. Incredibly well built, solid, high quality components. This thing will likely outlive this WK2!
I will update this post with observations.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,849 Posts
I'm not sure I would trust a RTT on anything other than something like this, or the one made by Chief. Looks good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two weeks in with this roof rack. Driving around I immediately noticed the added weight and wind resistance. It’s like driving with a passenger or two, really not a big deal and eventually I don’t think I’ll even notice. The noise was a bit of surprise. I expected wind noise but there was a high pitched whistle starting at 40 mph and increasing in intensity the faster you go. OffRoad Animal is extremely responsive and texted with me to share some solutions. I adjusted the rack as far forward as possible (you can slide it back or forward about an inch or two) and added pinch weld to the front lip of the wind deflector. Now it doesn’t make any noise until 60 or 65 depending on the wind outside. I may add some skateboard grip tape to the top of the rails where there are some holes to continue the sound diffusing effort. I am debating removing the first rail that blocks the sunroof since I’m not sure I even need it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting you notice the weight of just the rack, I had a spare, 2 jerries and my awning for a Simpson Crossing and the car drove no different with the weight up top

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting you notice the weight of just the rack, I had a spare, 2 jerries and my awning for a Simpson Crossing and the car drove no different with the weight up top
Do you have a Hemi? Mine is the Pentastar with 8 speed. It was a subtle difference but I could tell the slight lag in shift in the lower gears and also when taking the foot off how it would slow down. This is also a very robust rack...and it was a two person lift to get it up there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have a Hemi? Mine is the Pentastar with 8 speed. It was a subtle difference but I could tell the slight lag in shift in the lower gears and also when taking the foot off how it would slow down. This is also a very robust rack...and it was a two person lift to get it up there.
Nope, not the hemi, 5 SPD Ecodiesel Overland with QL.
I've ditched my old rack as the stock mounts suck, waiting on a Chief rack to be delivered

1 - 7 of 7 Posts