Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Overland
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has probably been asked previously, but I was not able to find it.

I had to do my oil change on the WK2 and replacement filter I got was the Mopar filter for the 5.7L from Parts Authority. When I went to swap out the filter I found out that the filter installed on the truck smaller, much small, and the filter I got from Parts Authority did not fit at all and it was larger. I even went to Walmart just to see what size comes up on their system and its the one that I got from Walmart.

Are there two filter sizes for the 2015 5.7L?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,467 Posts
Since we're on the subject here and now.....

3 things about filter size.
  • Is it correctly sized to fit the oil filter adapter, i.e. does it screw on properly and the seal lines up and seals properly. That obviously is the most important dimensions, it simply will not work otherwise.
  • How big is the filter element and other inner parts, and what quality are they. All things being equal, a bigger filter element would be better, but you can achieve the same result with better materials in a smaller package.
  • Is the filters outer dimensions too big, does it interfere with other equipment? Does it extend below the rest of the vehicle where it can be hit by an obstacle and cause a loss of oil?

Often one interface size for a filter (the dimension to properly bolt up and seal) can have dozens of different sized filters to go along with it, not all of the different sizes can be used a certain vehicles because of the other considerations.

And not all things are equal between filters, there are different materials and levels of quality used. So a smaller filter does not necessarily mean its a lesser filter or unable to handle the volume of oil of a larger engine.

Also keep in mind these high volume oil change places, for the quicky 30 minute oil change, have to stock an enormous number of oil filters. Its pretty tempting to stock oil filters that will work for the most number of cars, thus reducing your overall stock while increasing your availability. Thus they cross-reference the oil filter sizes and stock the smallest sized filter for a family of filters, thus they have increased the number of cars they can service with one sized filter by 10 fold. Even the Stealerships that do oil changes might be tempted to do the same, considering the behavior I've seen from too many Dealership Service departments, this wouldn't surprise me one bit at all.

So folks have been playing these games with oil filters for years, using different sizes. Rip off shops using the smallest filter that works, enthusiast DIY'er using the largest that works (perhaps making a mistake because it rubs on something or extends low enough to get caught on a rock, etc).

Just did my first oil change on my 2011 I got used, and yes, I went with the Wix recommended Filter, and noticed the filter I got from the Wix's catalog was considerably bigger than the one I took off from the previous owner, perhaps a quicky oil change shop used this smaller filter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts