Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '07 WK 3.0 CRD. I also have a concrete driveway that is suffering from this vehicle. I have replaced the oil cooler and the cold air intake. My mechanic stated that they replaced all the gaskets after oil cooler replacement so where else does it leak?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a '07 WK 3.0 CRD. I also have a concrete driveway that is suffering from this vehicle. I have replaced the oil cooler and the cold air intake. My mechanic stated that they replaced all the gaskets after oil cooler replacement so where else does it leak?
Is it only leaking after an oil change? A couple of times our oil leak was simply residual oil dripping from the skid plate that collected during a sloppy oil change. Now I make sure to ask they remove the skid plate during oil changes.

But perhaps it is your rear main seal. We've had ours replaced twice. I think this cost us around $300 the first time because Chrysler covered half, and around $700 the second time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s due for a change so no. My mechanic misdiagnosed rear main before the oil cooler. Said mercedes had such a leaking problem, they designed a drain in through the block. Said it’s hard to diagnose since oil pools in middle and drains out weep hole...

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,172 Posts
Might be worth adding in a UV dye to the oil to help track the origin of the leak. Also a good cleaning of the engine will help to find it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It’s due for a change so no. My mechanic misdiagnosed rear main before the oil cooler. Said mercedes had such a leaking problem, they designed a drain in through the block. Said it’s hard to diagnose since oil pools in middle and drains out weep hole...
Our first leak was in 2011 (around 30k miles) and our second leak was about a year and a half ago (around 104k miles) . When I was told for the second time that we had a leaking rear main seal, I had a VERY difficult time believing it. Our mechanic, a senior technician at the dealership (and my neighbor), cleaned the area and used the UV dye and convinced me that it was in fact the rear main seal (again). Our oil leak stopped both times after the rear main seal was replaced.

Can you absolutely rule out the rear main seal? You mentioned your mechanic misdiagnosed the rear main seal before the oil cooler... does that mean you did have yours replaced already, but the leak was not fixed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts