Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

I've searched and searched and I've only found one other post regarding the problem that I'm having.

Oil Life wont stay reset

It's not really a problem, more so an annoyance which started about 23k miles ago...or two oil changes ago...

I know resetting the OLM on these things has seemingly been a tricky issue for some. I don't have an issue with the actual reset procedure itself except for maybe having to repeat it two or three times to get the timing right.
So OK, great, I am able to reset the monitor...except if you turn the jeep off and walk away for 15 minutes, you'll come back to find the OLM has "forgotten" that it has been reset - it reverts back to it's previous state of 0% and the milage counter shows ~23000 miles since last reset (the one time I had it work and stick in my ownership).

I've tried a number of different combinations and things to try and "fix" the issue.

If you reset the indicator, turn the jeep off, then back on and go for a drive, the OLM will appear to function normal in the rest state. However, once you complete your drive and leave the jeep, you'll find that the next time you get in to go for a drive that the OLM has reverted to it's previous state.

I've also gotten the OLM to get confused to where it will say the last rest was over 40k miles ago...then it seemingly remembers that it's really been reset 23k miles ago.

I know this is a bit rambly, but I've tried many combinations and timings. I can't seem to figure this one out.

The Jeep is a 2014 WK2 ecodiesel with approximately 133k miles on the clock.
I purchased it at 99k and change.
The first oil change was around 109k miles at which point the reset procedure worked fine.
At around 120k miles I deleted it and used an HD diesel supply tune out of Canada.
I did reach out to them, but they said that the tune should have no affect on that function. I did try flashing the tune back and resetting the monitor. It persisted after I flashed the tune back to the new tune, but once again after letting the jeep sit for about 15 min (I'm guess the time it takes some system to fully shut down), the OLM acts as if it has never been reset.

Any thoughts? has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps something needs a reflash - which I suppose means the dealer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try doing it with AlfaOBD. I think I remember reading this in another group as well and something was mentioned about soot & dpf.

Check the DPF in Alfa too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Try doing it with AlfaOBD. I think I remember reading this in another group as well and something was mentioned about soot & dpf.

Check the DPF in Alfa too.

Thanks for the reply

I should have mentioned this in the original post - I did reset it with AlfaOBD and I was hopeful that was the ticket...it wasn't.

What about the DPF AlfaOBD? that's long since been removed? - Oh wait reread your post...hmm ok like some DPF or ash counter needs to be reset?
I'll have to poke through it when my wife comes back home tomorrow.

OK final edit I think - I clicked the link and actually read it DOH - sorry I didn't do that before...trying to juggle a few things at once. Now Im excited to try this!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well....
I had high hopes to try Alfa again - see if I missed something the first time.

I tried the reset procedure in Alfa (turns out this is exactly what I tried when I last tried to tackle this problem a few months ago).
The reset procedure in Alfa works, but the same thing occurs after a short period of time.

In sequence...
  • Reset OLM via Alfa with Jeep in Run position, but not started.
    • powered off Jeep, opened and closed the door and then waited 30 seconds (I personally think all of this overkill, but at this point, I'm grasping at anything)
  • Started Jeep and OLM showed oil life 100%
    • Shut down and exited the Jeep
  • Returned to the Jeep 10 minutes later and restarted it again. OLM still shows 100%
    • shut down and exited the Jeep
  • Returned to the Jeep 20 minutes later (30 minutes total elapsed from reset) - OLM now shows 0%
Argh...

Maybe random, maybe something worth noting, during the brief period before crank, the OLM briefly shows 25% before dropping to 0% - I think this is more of just a boot up thing more than anything, but who knows at this point.

When I have some more time to screw around with it, I want to redo this test and try and narrow down the time it takes to revert. Then I am going to flash the ECU back to stock and reset the OLM. If after "X" amount of time elapses and the OLM doesn't revert, then maybe it's the tune?
I did already try a variation of this when I last screwed around with this problem. I flashed the ECU back to stock and then reset the OLM. After which I immediately flashed the tune. As I am sure you can guess, after short period of time the OLM again reverted.
I'm not hopeful my new variation of this test is going to yield different results, but worth a try I guess.
Another point worth noting - when I originally flashed the HD diesel tune to the ECU I was between oil changes. I don't recall exactly what the OLM said, but it was something that made sense.

Check your mileage on the ECU vs the evic. It's just a flyer but I wonder if they are different and that is causing a conflict. If all else fails I would probably try ECU reset in Alfa.
I compared the milage - I didn't put the EVIC units to metric, but I did manually convert the indicated milage to KMs and when compared to the ECU, it was within 1 or 2 km - I did it quickly by multiplying by 1.6 so I am sure it was a precision issue.

I poked through Alfa some more and I didn't see anything else that made sense to try. You mention an ECU reset in Alfa, I didn't see anything along these lines, can you point me in the right direction?

I have had the battery disconnected before as I had to change the battery earlier this year, so that's been tried as well.

I mean really this is just more of an annoyance than an actual problem, but it's one of those things that's going to bug me!

-Josh

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only other thing that I can think of is ECU reset. I dont think the oil life is stored elsewhere. Reset the ECU, turn off the vehicle, and go eat a sandwich. It takes a while for the ECU to talk to the various modules after you turn it off.

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sheesh, I guess I need to work on my reading comprehension- I completely missed that option, even though I stared at that list and recall reading "vin write".

Thanks for pointing it out to me 🤦🏻‍♂️
I just gave it a try. I'll update here when I try the OLM reset again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it's been a while, I did try the ECU reset. No change.

I guess I'll have to try flashing back to stock as I discussed above (and doing a whole test), live with it, or gasp bring it to the dealer. That will be an interesting conversation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.